Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Supposed Nanny State

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Supposed Nanny State

You always hear some guys complaining that such and such place is a nanny state.
    I know our esteemed colleague Mr Bacon would vote for no rules or laws. 555

But as someone who pretty much is a law abiding citizen....I am the other way. I want more laws.
    I don't break them and I do think those laws keep quality of life intact for people who do the right things.

Vancouver is a very liberal city and I think that impacts all of us citizens that do things right.

My wife works until 11pm-12am......I now meet her halfway because she is afraid of all the homeless on the street that city allows.
    So here is a girl, an immigrant, that moves to the country and is contributing to society and is afraid to walk home from her job.

Tonight I went to my local pub a few blocks from my apartment.
    There is a grocery store in a pretty heavy pedestrian area.
    And there is 5 kids skateboarding down the sidewalk and jumping off the small wall in front of the store. Of course they miss half the time and the skateboard shoots into people walking by.
    I said something to them and they point out a cop car is parked right there, and basically tell me to fcuk off.

And that is the crux of the matter. These assholes aren't afraid. They know the cops won't do anything so they go ahead and infringe on people's space to walk safely.
    In Boston/NYV I wouldn't even have to alert the police because the skateboarders just wouldn't do it because they know if the police saw them they would stop.

I say give me more laws and rules........it helps the people who don't break them

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I don't like police states... and nor does it seem, some of our pollies.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Australia turns against creep of the nanny state | The Times
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    We don't need the pollies giving us more laws or rules, i mean were do you stop at that ? ... thats crazy ...

Often its not the lack of laws that is the problem, its the people that are meant to be enforcing them !!

Just one new law is needed, and needs to be enforced across the board toughly ... the Common Decency Law .. simple as that

So the dudes on the skateboards that are trying their tricks in a public area when its busy with other people trying to use the same footpath or pedestrian area , that's just not common decency so book em, .. that way they will learn the Common Decency Law...

But the same pedestrian area at 2.00 Am in morning might be dead quiet, then they can go and use it all they want, its not effecting anyone ...

So rather than make many new laws about this and that, just make one law, and then people will learn about respect, the decent way.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    The little brats knew dam well the cops wouldn't chase them, they will have tried before and the little buggers split up and can out run the cops on their skateboards,

even if they catch one what happens? the cops take him back tot he station and spend 2 hrs filling out paperwork, contacting/chasing parents etc etc

What will have to happen is for someone to be seriously injured and then sue the kids parents and the cops for negligence.
    It seems these days the only thing that causes respect is the threat of a big financial settlement.

This was one of the things I hate about being born when I was, as a kid you showed respect to ANYONE older than you, even a couple of years, or you got a smack in the ear.
    Then when I was the older one the little sh1ts had all been taught they could sue me if I touched them.

I don't think we need many new laws, we already have a sh1t load I just think they need to be enforced by both the cops and the judges.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    We don't need the pollies giving us more laws or rules, i mean were do you stop at that ? ... thats crazy ...

Often its not the lack of laws that is the problem, its the people that are meant to be enforcing them !!

Just one new law is needed, and needs to be enforced across the board toughly ... the Common Decency Law .. simple as that

So the dudes on the skateboards that are trying their tricks in a public area when its busy with other people trying to use the same footpath or pedestrian area , that's just not common decency so book em, .. that way they will learn the Common Decency Law...

But the same pedestrian area at 2.00 Am in morning might be dead quiet, then they can go and use it all they want, its not effecting anyone ...

So rather than make many new laws about this and that, just make one law, and then people will learn about respect, the decent way.
    As Sydney says... is it about the laws or about the enforcement of laws? Or consciousness of the "Common Decency Law" (Does that exist Syd... 555). But rather than laws does it come back to society as a whole and the way children are raised? There seems to be a lack of respect for authority in kids these days.

So is there a decline in parenting standards? Or is it relative to deprivation? ie... do kids from wealthy families hang out and do stuff that bothers people? Where I live I never see kids doing anti-social things... but travel a few miles to a rougher neighbourhood and the little gangs start appearing... so I think its more complex than laws and law enforcement. Its a problem with society itself... from parenting to schooling to behaviour standards in general... to wealth distribution and infrastructure...
    Last edited by Quarky; 12th September 2015 at 18:29.
    kaptainrob likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Tonight I went to my local pub a few blocks from my apartment.
    There is a grocery store in a pretty heavy pedestrian area.
    And there is 5 kids skateboarding down the sidewalk and jumping off the small wall in front of the store. Of course they miss half the time and the skateboard shoots into people walking by.
    I said something to them and they point out a cop car is parked right there, and basically tell me to fcuk off.

And that is the crux of the matter. These assholes aren't afraid. They know the cops won't do anything so they go ahead and infringe on people's space to walk safely.
    In Boston/NYV I wouldn't even have to alert the police because the skateboarders just wouldn't do it because they know if the police saw them they would stop.

I say give me more laws and rules........it helps the people who don't break them
    Its called grumpy old man syndrome or Irritable Male Syndrome, your just getting old 555 oh no young people having fun and not thinking about others or their actions 555
    Dupree likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    Its called grumpy old man syndrome or Irritable Male Syndrome, your just getting old 555 oh no young people having fun and not thinking about others or their actions 555
    But 7 he isn't old and hasn't had any of his own kids yet 555555

Pity anyone that buys his kid a skateboard.... or a drum set!!!!

Seven_
    Anyone over 30 is old to a teenager 555

Anyone over 30 is old to a teenager 555
    That means I can be twice as annoying to them 5555

What p1sses me is the arrogance, and it comes more from the girls/b1tches.

In Townsville i was walking to the shops, a young couple, guy and girl coming the other way, he was drinking a Maca's thick shake, he threw it down at my feet as we passed and they kept walking,

I called out to him to pick up his rubbish and find a bin, ...they turned and the girl, about 15 flew off the handle....."Who the fcuk are you old man?? telling us what to do??" she had ran at me and I said to the guy.."Call your b1tch down or I will slap her" at that she flew at me and tried to scratch my face, I back handed her and she went down, he ran at me as well and I took one off him, but got hold and smacked his kidneys a couple, the end was I picked up the shake and poored it over them and dared them to stand up.

Then I took him by the ear and gave him the cup and lead him back to the bin.

I might be old but that doesn't mean I have to take sh1t from the young arseholes.
    Changone and TLandHim like this.

A huge, hard skateboard flew out at quite a bit of speed and hit a lady while she was walking.(which, if you know skateboarding, will happen 50% of the time)
    That is not just kids having fun.......that is kids putting people in danger

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post

Basically I meant to enforce the laws......and I do think law enforcement is needed.

As I compared the cities:
    Things like this happen all the time in Vancouver...... It is a reason I am contemplating moving away.

We have a massive homeless problem in the city. You don't go a day without some homeless yelling and screaming in the streets. Why do they do it so much in Vancouver, more than anywhere else I have ever been? Because they are allowed to.
    So my wife has to fear for her safety(and she does a lot) so that the bums can live freely.

It's really common sense. There are 1000's if people walking in that area. But let's allow 5 kids to put them in danger.

^But Paulie that's still treating the symptoms... and not the cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    ^But Paulie that's still treating the symptoms... and not the cause?
    No. That is the point of the thread and maybe I wasn't clear enough.
    Some people complain there is too many laws, whereas I don't think they enforce them enough here.
    And Vancouver is a perfect example of what people will do when allowed to break the law or bend the law.

The cause is allowing people to break the law. By allowing people to break the law, they infringe on people who don't.
    I don't think it is any different nowadays than any other time.

On the flip side.
    Times Square in NYC was dangerous when I moved to NYC, and more dangerous well before I moved there.
    It is now like Disneyland.
    So it isn't that society and morals has decayed since then because people are behaving better now than in the 80's and 90's in NYC......it is just that the law is applied.

Left to their own devices a lot of people are selfish and generally assholes......hence the need for laws.

No. That is the point of the thread and maybe I wasn't clear enough.
    Some people complain there is too many laws, whereas I don't think they enforce them enough here.
    And Vancouver is a perfect example of what people will do when allowed to break the law or bend the law.

The cause is allowing people to break the law. By allowing people to break the law, they infringe on people who don't.
    I don't think it is any different nowadays than any other time.

On the flip side.
    Times Square in NYC was dangerous when I moved to NYC, and more dangerous well before I moved there.
    It is now like Disneyland.
    So it isn't that society and morals has decayed since then because people are behaving better now than in the 80's and 90's in NYC......it is just that the law is applied.

Left to their own devices a lot of people are selfish and generally assholes......hence the need for laws.
    I actually support strong laws too.... generally... but isn't it better to have a society that is self policing than one needing constant supervision?
    It's like TLandhim's arguments for guns... that it is the people/society at fault... not gun laws... or lack of them... and though I started off being very anti-guns... I do see his point. Laws should be there as a safety net rather than as a stick to beat you with?

I actually support strong laws too.... generally... but isn't it better to have a society that is self policing than one needing constant supervision?
    It's like TLandhim's arguments for guns... that it is the people/society at fault... not gun laws... or lack of them... and though I started off being very anti-guns... I do see his point. Laws should be there as a safety net rather than as a stick to beat you with?
    But as both of us have pointed out to Bacon in a debate about this and as I said above.
    I think people are generally selfish and can be assholes, not all but a lot.

We should really study Japan.......not saying they have all the answers but they sure do act polite in public and aware of others around them.
    Hell they don't lock their bikes when they go to work for 10 hours!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    A huge, hard skateboard flew out at quite a bit of speed and hit a lady while she was walking.(which, if you know skateboarding, will happen 50% of the time)
    That is not just kids having fun.......that is kids putting people in danger
    Your blood sugar is out of wack Pops...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

But as both of us have pointed out to Bacon in a debate about this and as I said above.
    I think people are generally selfish and can be assholes, not all but a lot.

We should really study Japan.......not saying they have all the answers but they sure do act polite in public and aware of others around them.
    Hell they don't lock their bikes when they go to work for 10 hours!
    I agree. As you say... most people behave politely... so those societies that have the most polite people should be studied...

Platinum
    DP it is interesting.
    2 years ago TL and I went to Pahrump, Nevada and our hotel suggested wandering down to the local county fair at the end of the road.
    The fair was quite big and lots of young people hanging around just like we used to, skylarking, trying to impress girls etc. We were amazed at how good natured it all was, no one obnoxious, no one pushing in front of us, just having fun.
    It is an open carry area and the cute little butt in tight jeans in front of me was wearing a Glock 9mm in an open carry holster. A mom about 40 years of age and her husband just enjoying the fair with a younger girl and the grandparents all carrying a pistol.

Maybe Pahrump is just a nice well behaved corner of the world but 4 hours away in LA I have had several tense and intimidating experiences with people where they clearly have no fear of being held accountable. I don't believe they would behave like that if a local was present with an open carry gun.
    Last edited by TLandHim; 13th September 2015 at 06:39.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    ^ carrying a gun to deter skateboarders .......
    KRIS-ONE likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    The dangerous of a skateboard must be less than the dangers from a trigger happy idiot with a gun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast