Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Thoughts on team sports, single efforts, mental capacity etc.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

Thoughts on team sports, single efforts, mental capacity etc.

This is a thread triggered by thought's from reading all the different team sport threads, NRL, AFL, NBL, NFL, F!, Moto GP. then Golf etc.

So what makes a person decide on what to play???

What decides they need to be a team player, or go it alone??

I know F1 or GP, V8's have teams behind them so it's not so much a single person sport, more 1/2 1/2 but what sets a person to go the way they do??

There have been lots of successful sports people that could have gone into many sports, what made them choose the one they did??
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Hard to speak to this from anything but personal experience.
    In school like many of my age I played Cricket, Soccer and Hockey, all team sports.
    Also took part in cross country runs, as well as boxing, being individual efforts.

Later in life I used to play local competition basketball.
    Sometimes I'd play a full court game, and if a team was on next and they were one short I'd grab one of their shirts, jump in and play a second full game.
    Those days are of course long gone...555 Did coach my eldest son for a few years so I picked up a lot of "People skills" and I feel like I now know the coaches mindset too.
    If you've ever showed up at the stadium and the (Usually Christian Church or similar ) managers are waiting for you at the entrance and want assurances "There won't be any more trouble" you will have some idea what I mean...555

I also did competition "Practical pistol" for a few years back in the late 80's and 90's.
    That is an individual sport if ever there was one. I trained with the best and they used to say the difference between good and great was simply a "Superior state of mind".
    The guns are all gone now but it was all good while it lasted.

If I had any advice for kids today it would be "If you have any kind of sporting skill at an early age, push it for all it's worth".
    The opportunities and the money available today far outweigh anything on offer back then.

Quarky and justcruzing1 like this.

^^^^ Yes C1, there are so many different sports, many don't provide for their competitors at all, no sponsorship etc. Sailing? shooting? table tennis? badminton etc and then hugely sponsored ones.

I was just wondering what makes someone choose to go into a lone sport as against a heavily supported sport.??

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i played soccer,league and cricket. i always seemed to be trying harder than others and would get pi55ed off when they weren't.
    bike racing (solo) was a different kettle of fish. when i did wel it was all about me and me only.
    all my neighbour friends and plenty of kids at school had mini bikes so the oldies had to get me one in the end
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I loved team sports as a kid....it was great to belong...and also representing (soccer, Rugby and Surfing) outside of our area had lots of travel and social experiences...we used to be put up at other players houses (billeted) for events which I always found fascinating

Later in life I took up golf..(late 20's or so)...at one point I got down to a single figure handicap (9) but not for long...I just didn't have the time or the inclination to practice the amount I needed to get better..had it been a team sport with schedules I probably would have been more dedicated but it was easy to blow off when other things came up....so I have sorta come and gone lots of times with the game

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    I see a gradual move away from team sports for youngsters today. Clubs are fielding less teams in most local sports. Growth seems to be in the new sports that are more individual based
    For an example, on a windy day you will see literally hundreds of kite surfers out on the sea close to where I lice. The so called X games sports seem to be becoming more and more popular..
    Mountain biking is another that has taken off big time.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ I think a mix of both team and individual sports is a must for kids these days..team sports help you to get to know others, rely on them and have them rely on you....individual sports help you to get to know yourself better and what you are capable of...
    justcruzing1 and jontymate like this.

Online gaming seems to be a popular individual sport... they are even trying to get it into the Olympics!
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Online gaming seems to be a popular individual sport... they are even trying to get it into the Olympics!
    It's a big team sport also, my middle son plays on a collegiate level and the prizes (scholarships ect..) are staggering.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/12/09...?referer=&_r=0
    From the article:
    The stakes keep climbing, too: Winning a big tournament can sometimes earn players several years’ worth of tuition money. And in a possible sign of the future, the athletic department of Robert Morris University Illinois in Chicago created an official video game team this fall, offering the same sort of scholarships given to athletes playing soccer, football and ice hockey.
    Last edited by slampay; 31st October 2015 at 06:13.
    Quarky likes this.

WOW !! Slam I had no idea of betting to win scholastic's was happening.

I don't know how I feel about that.

I agree things have changed sice we were kids and as Baccy said, a mix of team and individual sport is a good mix for the reasons said.

I think it is harder these days for kids to get motivated and the routine of sport helps.

It seems a sport relies a lot on publicity and having sucessfull home sportsmen, for example, if Wallabies win the WC the sport will get an increase in junior ranks, Here in the Nth when the Cowboys won the GF and all the hype of town parades, in most of the towns up here, it has every kid wanting to be JT.

Same with the individual sports as well, when we have golfers winning there is an upswing in kids trying it out.

unpublicized sports, like, say target shooting, must do it tough.

I am guessing it is the same in other countries.

I did both types and lots of them, Soccer, football codes, basketball as team ones then surfing, water skiing, snow skiing Tennis, etc

The sailing was a good mix of both team and single, I had a single handed skiff, called a Moth but then crewed on bigger boats and it was teamwork.

My question I was thinking was what factors determine who decides on which sport to do and how much dedication they put into it.

I know physical atributes would determine a lot of it, also I would think finances and availability of facilities would come into it as well...what else???

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Parental influence ,if Dad plays a lot of golf then he probably buys junior an mini set of clubs , same with football , rugby , etc ,if a parent enjoys a sport then they will introduce their kids to it
    justcruzing1 likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    WOW !! Slam I had no idea of betting to win scholastic's was happening.

I don't know how I feel about that.

I agree things have changed sice we were kids and as Baccy said, a mix of team and individual sport is a good mix for the reasons said.

I think it is harder these days for kids to get motivated and the routine of sport helps.

It seems a sport relies a lot on publicity and having sucessfull home sportsmen, for example, if Wallabies win the WC the sport will get an increase in junior ranks, Here in the Nth when the Cowboys won the GF and all the hype of town parades, in most of the towns up here, it has every kid wanting to be JT.

Same with the individual sports as well, when we have golfers winning there is an upswing in kids trying it out.

unpublicized sports, like, say target shooting, must do it tough.

I am guessing it is the same in other countries.

I did both types and lots of them, Soccer, football codes, basketball as team ones then surfing, water skiing, snow skiing Tennis, etc

The sailing was a good mix of both team and single, I had a single handed skiff, called a Moth but then crewed on bigger boats and it was teamwork.

My question I was thinking was what factors determine who decides on which sport to do and how much dedication they put into it.

I know physical atributes would determine a lot of it, also I would think finances and availability of facilities would come into it as well...what else???
    "Online gaming" means video games. Not gambling. Easy to confuse...

They have net-channels that broadcast these tournaments and it's hard to get my mind around people watching other people play a video game, but they do! My kid have won about 15k in scholarships and has a fecking garage full of gaming crap. He sells it online and makes some good $$

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post

They have net-channels that broadcast these tournaments and it's hard to get my mind around people watching other people play a video game, but they do! My kid have won about 15k in scholarships and has a fecking garage full of gaming crap. He sells it online and makes some good $$
    Watching it? I get bored senseless playing it... 555

I did enjoy Larry and the Lounge Lizards in the 1980s... but only because it was a quest for sex... 55

I had an Atari at home and used to enjoy "Track and Field" at the arcade , but I haven't played any computer games since them
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post

Thanks Slam, sorry I misunderstood, I thought it was poker etc and was thinking they are not going to run at a loss.

I guess it is a way of testing the intelligence of people, not just a school report card. So if kids are winning tuition and it's not costing them to play, why wouldn't they?? Great for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Parental influence ,if Dad plays a lot of golf then he probably buys junior an mini set of clubs , same with football , rugby , etc ,if a parent enjoys a sport then they will introduce their kids to it
    i agree with that. my dad was top level rugby player and mum a tennis nut.
    my older brother played league and regularly got injured so mum pushed me towards tennis which i didn't like. then some school friends started playing soccer...so did i.

my brother had me swinging golf clubs in the back yard at the age of about 10-12. so i played that too. he played cricket too.

so i would say it's a general influence of people and events around you and what you enjoy and might become skilful at as well.
    eg; a lot of folk from places like Bathurst and IoM have a love of bike racing. bikes were big in my area when i was a kid.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 31st October 2015 at 09:11.

My parents were useless at sport....

Dad was good at drinking.... I'm crap at that

My obsession with sport was not really parent-led... in fact dad used to think I was nuts... 555

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    My parents were useless at sport....

Dad was good at drinking.... I'm crap at that
    It's all about practice ....
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Yes I agree and a lot of the kids of great sportsmen are grabbed by their club on scholarships at young ages in anticipation that the genes well be good.

My Dad represented the state in both Hockey and Cricket.

As a little tot I had a cut down hand made hockey stick and same cricket bat. I have seen photo's of me using them, don't remember so I was very young.

I played Soccer, which is similar to hock and didn't like cricket, standing in the sun doing nothing for hours, rather be at the beach on a surfboard

I think these days one of the difficulties is the time and money and if the parents can handle it.

In my day Mum was home, and could drive me to practice after school or I'd take a bus and get a lift home from the coach.
    Registration was...$10 for a season and $2 a game.

These days they have to have so many insurances, and gear costs a lot as well. Some families, the mother's wage goes on the kids sports.

And like I said location and availability of things comes into it. Someone living outback in a town or on a farm can't easily try sailing for example.

caught up with some old school friends recently and one of them told me they estimated they had spent $250k on their sons dirt bike racing! he's stopped now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast