Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: how materialistic are you

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar

how materialistic are you

Think there is a big difference between wanting the good things in life rather than wanting to have all the latest cell phones/computers/cars ect....i know that many of the guys that stay in los tell me that there wants (material) have become less and less...yes they still have the same needs..but just dont have to have all the latest goods...is there any reason for that

im still driving a 5 year old 4by4..will upgrade soon....my cel goes from being the latest to old as im on contract..so its a new one every 2 years....new computer every 2 years as well..apart from that my wants are very little...

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    once very...now not so much

what made you change nels...living in los ???

I started divesting my assets about a year out from coming here...decided cash was a better option....and I have continued with that since i have been here

i don't need much here..happy with my rented house...moving into a new one bedroom place tomorrow...similar to Chobs but about 12sqm smaller...(smaller bed + kitchen but still very serviceable)...also happy to get about on my scoot so no car...and the climate + lifestyle here means there is no need to dress up

I like my nights out (down to only one or two a month these days...) but bored with the bar scene and the hangovers (2-3 days after now..and that's no fun) are really not worth it...plus i enjoy my days scootpootling around the island and lunching/swimming at my favourite beaches

TBH this last year my expenditure has dropped considerably over the year before...and each year I have been here my spend has gone down...so much so that I am now spending about half what I did when i first came here...this year was under 100K per month for the first time in 6+ years

it seems my tailor must be making my clothes made with longer pockets
    Last edited by bacwaan; 30th June 2015 at 21:13.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Wonder where I fit...I'm happy in a bed sit in Bangkok or a 90 square Queenslander its all the same...there is most likely a theme the older you get the less you need....I have taken to sleeping on a thin mattress on the floor Thai style...we don't own a dining table in Oz we live far from a lavish life style...Simple! We have nice things Mia has the latest phone mine is on its last legs..My bike is worth more than the car but it's for me practical maybe I'm practical materialistic...But if I had to make a choice of family or things I would take family in a heart beat.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I live a very minimalistic life as well, as far as material luxuries go.

However, when it comes to money I'd love to have more. Way more. Give me 10 million bucks and I'd be happy as Larry. But that would mostly be because of the excitement over the freedom money can buy rather than material things.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Platinum
    Not materialistic at all but we enjoy travel.

You do tend to fill your life with possessions that you actually don't use or need and once you get over that, life actually becomes a lot freer and more enjoyable.

3 years ago we took the drastic step of emptying the contents of our 290 sq metre, 5 bedroom house into a very large storage unit and moved to a 30 square metre studio.
    Drastic and was meant to be temporary. In 3 years we have not taken one single item back out of the storage unit.

It proves to me that we had 5 bedrooms full of junk, my wife may need more convincing.
    justcruzing1 and PeteGill like this.

my new place is 48sqm + 6sqm of balcony...it has a great feeling of space..particularly as I am looking out at trees, jungle and limestone mountains/casts...also I have the same footprint downstairs which is open...I have a sofa and BBQ down there plus parking for the bike and a place to hang clothes + there is a good sized shared pool for 8 homes which is suitable for laps

I have been in a 2 bed place sharing with a mate from AUS for the last year..it is double that space and has nice gardens and a shared pool between 2...TBH I like the new smaller place better...but I wouldn't want to live in a place less than 48sqm...that's 6m x 8m...which if divided up with any intelligence is a decent amount of space to have a reasonable queen sized bedroom with wardrobes/dressing tables etc, a fully functional kitchen, a living room suitable for a couple and a good sized bathroom

I may have downsized and have less "stuff" but I still like to have enough space and an outlook so I don't feel hemmed in...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    As much as I enjoy the finer things(and I do,sometimes too much) I am probably the least materialistic person I know, in terms of possesions.

I don't own a car, don't own a home, up until 4 years I didn't even own furniture! I rented fully furnished.

But I like expensive clothes(think better value in long run) and expensive travel, and an active social/nightlife.

So although it is not conscious choice, I don't spend much money on possessions, I spend a fair bit on lifestyle you'd say.

I just told somebody I spend like a monk Monday through Thursday and a drunken sailor Friday to Sunday 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    As much as I enjoy the finer things(and I do,sometimes too much) I am probably the least materialistic person I know, in terms of possesions.

I don't own a car, don't own a home, up until 4 years I didn't even own furniture! I rented fully furnished.

But I like expensive clothes(think better value in long run) and expensive travel, and an active social/nightlife.

So although it is not conscious choice, I don't spend much money on possessions, I spend a fair bit on lifestyle you'd say.

I just told somebody I spend like a monk Monday through Thursday and a drunken sailor Friday to Sunday 555

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    my new place is 48sqm + 6sqm of balcony...it has a great feeling of space..particularly as I am looking out at trees, jungle and limestone mountains/casts...also I have the same footprint downstairs which is open...I have a sofa and BBQ down there plus parking for the bike and a place to hang clothes + there is a good sized shared pool for 8 homes which is suitable for laps

I have been in a 2 bed place sharing with a mate from AUS for the last year..it is double that space and has nice gardens and a shared pool between 2...TBH I like the new smaller place better...but I wouldn't want to live in a place less than 48sqm...that's 6m x 8m...which if divided up with any intelligence is a decent amount of space to have a reasonable queen sized bedroom with wardrobes/dressing tables etc, a fully functional kitchen, a living room suitable for a couple and a good sized bathroom

I may have downsized and have less "stuff" but I still like to have enough space and an outlook so I don't feel hemmed in...
    sound very similar to chobby's place nels...if you were back in aussie do you think you would have made the same changes that you made to your life....my personal take is that its much easier to make these changes in los....you simply do not need need all the material things that we hold so dear in the west...that drive that so many of us have in the west certainly does not seem to be there in los or at least that is my take on it....i think we are all materialistic in our own ways..some just want more than others and want it straight away555..goes back to maslows needs and wants i suppose

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    hmmm....at one stage recently...

between 2 houses

2 cars
    4 bikes
    3 cameras
    6 phones
    3 laptops

glad those materialistic urges are long gone...
    Nomad and TLandHim like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Not materialistic at all but we enjoy travel.

You do tend to fill your life with possessions that you actually don't use or need and once you get over that, life actually becomes a lot freer and more enjoyable.

3 years ago we took the drastic step of emptying the contents of our 290 sq metre, 5 bedroom house into a very large storage unit and moved to a 30 square metre studio.
    Drastic and was meant to be temporary. In 3 years we have not taken one single item back out of the storage unit.

It proves to me that we had 5 bedrooms full of junk, my wife may need more convincing.
    My wife said I should point out that we are only in our small apartment for 4 - 8 weeks at a time.
    Also it is on top of our garage where I keep my Harley, Suzuki and Commodore.
    A man has to keep some things. 555
    meese likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    A man has to keep some things. 555
    How about keeping the prerogative to exaggerate, particularly on an internet forum. 555
    meese and Hatari like this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

I want Baccy's life. 55
    Quarky and meese like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    hmmm....at one stage recently...

between 2 houses

2 cars
    4 bikes
    3 cameras
    6 phones
    3 laptops

glad those materialistic urges are long gone...
    seems you cant give every thing up lew...even got 2 houses 55555....but to honest those items apart from 2 houses is pretty modest by western standards....just counted i have 4 tvs...one in the lounge... one in the spare room...one in a sunroom/jacuzzi....and a small one in the kitchen....only seem to watch 2 thou....to be fair only 2 are new thou...just did not get rid of the older ones as i upgraded 555555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Good cheese and good coffee and I am satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Good cheese and good coffee and I am satisfied.
    And wine...A nice steak now and then wouldn't hurt either. Maybe a good cigar and old scotch to chase it down with. All while relxing on your own yacht, floating next to a beautiful island.

I see nothing wrong with wanting material things as long as you're actually enjoying them.

A materialist to me is someone who hordes money or things for the sole purpose of the pleasure of buying or showing off. Flashy cars, expensive cloths, jewelry, etc. I know people who have millions, but you would never know it by looking at them walking down the street. Then you have your peasants with 5 credit cards and 2 mortgages who walk around like peac0cks and all they have to show for it at the end of the day is two bits of fuck all as we say in Oz.
    PeteGill and TLandHim like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    And wine...A nice steak now and then wouldn't hurt either. Maybe a good cigar and old scotch to chase it down with. All while relxing on your own yacht, floating next to a beautiful island.

I see nothing wrong with wanting material things as long as you're actually enjoying them.

A materialist to me is someone who hordes money or things for the sole purpose of the pleasure of buying or showing off. Flashy cars, expensive cloths, jewelry, etc. I know people who have millions, but you would never know it by looking at them walking down the street. Then you have your peasants with 5 credit cards and 2 mortgages who walk around like peac0cks and all they have to show for it at the end of the day is two bits of fuck all as we say in Oz.
    I have a friend who has a nice motorized yacht moored in Holland. He is an early retired Sea Captain who does a bit of contract work as a stand in captain in the North Sea. The rest of the time he and his wife divide between here (CT) and their yacht..
    In Holland they live on the boat and take their time exploring the many canals. In CT he has a small scooter and a 12 year old small hatchback to get around with. you would never realize just how well off they are by looking at their lifestyle here at home.

when i complain that things are to expensive..my mother always says the same thing "do you want to be the richest man in the cemetery"..i still have not thought up a decent answer..but she is right imo..if you can afford things why not enjoy the good things in life...and contery to the saying they are not always free 5555....

my take is buy the best you can afford...but not be a slave to continually having the latest items....but bacon hit the nail on the head you should not be buying goods to impress other..rather to impress your self 555555

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast