Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How connected do you feel of your home/country?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

How connected do you feel of your home/country?

This is actually a 2 part question:

I am in Chicago for business and had a phenomenal day.
    And the reason why is it's a tough, no nonsense town with people that don't BS
    Just so much like Boston and NYC

I love that I have lived outside Boston most of my adult life and travelled so much.....it really helped me grow.
    But I am so connected to my home in Boston and the reaso I think is just everyone is similar to me.

2nd part:
    If you live away from your country do you feel at home?
    I have now lived in Canada for 10 years....almost a 1/4 of my life....that blows me away.
    I have an absolute deep love for the country. And a HUGE appreciation.
    Canada will always be a special place for me.
    But I've never truly felt it was home. Maybe if I was living in the East Coast cities like Montreal or Toronto. As much as I love living in Vancouver and LOVE my friends there......I feel I am so much different than people there that I always feel like an outsider.....my fault, not theirs.

Just interested in what others think about the subject

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    I grew up in Zimbabwe, then called Rhodesia. But I have spent more of my life in SA. Cape Town to me is home and I no longer feel any real connection with the country of my birth.
    But they were turbulent times, so that does come in to play with how I feel.

Platinum
    Would adjust to wherever I lived I think
    Somethings like NZ kumara's (sweet potatoes), crayfish and Vogels bread you miss but not worth the rain and cold to get them all year round.

People
    You find nice ones everywhere I've found.

I've lived in Vancouver BC Canada for a about 30 years, and I can honestly say that I no longer feel any deep connection for the city. I love all the stuff that makes it special, but at the end of the day, it is just where I live.
    TLandHim likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Would adjust to wherever I lived I think
    Somethings like NZ kumara's (sweet potatoes), crayfish and Vogels bread you miss but not worth the rain and cold to get them all year round.

People
    You find nice ones everywhere I've found.
    I agree with this. I still feel like I am a Kiwi, even though I have now lived half my life outside NZ. NZ still feels like home, mainly because my parents are still there. Once they are no longer there, I don't think anywhere will feel like home. I have more friends now in the UK, so I feel comfortable here... Probably one of the reasons I have never settled down... I always feel like I am "passing through" wherever I have lived,..

I think I am yet to find my real home...
    TLandHim likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    I am opposite to DP ... moved to AUS from NZ 30 years ago when i was 21 .... Australia is home, not just now but has always felt that way within about 2 weeks of arriving here...

I am completely disconnected from NZ, i can hardly even remember much about my life there, its like another life all together, not this one ... the last step will be when i get my Auzzie citizenship, should have done it years ago, buts its just one of those " should get around to it" ... now i will do it with JK..

After that it will come down to which passport to get/renew !!!!!!!! ... shock horror ...555

Ohh ok i lied, just sport, could never shout for the green and gold ...555
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    i have lived here in cape town my whole life...and dont think i would like to live any where else for a long period...but me and so many saffas are watching the country slowly deteriorating...i still live a fanstastic life style here which i dont think i can match in any western country..would have to give up 90% of my worth.(exchange rate is very poor)....(but most people i know have been quietly moving money over seas now for quiet some time)..most young people(friends kids) are on there way out..im not quiet ready to do the chicken run yet...cant imagine myself living on that island where the sun never shines...maybe los is calling 555555555

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    I am opposite to DP ... moved to AUS from NZ 30 years ago when i was 21 .... Australia is home, not just now but has always felt that way within about 2 weeks of arriving here...

I am completely disconnected from NZ, i can hardly even remember much about my life there, its like another life all together, not this one ... the last step will be when i get my Auzzie citizenship, should have done it years ago, buts its just one of those " should get around to it" ... now i will do it with JK..

After that it will come down to which passport to get/renew !!!!!!!! ... shock horror ...555

Ohh ok i lied, just sport, could never shout for the green and gold ...555
    That you still support NZ in sport maybe shows where your heart lies?

None of my friends are still living where I grew up... so that connection has gone. But the great memories of growing up, including school and university are embedded... and will never go... its funny, but when I go back to NZ I feel a spiritual connection with the Earth there... and considering I am not really spiritualist at all... must mean something...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    i have lived here in cape town my whole life...and dont think i would like to live any where else for a long period...but me and so many saffas are watching the country slowly deteriorating...i still live a fanstastic life style here which i dont think i can match in any western country..would have to give up 90% of my worth.(exchange rate is very poor)....(but most people i know have been quietly moving money over seas now for quiet some time)..most young people(friends kids) are on there way out..im not quiet ready to do the chicken run yet...cant imagine myself living on that island where the sun never shines...maybe los is calling 555555555
    What exactly are the currency export restrictions Bally.
    Can you take out $10,000 (US value) each time you leave like most countries without declaring it?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    It will be nice and something special for you and JK to do it together Sydney.

And by the way, I'm lobbying with the immigration minister to get a mandatory decoration of support for the Green and Gold as part of citizenship
    Sydney likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    What exactly are the currency export restrictions Bally.
    Can you take out $10,000 (US value) each time you leave like most countries without declaring it?
    its not getting the money out of the country that is the problem Baz its the bad exchange rate...

not sure of my numbers but think im allowed 5 million rands out a year..which is roughly around 500 000 thousand aussie$

and yes when buying foreign money it is automatically declared with the reserve bank...but taking out $10 000..would not raise any eyebrows..its quiet normal...it would cost a family of 4 more than that for an overseas holiday

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Last time I thought about it there was about 5 ZAR to 1 AUD.
    Now 9.3
    But looking at a 10 year graph it ain't improving so if you wanted to cut your losses and run there is nothing to indicate it will get better.

It's not what the FX rate is - it's what can it buy where you are going.
    Forget OZ - far too expensive now if you are spending Rand.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    That you still support NZ in sport maybe shows where your heart lies?

No not at all ... just love being the underdog and then getting to rev the Aussies up ....555

On the rare occasion ..55
    Quarky likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    I have lived in Australia since I was 26 (now 60), but even though I have my Australian Citizenship, I will always be English.
    I was born their bought up there and its home if if ever things go pear shape here.
    In saying that I love living in Australia and have no problems here, but I cannot believe when I hear migrants here putting down the country where they were born and bought up, now everything Australian is great and much better than where they come from.
    I would love to tape some of the comments I have heard and send back to peoples friends and let them hear what is being said.

I never went back to the UK for 25 years after coming to Australia, but after a week at home and getting used to the "Oh haven't seen you for a while" (I felt like saying, I had not been here for 25 years idiot), but it was like I had not been away. Trips made after that were much the same. Life goes on whether you are there or not, but it was where you are born and bred and it will always be home.

As for those that move from the UK and then get all Aussied up and start supporting Australia against England in football/cricket/rugby etc, they should be turned back at passport control, their passports stamped never allowed in the UK again and tried for Treason.
    Last edited by chelski; 25th June 2015 at 19:36.
    Quarky and quiksilva like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    I have friends that are just in the process of emigrating to SA with his family , his wife is from Durban , so that's were they are moving to ..

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    I think you don't notice how connected you are to one country or another until you travel and meet people from other places. Like humor..British mates humor includes lots of taking the piss out of each other and depending how well you know each other can be pretty relentless. If you have grown up in that environment it feels second nature as to how you interact with friends, but try doing that to some proud hot bloodied Italian and he will probably take it the wrong way regardless of how well you thought you knew each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I have friends that are just in the process of emigrating to SA with his family , his wife is from Durban , so that's were they are moving to ..
    it will be real cheap until the pounds run out 555555..durban great..nice climate
    Stillearly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Last time I thought about it there was about 5 ZAR to 1 AUD.
    Now 9.3
    But looking at a 10 year graph it ain't improving so if you wanted to cut your losses and run there is nothing to indicate it will get better.

It's not what the FX rate is - it's what can it buy where you are going.
    Forget OZ - far too expensive now if you are spending Rand.
    yes baz thats what many of us are saying now..its not going to get better..if you think its bad now ...wait for a few years and then you would have wished you would have done it at current rates

an important factor...R70 for a beer in aussie R20 here in saffa....not good 55555

and have crossed aussie off the list there are to many saffas there already 555555

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    well I hold 3 passports...AUS, UK and NZ....and I have lived in each of those countries for more than 7-8 years each (at least) but mostly in AUS...so I always answer AUSSIE when anyone asks me what nationality I am without thinking..its where I grew up and where I have spent the most of my time....I have also now lived here in Thailand for 6+ years but I would never consider myself Thai even if I lived here for the rest of my life...it is only too obvious on an every day basis that farangs are only ever visitors here

I also lived 2 years in the USA (mostly NYC) and have had decent stints in Spain, France, Portugal, Hong Kong and Italy....and of course I have travelled pretty extensively...count is around about 100 different countries now

frankly I find patriotism OK if mixed with humility and in small doses however patriotism to the point of hubris drives me mad...if anyone starts up with AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI I will leave the room immediately...the hand over the heart thing national anthem thing makes me roll my eyes and having to stand to attention for the King's song is only done with gritted teeth and to not offend

I may well have just about broken free of the "home anchor" but family is still in AUS so if there is a home it is probably back there waiting to be rekindled....despite having no real sense of "home" here I am not in any hurry to rush back to AUS to reclaim my sense of "home"...a one month visit to AUS and NZ every other year normally suffices me

That old saying "home is where the heart is" always rings true...as does "love the one you're with"...555
    Quarky, PeteGill, Zablive and 1 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    well I hold 3 passports...AUS, UK and NZ....and I have lived in each of those countries for more than 7-8 years each (at least) but mostly in AUS...so I always answer AUSSIE when anyone asks me what nationality I am without thinking..its where I grew up and where I have spent the most of my time....I have also now lived here in Thailand for 6+ years but I would never consider myself Thai even if I lived here for the rest of my life...it is only too obvious on an every day basis that farangs are only ever visitors here

I also lived 2 years in the USA (mostly NYC) and have had decent stints in Spain, France, Portugal, Hong Kong and Italy....and of course I have travelled pretty extensively...count is around about 100 different countries now

frankly I find patriotism OK if mixed with humility and in small doses however patriotism to the point of hubris drives me mad...if anyone starts up with AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI I will leave the room immediately...the hand over the heart thing national anthem thing makes me roll my eyes and having to stand to attention for the King's song is only done with gritted teeth and to not offend

I may well have just about broken free of the "home anchor" but family is still in AUS so if there is a home it is probably back there waiting to be rekindled....despite having no real sense of "home" here I am not in any hurry to rush back to AUS to reclaim my sense of "home"...a one month visit to AUS and NZ every other year normally suffices me

That old saying "home is where the heart is" always rings true...as does "love the one you're with"...555
    Always made me laugh when I first went to Australia that they used to put the words on the big screens when the national anthem was sung. Coming from England where at that time I do not think I knew one person that could not sing the words to the National Anthem, it was always a big amusement to me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast