Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Rank you Asian foods

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Rank you Asian foods

I probably eat Asian 4-5 days out of the week and would do so even if not married to an Asian so thought I'd see how people rank their Asian foods:

Japanese......it wouldn't have been my 1st choice until living in Vancouver and being exposed to Izakayas and Ramen shops to add to Sushi and more well know Japanese food. The Izakayas, Ramen shops and Yakitori grill places add such variety. And they are also the most fun places to eat at. Very social and casual.

Thai....this wasn't up there until about the last few years and actually I'd still rate NYC Chinese food over Thai food. But for me I like Thai food over most Chinese because it is more flavorful. I do think one knock on Thai food overseas is it doesnt have much variety in types of Thai food like I mentioned above with Japanese food.

Vietnamese..... I think Vietnamese food is the healthiest and most clean tasting Asian food.

Chinese....I think Chinese can be so hit and miss and also very regional. Chinese food is so different from Boston to NYC to Vancouver and in between.
    But as I said I'd take NYC style Chinese food over most Asian foods.
    And I actually don't care for the authentic Hong Kong style big dining places we have in Vancouver.... The food is so bland.

Korean.....I've had some good Korean food but I think it is also the one Asian food that can be really bad also. A lot of places put way too much saucees on their food.

I've only had limited experience with other Asian countries in North America

But hands down Japanese is my favorite

But if I lived in NYC I could be one of those old guys that goes to the same Chinese food place and eats the same thing everyday.
    And in fact I do when I am in NYC 555
    Shrimp with lobster sauce
    Boneless spareribs well done

As I get older I find I don't have favourite foods any more... I just seem to fancy different foods at different times... maybe I am pregnant? Right now I fancy crispy duck...
    Bacon and do ron like this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Same here with eating Asian food at least 4 days a week ... but what we cook at home you could probably class as more fusion of Asian recipes ...

Thai would still be my favorite ( surprise surprise ), with Chinese my least favorite .. Australian Chinese is terrible, as its mostly just that Australian Chinese, a lot if it is fried, loaded with msg, and makes you thirsty for the rest of the night. My old Sensei ( Kung Fu Instructor) used to take me to some proper Chinese food restaurants in China town in Sydney ... he did all the ordering, mostly steamed and soups, really nice so different to the bog standard Australia Chinese

Japanese i like, we also eat takeaway Sushi once a week that we get from the Supermarket, they have Japanese dudes making it all up in the middle of the supermarket, and at the end of day what they haven't sold gets reduced, we always go after 7.30 and its reduced further up to 50% off and can get a heap of it for about $10.00, really good value !

Still enjoy some Indian now and then ... a good korma ..yum, also like all their side dishes, Mango chutney, banana with coconut, poppadoms crunched up over the curry ..5555

Korean nah ! , i a had a Korean girl work me for about a year, every lunch time i would try her food that she would buy from a Korean restaurant opposite my shop ... occasionally it would hit the mark .... kimchi is cabbage gone wrong IMHO ..555

Personally i think you need to extensively travel the Asian country to understand their food .... not sure about the US or UK, but Australian Asian food is just so altered to cater for the Australian palate, and then they just copy each other so it gets replicated .... sure there is some authentic ones out there, but rarely local
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I rarely get takeaway food these days , so the only "Asian" dishes are things I cook myself , mostly stir frys and I tend to use Thai flavourings

I don't remember being that impressed with Vietnamese food the one time I was there , the food in Myanmar wasn't that great either , Cambodian was okay and only had Japanese food once

But I do enjoy Indian , Thai and Chinese ( in that order probably .. )

What do you call it when you make up recipies yourself?

I do a lot of stir fries/stews... with loads of mixed veges and spices, ginger, turmeric, mixed herbs, oregano, etc... and it tastes delicious... no idea what country it might be close to though...

Fusion cooking
    Quarky likes this.

Strange thing is... no one else seems to like it... same with the delicious juices I make... even the smell makes other's vomit... 55
    Stillearly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Same here with eating Asian food at least 4 days a week ... but what we cook at home you could probably class as more fusion of Asian recipes ...

Thai would still be my favorite ( surprise surprise ), with Chinese my least favorite .. Australian Chinese is terrible, as its mostly just that Australian Chinese, a lot if it is fried, loaded with msg, and makes you thirsty for the rest of the night. My old Sensei ( Kung Fu Instructor) used to take me to some proper Chinese food restaurants in China town in Sydney ... he did all the ordering, mostly steamed and soups, really nice so different to the bog standard Australia Chinese

Japanese i like, we also eat takeaway Sushi once a week that we get from the Supermarket, they have Japanese dudes making it all up in the middle of the supermarket, and at the end of day what they haven't sold gets reduced, we always go after 7.30 and its reduced further up to 50% off and can get a heap of it for about $10.00, really good value !

Still enjoy some Indian now and then ... a good korma ..yum, also like all their side dishes, Mango chutney, banana with coconut, poppadoms crunched up over the curry ..5555

Korean nah ! , i a had a Korean girl work me for about a year, every lunch time i would try her food that she would buy from a Korean restaurant opposite my shop ... occasionally it would hit the mark .... kimchi is cabbage gone wrong IMHO ..555

Personally i think you need to extensively travel the Asian country to understand their food .... not sure about the US or UK, but Australian Asian food is just so altered to cater for the Australian palate, and then they just copy each other so it gets replicated .... sure there is some authentic ones out there, but rarely local
    I am surprised with so many Asians in Sydney there isn't that many authentic Asia restaurants
    I'd say there is more authentic Asian restaurants here than ones catered to locals.

Actually I was a bit disappointed in Tokyo because I literally have all their food outside my door
    I could stand in my apartment and take a picture of 3 places at my doorstep, an Izakaya, Ramen and Pho that are as authentic as in their countries

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I am surprised with so many Asians in Sydney there isn't that many authentic Asia restaurants
    True ... but they probably know where to go ... if i lived in the main city suburb of Sydney, ( its called Sydney ..55), you would suss them out, or perhaps in the Asian concentrated Suburbs, you would get some authenticity

But for the bulk of suburbs with your local Asian, its high salt, heaps of sugar and deep fried aussie style ..5555 .... i am probably being a bit over the top here, but its certainly not what you are talking about in Van, far from it
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

True ... but they probably know where to go ... if i lived in the main city suburb of Sydney, ( its called Sydney ..55), you would suss them out, or perhaps in the Asian concentrated Suburbs, you would get some authenticity

But for the bulk of suburbs with your local Asian, its high salt, heaps of sugar and deep fried aussie style ..5555 .... i am probably being a bit over the top here, but its certainly not what you are talking about in Van, far from it
    No.....very much like that in all superbs.
    I love Boston Chinese food but its pure crap......really just drunk food.
    NYC is a like between real Chinese food and Boston Chinese food.

Actually in NYC there has been a huge influx of authentic Isaan restaurants
    Not Thai food with some Isaan
    Like complete Issan restaurants and they are busy as hell.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    For everyday type eating, then Japanese, Vietnamese then Thai. For high end eating, then Chinese comes into its own.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i like cantonese-chinese food.
    also like the vietnamese banh mi. it's a good change for when your surrounded by thai food. one place in CM makes a really nice one.
    beef soup dish pretty good too.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I used to get hankerings for one dish from one restaurant when I lived back in the west...like won ton noodle soup with char sui from The Emporer (Chinese), red curry with duck from Darley St Thai (David Thompson's Thai restaurant). hand made soba or ramen noodles with soya chicken at Ramen Ikkuyu. Tetsuya's confit of ocean trout, fish pie from The Boathouse etc etc...it wasn't just the one cuisine, it was the one dish 555

I'm a bit similar here....I usually have 4-5 favourite dishes at each restaurant I like and tend to rotate those with mood...last night I had a half rack of ribs for 75 baht with coleslaw 20 baht, for lunch it was a green curry from the talat for 40 baht with rice 10 baht and breakfast was 2 fried eggs on white rice with a splash of dark soy sauce which I cooked myself, that probably cost me about 12-15 baht to make ( I won't eat western breakfast food out usually....I can cook it better myself than most joints do here in my humble opinion 555)

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    For everyday type eating, then Japanese, Vietnamese then Thai. For high end eating, then Chinese comes into its own.
    Yeah.....we have some really high end Chinese restaurants here.....they are absolutely jammed on Sundays
    The service is impeccable

The size of the families that go out on Sundays, their bill must be 400-500cad.....not that they can't afford it
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 6th December 2015 at 12:44.

For some reason and don't know if you guys had similar
    But for some reason when I was growing up in the 70's into the 80's we had these Chinese restaurants that had a Polynesian decor.....like Tiki Bars.
    They were definitely just Chinese food but with Polynesian themes.

Actually they were great
    Pu pu platters were appetizer samplers with a little fire in the middle of the tray.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    My fav is Thai, but im finding it is going the same way as Chinese food. Bland, dumbed down no spice.
    Second would be Vietnamese, mostly because as Mark said , it seems to be the healthiest choice .

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ ah yes....Vietnamese...you just reminded me of Than Binh in Newtown...one of my fave places in all Sydney...Angie Hong is the owner and her food is superb...you can get a menu there called Beef 7 ways...7 different courses all beef...I was always up for that about once a month

Angie's son Dan (Hong) is now executive chef for Merrivale Restaurants at Mr G and el loco...I remember him as a toddler wandering through Angie's restaurant stopping to chat at tables and then later on taking orders and in the kitchen cooking..I love these sorts of family cooking success stories

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    As I get older I find I don't have favourite foods any more... I just seem to fancy different foods at different times... maybe I am pregnant? Right now I fancy crispy duck...
    ya im like that theres just too many nice dishes out there to have a favourite- from an indian ,or a paella to a good old shepherds pie
    every night i just fancy something different but i would say asian is my favourite food genre
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    What do you call it when you make up recipies yourself?
    Creativity?

with Chinese my least favorite .. Australian Chinese is terrible, as its mostly just that Australian Chinese, a lot if it is fried, loaded with msg, and makes you thirsty for the rest of the night.
    Those are my favourites. I know it's not good for you, but I love them. The combination fried rice and different meats are the best. It's proper manfood. Just a whole pile of carbs and meat.

I'm slowly starting to develop a pallet for subtlety though. I like Japanese and Vietnamese foods for that reason. They're the Asian equivalents of French or Italian food, where the flavours don't just grab your tongue and go "Hello!!! I'm here!!!". This is why I don't enjoy things like Indian food as much anymore. They're just such an assault on the senses.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    This is why I don't enjoy things like Indian food as much anymore. They're just such an assault on the senses.
    Only if you go Vindaloo or Phal , if you go Dansak , Dupiaza , Balti etc , great flavours without blowing your head off
    wabbits likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast