Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dupree

Thread: Good article on reverse immigration.

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,272

    Good article on reverse immigration.

    I thought this article is a good read with a lot of us living away from out birth places....and a lot of you living in much different cultures.


    Going back home: life as a reverse immigrant by Andrea Yu | Wilson Quarterly

  2. #2
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    15,204
    I have a few English friends who have lived here (SA) for 30 plus years... They talk about visits to 'home' and how much things have changed. But more to the point, how they have changed and how little they find that they have in common with old friends and family.

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,272
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    I have a few English friends who have lived here (SA) for 30 plus years... They talk about visits to 'home' and how much things have changed. But more to the point, how they have changed and how little they find that they have in common with old friends and family.
    That is a very apt point for me.
    I was just home for 8 days and it really was the 1st time in really felt I was much different from my friends. I've always been different from them, not living permanently there since I was 19yrs old.....but this last visit my views just seemed so much different.
    And it will be the last time I stay at my sister's instead of a hotel. We just have a vastly different thought on what a clean house should be.....and that for me entails having one clean towel for your guest!

    But even while I was recognizing how much my views have changed from a lot of my friends.....I decided to focus on the positives of our friendship and honestly, things I've been through with them and the memories we have are worth 100x more than our views on how life should be lived.

    As for family.....I don't consider commonality to count for much. My family are jokesters, we like to joke a Ton and tease each other. We aren't trying to solve the world's problems. So, although I recognize our differences, they don't really affect our relationship much.

    I'm always a bit suspect when people feel the need to talk about how much they changed from friends and family at home, it just always comes off as condescending and a bit superior. And although I think you do become a better, more well rounded person living away and experiences new things......I just think there is so much history between real close friends and family at home that there is enough there to focus on the positives.
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 4th January 2016 at 17:04.

  4. #4
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,755
    It helps if you go home a lot on holiday... that way you see the changes taking place. I like a lot of the changes i have sseen in NZ since I left 25 years ago... it feels a more sophisticated place now... though I think my parents will find a different England to the one they left in 1966... I've warned them they'll need to learn Polish, the second most spoken language in the UK now... 55

    Polish is second most spoken language in England, as census reveals 140,000 residents cannot speak English at all | Home News | News | The Independent
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  5. #5
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    3,962
    Big move back to China for many with big $$ to be made. Many go back also looking for a more traditional wife (that was interesting to see as well). I don't know why I just found it very confronting when a Chinese looking guy comes out with a US accent.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

  6. #6
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,244
    It's like a Twilight Zone episode when i go back to Syracuse. People say the same things they said 40 years ago. Most of the time i just stare and listen in amazement....5555

    They always end a statement with "Whaddya gonna do?" 55
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  7. #7
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    52,755
    ^That's when you get out your banjo... and start strumming...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,937
    was telling this young lassie about my first job the other day.
    use to get the train into the city every morning. same time,same carriage,same people in the same seats. mine was next to a youngish blonde who was getting engaged and working at a major car parts supplier. someone would be missing and everyone would be trying to work out where they were or why they weren't on the train.

    wondering how long that went on or if any of those people were still doing that.

    totally bizarre!!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    21,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    was telling this young lassie about my first job the other day.
    use to get the train into the city every morning. same time,same carriage,same people in the same seats. mine was next to a youngish blonde who was getting engaged and working at a major car parts supplier. someone would be missing and everyone would be trying to work out where they were or why they weren't on the train.

    wondering how long that went on or if any of those people were still doing that.

    totally bizarre!!
    I flew in NYC on a red eye 2 weeks ago so decided to take the train into Manhattan instead of sit in traffic in a taxi.
    Being packed up against everyone in the subway reminded why I love where I work
    I walk to work in 8mins or so.

    You don't realize how much a commute takes off your life with stress and all

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,937
    way home one time packed in a carriage like sardines,standing up and the lights went out in a tunnel and the train was moving,very slowly rocking backwards and forwards,side to side. i was standing against the rear of a young top sort with a body hugging skirt on.
    being a teen i got a boner and rubbing against her ass merrily
    out of the tunnel and she just looked around and smiled......tissue anyone? 55
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,244
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I flew in NYC on a red eye 2 weeks ago so decided to take the train into Manhattan instead of sit in traffic in a taxi.
    Being packed up against everyone in the subway reminded why I love where I work
    I walk to work in 8mins or so.

    You don't realize how much a commute takes off your life with stress and all
    Bay Area traffic is horrible during commute time. Friday evening commute double it. If you don't live in the city its at least an hour one way. That's for a 10 mile drive. Then I found a job 2 miles from my house. 10 minutes. Save at least 2 hours a day.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    10,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    way home one time packed in a carriage like sardines,standing up and the lights went out in a tunnel and the train was moving,very slowly rocking backwards and forwards,side to side. i was standing against the rear of a young top sort with a body hugging skirt on.
    being a teen i got a boner and rubbing against her ass merrily
    out of the tunnel and she just looked around and smiled......tissue anyone? 55
    You own a lot of trench coats?
    PeteGill likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •