Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: A hero? what would you do??

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,870

    A hero? what would you do??

    Two days ago a guy in Brisbane, had a medical condition while driving, he ran over three lanes and into the Brisbane river.

    A tradie following behind stopped and dove into the river, dragged the guy out and then went to work and for days was unknown.

    So what have you done or would you do in a similar circumstance??
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  2. #2
    Seven_
    Guest
    The same thing as the tradie, I don't think he is a hero just a decent human being. Hero gets used to often in my opinion. (not disparaging his actions in anyway)
    justcruzing1, Chob and pinecone like this.

  3. #3
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,204
    Taken a selfie of me saving the dude and posted it on FB... It is the modern way 55555
    Quarky and pinecone like this.

  4. #4
    Seven_
    Guest
    Facebook is for the oldies, instagram or snapchat is the modern way.555

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    The same thing as the tradie, I don't think he is a hero just a decent human being. Hero gets used to often in my opinion. (not disparaging his actions in anyway)
    Yes 7 he is and tonight i just watched an interview with him, he is just a good bloke ..he was looking at his watch to get to work on time 555 when he got there he was still first and then the next guys turned up and said....hey your dripping wet, you can't work in that go and get changed 5555

    there are many instances of people having to make a decision of if to risk their life for someone.

    Today a bank robber jumped on a motor bike and was about to leave the car park, someone driving a car decided to stop him and ran the car into him. The guy was armed, it was a risky call...would you have done the same??

    I know it is easy to say from behind a screen, not there in reality, easy to have an opinion, I just wonder what , if anything, our BM's have done in similar circumstances
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,120
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Today a bank robber jumped on a motor bike and was about to leave the car park, someone driving a car decided to stop him and ran the car into him. The guy was armed, it was a risky call...would you have done the same??

    I know it is easy to say from behind a screen, not there in reality, easy to have an opinion, I just wonder what , if anything, our BM's have done in similar circumstances
    The bank robbery would have been traumatic for the staff and I feel for them, but anyone who robs a bank is the real hero to me. Banks are the very definition of evil. They can get fooked.

    Sorry, rant over, back to topic now.
    Quarky likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  7. #7
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,526
    I would do the same as the tradie .... but I would stay unknown ..... and the guy with the medical condition would be missing his wallet and watch ....

    Enjoy...
    Bacon and Tingtong like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

  8. #8
    Seven_
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    I would do the same as the tradie .... but I would stay unknown ..... and the guy with the medical condition would be missing his wallet and watch ....

    Enjoy...
    Now there is truly a smart man.
    Minder likes this.

  9. #9
    Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    9,062
    I have saved 3 separate kids from drowning here...and by that I mean gotten them to shore unconscious and performed some sort of resuscitation on them...

    The first one was a young muslim girl at Nai Harn...maybe 12ish who I watched swimming close to shore in front of a rip....she was dragged out to near me in a matter of seconds...fortunately I was on a decent sized surfboard and managed to get her to shore..grab her from behind and expunge the water from her lungs very quickly...just as I had done that her mother started running at me wailing and screaming then gave me a few hard thumps on the back for my troubles..it wasn't until a couple of muslim kids (I assumed family) nearby told her what I had done that she stopped...looked at me startled...then tried to bend over and kiss my feet

    The second one was at Kata Noi north end...Chob and Moo were with me that day and it was just on dusk...another young muslim girl in a rip...and another drag and swim to shore...she had passed out in the struggle to get there but was OK once I expunged the water from her lungs as well with one squeeze..the family were very grateful and thanked me profusely...then went back to their picnic further up the beach

    The third one was a baby boy, maybe 2 yo at most here in Lamai...he just bolted straight down the sand for the water and fortunately I saw him running on the way down and started to swim towards his entry point...of course he fell flat on his face as soon as he hit the water and it seemed like an eternity for me wading the last 10m towards him...I grabbed him, sat him on my knee and hugged him from behind...the water came out but he was still not breathing and he started to turn blue..I got him up on the beach and did mouth to mouth and a couple of seconds later he spewed up some more sea water then took a deep breath...his little sister (maybe 8 yo) had arrived as I was doing this and had the most terrible look of shock in her eyes...the mother was running down the beach yelling at this stage so I handed the boy back to the sister...when the Mum arrived she gave the poor little gal one almighty slap across the face...man, it was all I could do to stop myself from doing the same back to her

    The point of this post is that its very strange how people react when a loved one has been close to death and someone saves them...its not always what you might expect
    Minder and slampay like this.

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    I would do the same as the tradie .... but I would stay unknown ..... and the guy with the medical condition would be missing his wallet and watch ....

    Enjoy...
    You save my life and you're welcome to the wallet and watch. Seems fair enough.
    Minder likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    The bank robbery would have been traumatic for the staff and I feel for them, but anyone who robs a bank is the real hero to me. Banks are the very definition of evil. They can get fooked.

    Sorry, rant over, back to topic now.
    So what are you doing Thursday week?? I need a wheel man 555555
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,120
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I have saved 3 separate kids from drowning here...and by that I mean gotten them to shore unconscious and performed some sort of resuscitation on them...

    The first one was a young muslim girl at Nai Harn...maybe 12ish who I watched swimming close to shore in front of a rip....she was dragged out to near me in a matter of seconds...fortunately I was on a decent sized surfboard and managed to get her to shore..grab her from behind and expunge the water from her lungs very quickly...just as I had done that her mother started running at me wailing and screaming then gave me a few hard thumps on the back for my troubles..it wasn't until a couple of muslim kids (I assumed family) nearby told her what I had done that she stopped...looked at me startled...then tried to bend over and kiss my feet

    The second one was at Kata Noi north end...Chob and Moo were with me that day and it was just on dusk...another young muslim girl in a rip...and another drag and swim to shore...she had passed out in the struggle to get there but was OK once I expunged the water from her lungs as well with one squeeze..the family were very grateful and thanked me profusely...then went back to their picnic further up the beach

    The third one was a baby boy, maybe 2 yo at most here in Lamai...he just bolted straight down the sand for the water and fortunately I saw him running on the way down and started to swim towards his entry point...of course he fell flat on his face as soon as he hit the water and it seemed like an eternity for me wading the last 10m towards him...I grabbed him, sat him on my knee and hugged him from behind...the water came out but he was still not breathing and he started to turn blue..I got him up on the beach and did mouth to mouth and a couple of seconds later he spewed up some more sea water then took a deep breath...his little sister (maybe 8 yo) had arrived as I was doing this and had the most terrible look of shock in her eyes...the mother was running down the beach yelling at this stage so I handed the boy back to the sister...when the Mum arrived she gave the poor little gal one almighty slap across the face...man, it was all I could do to stop myself from doing the same back to her

    The point of this post is that its very strange how people react when a loved one has been close to death and someone saves them...its not always what you might expect
    And I bet they didn't have a wallet or a feckin watch between em! 555
    Minder likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  13. #13
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,758
    Bacwaan.. Did the lady who slapped the girl know that the baby had nearly drowned?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,870
    It wasn't just a walk in the water for the guy, he said tonight he is a lousy swimmer, almost can't and the car was 20 & m out in the river.

    He dragged the guy out and handed him over to a tinny that had come to help, then he had to swim back by himself.

    he was so loveable i'm sure all the girls are going to chase him 55555
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,120
    On the topic of risking your life: Schopenhauer was fascinated with this phenomenon and wrote extensively about it. If I can get philosophical for a second, I'm not drunk, only on my second beer. Stay tuned for more in an hour or so...

    He was baffled by the fact that what all living organisms ever do and are geared towards is survival and self preservation. Yet on many instances he observed or heard about people risking their lives to save someone else in a sudden moment of danger. Which seems very contradictory to the laws of nature and evolution.

    Being a mystic at heart, he finally came to the conclusion that what's happening is that in that instant of danger, the mind suddenly stops. And when all thoughts and concepts are suddenly frozen and no longer clouding the mind's vision, the true reality of the world is revealed to the individual. Without the dualistic mind labeling, dissecting and judging this from that, you no longer see yourself as a separate entity to the one in danger. The unity of all things is revealed to you in that moment, and so the survival of the other person becomes as important as your own survival.

    Maybe it's subconscious, or so surreal at the time that the mind doesn't see it that way in hindsight. But I tend to agree with ole Schopey.
    Quarky and justcruzing1 like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,870
    ^^ I like that Bacon.

    I think that we as heards people, will defend the weak to keep the numbers.

    It is of course all a calculated risk, not going to die trying to help someone, although some do die, i think it was due to a miss calculation by them. Not their desire to die.

    I look forward to your 7th stubbie reply 555555555
    Bacon likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  17. #17
    Seven_
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    He was baffled by the fact that what all living organisms ever do and are geared towards is survival and self preservation. Yet on many instances he observed or heard about people risking their lives to save someone else in a sudden moment of danger. Which seems very contradictory to the laws of nature and evolution..
    While its survival and self preservation its doesn't necessary rule out protection of the collective. Pack animals often protect the collective, it well documented. You could argue this behavior was the same in humans, ie I save you in the hope someone will save me if needed.
    Minder and Bacon like this.

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,870
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I have saved 3 separate kids from drowning here...and by that I mean gotten them to shore unconscious and performed some sort of resuscitation on them...

    The first one was a young muslim girl at Nai Harn...maybe 12ish who I watched swimming close to shore in front of a rip....she was dragged out to near me in a matter of seconds...fortunately I was on a decent sized surfboard and managed to get her to shore..grab her from behind and expunge the water from her lungs very quickly...just as I had done that her mother started running at me wailing and screaming then gave me a few hard thumps on the back for my troubles..it wasn't until a couple of muslim kids (I assumed family) nearby told her what I had done that she stopped...looked at me startled...then tried to bend over and kiss my feet

    The second one was at Kata Noi north end...Chob and Moo were with me that day and it was just on dusk...another young muslim girl in a rip...and another drag and swim to shore...she had passed out in the struggle to get there but was OK once I expunged the water from her lungs as well with one squeeze..the family were very grateful and thanked me profusely...then went back to their picnic further up the beach

    The third one was a baby boy, maybe 2 yo at most here in Lamai...he just bolted straight down the sand for the water and fortunately I saw him running on the way down and started to swim towards his entry point...of course he fell flat on his face as soon as he hit the water and it seemed like an eternity for me wading the last 10m towards him...I grabbed him, sat him on my knee and hugged him from behind...the water came out but he was still not breathing and he started to turn blue..I got him up on the beach and did mouth to mouth and a couple of seconds later he spewed up some more sea water then took a deep breath...his little sister (maybe 8 yo) had arrived as I was doing this and had the most terrible look of shock in her eyes...the mother was running down the beach yelling at this stage so I handed the boy back to the sister...when the Mum arrived she gave the poor little gal one almighty slap across the face...man, it was all I could do to stop myself from doing the same back to her

    The point of this post is that its very strange how people react when a loved one has been close to death and someone saves them...its not always what you might expect

    Baccy isn't it great to have grown up In Aust. on the coast and have all the water skills.??

    It is a privilege and an honor to have been taught it all and then years later be able to use it so easily,

    Well done Man.

    We have a huge reputation around the world for putting ourself in harms way to save people, maybe it's in our DNA??? but it certainly is in our character.
    I won't go into my times just want to see what other BM's have done or felt, thanks for your contribution.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    11,120
    Yeah the pack thing is big in humans as well. We're no different to lions or hyenas. The individual's survival depends on the pack, so the survival of the pack as a whole becomes more important, and the whole thing is enforced by the brain's chemical reward and punishment mechanism. Destructive behaviour towards the pack feels bad, while the opposite feels good. Helping a lady across the road vs robbing her bag for instance. We all love a good dose of endorphin release I guess. It's the closest thing to morphine.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  20. #20
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,758
    I'm dying to hear the stories from the guys with guns that have used them to save people's lives... and I'm not being facetious as I suspect there are many stories to be told..
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •