Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Holidays in your country?

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,272

    Holidays in your country?

    This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving....... And saying "this weekend" is very apt.

    Canadians really don't make much out of holidays at all.
    There is never a set day.......people will celebrate with dinner one of the 3 days and not a set day.

    And only a fee retail shops are closed. hn

    To me.....it never feels like a holiday here. Just always seems like a regular day.

    Whereas in the US.......it is always one set day and you know it's a holiday .The streets are very quiet, all the shops closed.
    And obviously I am biased but I prefer it that way because I do think holidays are a big deal.

    And actually I am surprised at how casual Thais treat holidays also.

    So what about your country?
    Are holidays treated as a big deal or just casual?

    Always good to get other's experiences

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,937
    seems every second day in LOS is a holiday (exaggeration) and the usual Govt departments are closed and shopping centres and restaurants are rammed with thais
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, Cebu, CNX
    Posts
    7,113
    I think holidays in Australia are just casual.

    Since I stopped working a few years ago its just another day.

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    wollongong
    Posts
    3,279
    Australia Day here is a huge party day, Anzac day Is big but Subdued . Melbourne Cup Horse race Used to be big but not so much now half of Aust used to take a sicky 555

  5. #5
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,755
    Public Holidays here are like a Sunday.... is that good or not?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Public Holidays here are like a Sunday.... is that good or not?
    Same in US,
    I guess there is no good or not............just what you prefer
    I prefer the holiday to be treated as a big deal

  7. #7
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,755
    Shops are still open here ona Sunday and public holiday... but reduced hours... 10am till 4pm. The only days shops don't open at all are Christmas Day... and Easter Sunday.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,244
    I do miss Christmas week in the 1970s when I lived in my hometown. Visiting family and friends. Seeing what their eating..55 Always being offered a shot of Schnapps or a freshly baked xmas cookie. And the memories of nailing your girlfriend under the lighted tree....
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  9. #9
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I do miss Christmas week in the 1970s when I lived in my hometown. Visiting family and friends. Seeing what their eating..55 Always being offered a shot of Schnapps or a freshly baked xmas cookie. And the memories of nailing your girlfriend under the lighted tree....
    I bet you had big fairies on your tree too...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I bet you had big fairies on your tree too...
    I bet you read the Koran for xmas...
    Zablive and Moo Uaon like this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I do miss Christmas week in the 1970s when I lived in my hometown. Visiting family and friends. Seeing what their eating..55 Always being offered a shot of Schnapps or a freshly baked xmas cookie. And the memories of nailing your girlfriend under the lighted tree....
    You are a bit older than me, but what would happen if you went home and spent Xmas there?
    I am basically doing the same things at 43yrs old on holidays I did when I was 18yrs old.

    On Thanksgiving Eve, I will go out with about 15 friends from high school and we go to local bars and run into all the people we grew up with.........best night of the year.

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Shops are still open here ona Sunday and public holiday... but reduced hours... 10am till 4pm. The only days shops don't open at all are Christmas Day... and Easter Sunday.
    Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years Day, Easter
    And the day after Thanksgiving is very holiday-ish also because many people have work off.

    Here in Vancouver you literally can't tell if it's a holiday or not

  13. #13
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,755
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    You are a bit older than me, but what would happen if you went home and spent Xmas there?
    I am basically doing the same things at 43yrs old on holidays I did when I was 18yrs old.

    On Thanksgiving Eve, I will go out with about 15 friends from high school and we go to local bars and run into all the people we grew up with.........best night of the year.
    I appreciate going home for Xmas much more now than I did as a kid... we don't have Thanksgiving or any equivalent...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  14. #14
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I bet you read the Koran for xmas...
    Korans aren't just for Xmas...

    They're for Guy Fawkes too...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  15. #15
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,244
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    You are a bit older than me, but what would happen if you went home and spent Xmas there?
    I am basically doing the same things at 43yrs old on holidays I did when I was 18yrs old.

    On Thanksgiving Eve, I will go out with about 15 friends from high school and we go to local bars and run into all the people we grew up with.........best night of the year.
    99% of the people are gone. Most have died or moved to the Suburbs. The only remaining base is my sisters house. Back in the day many friends would meet at this dive called the Green Horseshoe. There were tons of single girls wanting to get nailed on Christmas Eve. Sometimes we would all drop acid and stare at the lights..55

    I remember one xmas morning I woke up around noon with a giant hangover. My little 5 year old niece was playing were her new toys around the tree. The first thing the little brat says to me with a sarcastic grin is "You didn't get any presents". So I stepped on one of hers and crushed it. Merry Christmas sweetie...55
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  16. #16
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    99% of the people are gone. Most have died or moved to the Suburbs. The only remaining base is my sisters house. Back in the day many friends would meet at this dive called the Green Horseshoe. There were tons of single girls wanting to get nailed on Christmas Eve. Sometimes we would all drop acid and stare at the lights..55

    I remember one xmas morning I woke up around noon with a giant hangover. My little 5 year old niece was playing were her new toys around the tree. The first thing the little brat says to me with a sarcastic grin is "You didn't get any presents". So I stepped on one of hers and crushed it. Merry Christmas sweetie...55
    You sounded a delight... nailing girls while crushing hearts and presents... what an Ebenezer... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    You sounded a delight... nailing girls while crushing hearts and presents... what an Ebenezer... 55
    I was teaching her to respect her elders...
    Quarky likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I appreciate going home for Xmas much more now than I did as a kid... we don't have Thanksgiving or any equivalent...
    We are home for a week at both Thanksgiving and Xmas

    My wife is a really good waitress, like very good.
    Her boss complained a bit about her taking the time off but she told her she doesn't need the job and this is our lifestyle........she works anytime needed beyond our holidays but we go home for holidays.

    I am actually fortunate Canadians don't give a **** about holidays, I get all the time I want off 555

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,244
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    We are home for a week at both Thanksgiving and Xmas

    My wife is a really good waitress, like very good.
    Her boss complained a bit about her taking the time off but she told her she doesn't need the job and this is our lifestyle........she works anytime needed beyond our holidays but we go home for holidays.

    I am actually fortunate Canadians don't give a **** about holidays, I get all the time I want off 555
    Ha ha. I love telling the boss like it is. When my boss laid into me last year and I said if you can find someone better go for it. This is my two weeks notice. He hasn't said a word about it since..
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Ha ha. I love telling the boss like it is. When my boss laid into me last year and I said if you can find someone better go for it. This is my two weeks notice. He hasn't said a word about it since..
    Well she didn't say it in a confrontational way
    She told her boss when hired we both have families outside Canada and we spend a lot of holidays away.
    She is honestly an incredible waitress, hardworking and will work anytime she is needed
    So it's like........you can have 75% of that or 0% of it.

    Now, I wish I had the luxury to say that at my job 555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •