Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: ebay and online shopping

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

ebay and online shopping

I do a bit of shopping online mostly on ebay.

How have you found it and what good deals have you had, or bad experience??

I had my mobile phone battery die on me, it is 6 yrs old so not bad. I had looked around for one about a year ago and they were like $70-100 and I decided to just keep the phone on charge all the time.

Well I got one this week on ebay from a mob in Melb for ....$8 DELIVERED!!!
    It is a genuine Samsung and has 12 months warranty....bargain!!

I also go there for parts for my car etc as well.

So what great deals have you found, or bad results?? Just a general question and if you have a great site, then share it here.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i started using ebay about 10 years ago. i'm up to around 70 transactions now. one of my first sales was a 30 year old AC/DC box set in unplayed condition. got $300 for that.
    probably only had one dud deal. a GPS screen that didn't work,cheap though 55
    had a few things that never turned up and replaced by the seller or money refunded.

in LOS there's not a lot of parts for bikes that aren't made there plus the US has a lot of good performance and after market parts available. exhausts,clutch kits etc
    taiwan was a good source for carbies. and jets for them. some hong kong stuff that turned out good too.

i think the best thing i got was a Lumix camera from Oz for 5000baht/$170 delivered. they weren't even available in LOS and takes great shots.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 31st October 2015 at 08:56.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I bought a Paul Smith wallet around five/six years ago , as soon as it arrived it was quite obviously a fake , so I returned complained to the seller and eBay and got my money back

Most of my online shopping is done through Amazon - books , music , condoms , cameras - also buy some clothes / shoes online if I know the brand and how they fit

The best thing about online is most of the retailers take off the VAT ( the Channel Islands are not part of the UK ) , but our customs hardly ever stop packages to add on our own GST , so pretty good value

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I had friends on the GC that made a living out of trading on ebay.
    Resigned from their jobs working retail and just bought stuff and resold them. A lot form ebay and Trading post, then put it back on at a dearer price. Had me scratching my head back in those days.

I have known girls that bought clothes online and most were disappointed with what they got.

I always see adds from China sites and they are cheaper but I worry about how to go if it is a con or the product is no good, so just buy from Aust. sites.

Has anyone experience dealing with the China ones??
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Think I'm up to 350 (ish) EBay transactions now, been on there for years.
    Only had a couple of bad deals, mainly be wayne Kers who tell you they've got a widget in stock, only to then turn around and ask if I'd accept a different colour/style etc.

If I'm looking for just about anything online, I'll check EBay first for price etc., then look around online before finding the best deal.

bought a lot of stuff from china and hong kong. all but the GPS screen have been good,usually free shipping too. volt gauge $3,various phone and camera batteries for less than $10,VFR 800 mirrors for $30/pair.
    OKO flat slide carby from Taiwan $70 shipped.

this Danmoto SS and titanium slip on exhaust has done 30k km's/4 years and still going strong. $150 including shipping.

Attached Images Attached Images
    justcruzing1 likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Bought plenty of items on ebay (au) last was a new power supply for my 10 year old laptop.
    $29.99 delivered in 5 days. Motorbike battery $59 after discount! Free delivery.
    Local price for a similar battery was up to $310!!
    Got some iphone genuine headphones on order for $19.99 delivered. $49 at JBhifi.
    In the UK it's even better, sold furniture and even a car for cash.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    I buy lots from Amazon. i am a prime member so get free next day delivery and lots of friends family get me to buy stuff on their behalf.
    Amazon has also started same day delivery in my area. I do think that the fcukers can only do this sort of thing cos they pay hardly any tax but the tightwad inside always prevails 555
    Changone and sateve like this.

^Transfer pricing's a beatch...555

PGC
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PGC's Avatar
    Ali Express and Alibaba are both genuine sites that I have never had a problem with. Great prices too.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    If you sell more than 10K a year on Ebay Australia now, Ebay are required by law to supply the tax department with all your profile details ... so finally the ATO is going to catch up with all the ebay tax cheats ...

which i think is a good thing ..

I know ebay well as i have 2 stores on there .... my main store now has feedback of over 5000, we sell about 400 items a month on it.

In terms of profit its tiny .... 20% margin at best, 5-10% is more like it.....

Ebay charges me 10% on everything i sell, Paypal further transaction fees ..... its clear to see who is the real winner..

But why we can all get such good deals on things is because of one reason and one reason only ...... the Asian sellers, by that i don't mean Asian sellers in China, i mean Asian sellers in your own country.

They way they work is this ..... they are happy to make one dollar from a sale .... doesn't matter if the item they are selling is $ 5.00 or $ 50.00 ..... one dollar profit is enough .... see in their mind if the sell 1000 items a week ( and some do) , they make $1000.00 a week ( tax free up to a couple of years ago) ( or even tax free now as they have cheated their Ebay profile details) ... and with old Mum, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa sitting around doing not much, they will happly pack, label and send off from there garage at home... = no overheads ....

They also gamble on making money on the postage, which is where you can make most of your profit.

Of the 500 items i sell, more than 300 items are free postage, or at least the customer thinks its free postage ...55555 what a joke ..... free postage just means i have put $10.00 on the item to cover the postage .... but often people think they are cheating me by buying 3 X of the same item, thinking they are getting 3 lots of free postage ... but really they have now paid $30.00 in postage and i still post it for $ 10.00 ..... profit of $ 20.00, more than the profit of the item itself..

The more items you send every week, the cheaper Australia Post gives your eParcel rates to you .... this is the real profit in Ebay selling, and is what the Asian's are going for ... not the profit on the item at all ...

But through the crappy profit you do also create one good thing ...... a database of emails ... mines huge after just 2 years on Ebay .. tomorrow i can create a special on a few items and bomb 10,000 emails to generate some sales, but they can only buy the special on my website, not on ebay .... the trick is to try and convert them across to your site so you don't have to pay the 10% to Ebay ...... but thats hard as well, ebay just offers to much price comparison on teh one page !!

They you go, a insiders view into Ebay .... 555555
    Last edited by Sydney; 1st November 2015 at 19:10.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

^But what with Google, the greedy Banks and everyone else wanting their chunk of your efforts before you even get a share it's a hard game.

You have summed up very well how small business here in Australia is hamstrung against international competition.
    I tried to buy a part from an Australian supplier recently (Out of simple loyalty as I had bought the original from him).
    No surprises then when he says he was literally driven out of business by Chinese suppliers with minimal postage costs and no GST. Our government has the power to even the score but they just sit on their hands. Disgraceful.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Can't beat internet shopping. I've even bought food from the US. Mostly dry stuff. Arrived within 3 days.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    ^But what with Google, the greedy Banks and everyone else wanting their chunk of your efforts before you even get a share it's a hard game.

You have summed up very well how small business here in Australia is hamstrung against international competition.
    I tried to buy a part from an Australian supplier recently (Out of simple loyalty as I had bought the original from him).
    No surprises then when he says he was literally driven out of business by Chinese suppliers with minimal postage costs and no GST. Our government has the power to even the score but they just sit on their hands. Disgraceful.

^^^ Ohh yes i didn't go into the 2nd part of the eBay equation ...

the first part was Asian sellers that live in your own country ... make a dollar blah blah blah... you know the site, seller id = ausbarginmart ...55

The 2nd part is the fact the every country in the world has a reciprocal agreement to deliver each others parcels ....

This is where it is now completely out of whack .... can you imagine how many parcels Australia Post has to deliver from China for no money at all !! .. none, zip

But China's postage service is as cheap as, including there international postage rates, so to cover this, AP has to charge more for its domestic services .... China can sell something on Ebay including postage to your door here is Australia ..... for less than i can post it here, forget the item .... anything more than 20mm in thickness is $7.45 just for the postage

The third part of the scam here is Ebay ... do a search in ebay.com.au and the default return is everything in China plus Australian items .... you have to filter out China by selecting " Australia Only" on the left hand side of the page .... many newbie buyers wouldn't even realize they were buying form China, until their item takes 3 weeks to show up, if at all ...

But i have to say over the last 2 years many buyers are sussing this out, but clearly EBay itself is doing nothing to stop the false sellers pretending to have a location in Australia .... always look carefully at the "Item location" under the postage cost ...

What the government should do is enforce Ebay to make the default return on searches Australia Sellers only ... then if someone wants to go and check something in China they can add that to their search .....

reading this thread the other day reminded to check for a battery for an old phone that was $40 here.

found one on ebay for $18 including postage from china.
    Changone likes this.

The "Postage" seems to be a total scam.
    If I order a phone from (Say) Kogan, I know they ship from Hong Kong, so how can their "postage & handling" fee be $55?.
    Yes, it's total bollocks, other items are "Free shipping" what a crock...

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

The "Postage" seems to be a total scam.
    If I order a phone from (Say) Kogan, I know they ship from Hong Kong, so how can their "postage & handling" fee be $55?.
    Yes, it's total bollocks, other items are "Free shipping" what a crock...

The beauty of shopping on the net is, if you don't like what one person is offering, the next seller is two clicks away.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    What are you selling Sydney?

Mainly products we use in our own media production, which is my core business, the ebay thing is just a bit of fun really and earns us some play money .... so we sell all physical discs, CD and DVD's, huge range of Disc cases, and then other products like USB drives, SD cards, HDMI and Cat cables, USB hubs ... I am nowhere as cheap as my many Asian competitors ... customers send me hate/angry messages all the time if they item hasn't arrived, and i just have fun with it and call them straight away on teh phone ( how often has someone called you from eBay ? ..55) .. i can here their shock in their voice when they realize i am a white man ..5555 ... and they tone soon changes real quick

Aussies still love physical media, it really is surprising the consumption ... in a way torrents has probably helped keep the discs sales alive as people download movies but then like to store it on disc, ..... some people, in fact most people just don't get the network thing, or having a server in the house is just too complicated for them .... they just want to choose a movie from there DVD collection and put it in their player ..... simple as that

Foxtel and Netflix etc has certainly killed many DVD rental stores ..... but that's a different game to what i am into ..

My main revenue is made from duplicating discs .... promo DVD's, training DVD's, Short Movies, music CD's ...etc .....
    slampay likes this.

And I think $25K of whatever you sell on there every year is tax free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast