Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jontymate

Thread: Very important general question for moving/working in Thailand.

Very important general question for moving/working in Thailand.

I am about to buy a new desktop computer and my question is I want to know if anyone has had any experience bringing one over there and if they could just plug it in like you can with your laptop. Did you have to replace the power supply? Did you have to get a converter? I have brought things before and they have fried up on me I DO NOT want this to happen to a 1500$ computer. What are the steps I should take? Should I just get there and then bring it to pantip plaza and have someone sort me out or?

Thanks. as much info is appreciated as possible.
    A good night, the best in a long time
    A new friend turned me on to an old favorite

Im reading this on thaivisa

"Don't know what the Oz voltage and Hz are, but make sure the tiny switch on the power supply is set for 220V when you plug it in here.

Ask me how I now know to do that, coming from a 110 V country."

Do most powersupplys come with that switch on it?

If you bring in a desktop computer (ship/fedex it) they'll likely hold it at customs and charge you import tax - bear that in mind (I spent 2-3 hours running around Phuket before finally being told the correct place to go).

All the PSUs I've bought in Europe/Asia have had the switch, can't say for sure if it'd be the same from the US, but it would make sense to have it. If not, it's not that much to buy a cheap PSU here. Looking back I'd rather have just bought one here to save myself the hassle (my PSU got damaged in transit anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    If you bring in a desktop computer (ship/fedex it) they'll likely hold it at customs and charge you import tax - bear that in mind (I spent 2-3 hours running around Phuket before finally being told the correct place to go).

All the PSUs I've bought in Europe/Asia have had the switch, can't say for sure if it'd be the same from the US, but it would make sense to have it. If not, it's not that much to buy a cheap PSU here. Looking back I'd rather have just bought one here to save myself the hassle (my PSU got damaged in transit anyway).
    I would be building a comp with a mini case so I would just carry it I was looking at an old comp here and there is a lil red switch that flips it and it says "230" on it..isnt thailand 220v 50hz or something? so wouldnt 230 not match?

Platinum
    Hey Sup! How's it going?

Would it not be cheaper/easier to do it in LOS?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    aussie setup is 240V and i've had no problem using them in LOS and one from LOS in Oz.

melly chlismas sup
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I just looked and my PSU is 240 v converting to 19v and doesn't have a switch for any change

It worked fine in LOS for me, I did have to buy a plug converter as they have no earth just 2 pins supply. It was cheap, about $2

Good luck with it and Merry Christmas
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Your very important general question for moving/working in Thailand is only about a computer.....jeez...good luck with that

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Your very important general question for moving/working in Thailand is only about a computer.....jeez...good luck with that
    Well have fun workin the streets lol

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    [QUOTE=supmate;265074]I would be building a comp with a mini case so I would just carry it I was looking at an old comp here and there is a lil red switch that flips it and it says "230" on it..isnt thailand 220v 50hz or something? so wouldnt 230 not match?

Sup your computer has its own transformer..and will convert the electricity to what it needs. The transformers have a tolerance as all supply fluctuates in the voltage stakes. That is the force it pushes through elections.. Hertz Hz is cycles per second, that is the frequency the electrons change direction in the supply.

The minimum standard in Aussie is +10% to –6% so design of these components will exceed this to be viable with many supplies over the world. It only comes into play with large electric motors that are wound for specific countries on a single phase.

If your current build does not have the switch to 220 /230 there may be an issue but the power pack (Transformer ) is inexpensive and easy to replace.

Take care of yourself and I would build in LOS also. It will not be that much cheaper but you will get contacts to go forward with if this is going to be your livelihood.
    supmate and Cuzzy like this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

230v will be nominal and most cheaper PSU's will operate okay between 200 to 240v ; more expensive units can cover 100 to 260v and dual frequency 50Hz or 60Hz. My home assembled PC has a 100 to 240v stamp automatic no switch, it cost 56 in 2012 which is mid price range. Note I am referring to PSU's which have control circuits and not just a plain transformer