Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: American Pickers/Any collectors?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

American Pickers/Any collectors?

I could watch a 1000 episodes of this show. I just don't ever get bored of seeing all these people's collections.
    It's amazing some of these pretty common people sitting on collections that worth 100's of thousands laying all over their garage.

I know Bacon and Forbes started the thread on knofes.
    Does anyone have any other cool collections?

I'd also imagine Thailand could be a honey pot that people haven't picked.
    I saw this Coke store in the 100 year village....it was crazy

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    I enjoy the show too. I just put aside the fact that in most these reality shows a lot of finds are 'planted' There is still enough on display to show that there are people with vast collections of 'junk' some of which is rather valuable junk to the right buyers...
    I do wonder though if shows like that have not driven up the price of collectable stuff?

As for LOS, just walking around CM I have come across a few small stores with collections of old memorabilia and there are lots of old cars and bikes to be spotted if you look around. Quite close to the GH where I stay there is a house with a few old vehicles stashed in the back yard.

American pickers go to Thailand.... Well they have done Italy and England, so why no?
    Hatari likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Yeah those shows have some amazing stuff that people have collected, and some worth good money. But for me Im downsizing, getting rid of old **** and not keeping anything I dont need anymore.
    Mate of mine collects Matchbox cars and has a huge collection. They were worth a lot of money....then, maybe 10 or so years ago he told me the value had dropped significantly because the Chinese had started to mass produce a lot of the Cars he has.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    They are very polite when they refer to a lot of these as collections ... as Pete said junk yards would be a more accurate description 555 , but I enjoy watching the shows , both the guys are very likeable

My collections are a lot more manageable and less rusty , local first day covers and antique maps of Jersey
    PGC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    They are very polite when they refer to a lot of these as collections ... as Pete said junk yards would be a more accurate description 555 , but I enjoy watching the shows , both the guys are very likeable

My collections are a lot more manageable and less rusty , local first day covers and antique maps of Jersey
    What are first day covers?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    What are first day covers?
    Stamps , with a cancellation mark dated in the first day of issue
    Cuzzy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post

I actually love rust 555
    I prefer stuff that looks well used to pristine. For a long time there was a tendency to over restore old stuff, especially cars and motorbikes. But now patina is the rage.
    Get it running and safe and then leave it looking old, rather than something that has to live under a dust cover in a climate controlled garage.
    Cuzzy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    I like the pickers shows, but the ones I like the most are the ones that buy container loads of stuff without being able to inspect it properly. They might see one good looking item and buy on the hope that there are other good bits that cannot be seen.

Last night was the 1st time I saw the one from the UK. the show looked like being a bit more interesting, due to the amout of dodgy looking charecters doing the buying. It was like a collection of apprentice Arthur Daly's. If he was still alive he would have made the perfect compare for the show 55555.

Penrite Oil here is Aus bought out some older engine oil in some fantastic metal retro cans, we bought about 1 dozen to sell in the shop. The oil was selling for $49.99 and went very slowly, So my boss decided to special it off for $39.99 a couple of weeks ago and now only 1 can left/ Most have bought it only for the can, the oil is to thick to use in new model cars.
    There is a big market out there for Retro automotive products, whether it be authentic or copies

Last edited by chelski; 21st January 2016 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    I actually love rust 555
    I prefer stuff that looks well used to pristine. For a long time there was a tendency to over restore old stuff, especially cars and motorbikes. But now patina is the rage.
    Get it running and safe and then leave it looking old, rather than something that has to live under a dust cover in a climate controlled garage.
    Jerry Seinfeld is selling some of his vintage Porsche collection.
    1 of them is worth 5-6million dollars.

I saw a great Vespa shop in Vietnam before

And I've always wanted one of those working Coca-Cola machines
    PeteGill likes this.

^^^ Loads of vintage Vespa's around CM too. There is one shop just off the moat where you can find at least a dozen or so at any one given time.
    I went to look at a very extensive car and bike collection of a local guy, I had met him at a car show and was able to give him some history about a motorbike he was keen on acquiring. (I had known the guy who built it up for racing in the 70's)
    Anyway amongst his vast collection of restored cars and bikes he had a 38 Harley totally unrestored, I secretly hoped that he would just leave it that way...

If I had the spare cash I would love a small collection of Japanese's small displacement motorcycles. 50 to 200 cc's. Early Hondas and Yamaha's from the 60's and 70's. But they are getting hard to find and expensive as well.

BTW We have a 60's Pin Ball machine at home... OK it really belongs to my brother, but it is in my house 555

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    ^^^ Loads of vintage Vespa's around CM too. There is one shop just off the moat where you can find at least a dozen or so at any one given time.
    I went to look at a very extensive car and bike collection of a local guy, I had met him at a car show and was able to give him some history about a motorbike he was keen on acquiring. (I had known the guy who built it up for racing in the 70's)
    Anyway amongst his vast collection of restored cars and bikes he had a 38 Harley totally unrestored, I secretly hoped that he would just leave it that way...

If I had the spare cash I would love a small collection of Japanese's small displacement motorcycles. 50 to 200 cc's. Early Hondas and Yamaha's from the 60's and 70's. But they are getting hard to find and expensive as well.

BTW We have a 60's Pin Ball machine at home... OK it really belongs to my brother, but it is in my house 555
    For me...my dream collection would be vintage watches

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Great show was on last night.

I collect memories

I collect autographed photos, the best one in my collection is Jim Morrison. Jim didn't sign too much.

Also have a bit of Bob Dylan stuff.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Two guys driving around America in a van. Not Gay. Not Gay at all................
    Moo Uaon likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Guitars

Changone likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    ^Solve for X?
    X=1....here...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i had a signed collection of framed pics of car and bike racers at one stage. doohan and shcu 2 of the better known ones.

i one time did a limited edition of 20 mick doohan framed and signed pics and sold them in my shop. he asked $100 for each signature. got $750 each for the finished product

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 21st January 2016 at 18:26.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    Guitars

obes likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Apart from Australian Aboriginal and Modern Australian Abstract Art I used to collect glass...abstract and tribal shapes in bright colours were my favourites (particularly orange)....and I used to travel vast distances to find pieces that I liked.....my collection runs to 60+ pieces and covers 20+ countries...next time I am home I am going to bring a few pieces over to brighten up my little house here

This one is a "waka"....an NZ Maori canoe

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bacwaan; 22nd January 2016 at 08:19.
    Quarky, Stillearly and Hatari like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    think the big thing about all these shows..is to remember that it is a show...but love watching ..not to sure if i would want some of the "junk"thats on offer 5555555....but some really nice things from time to time

i still have quiet a nice stamp collection..specialized in Northern and southern Rhodesia and (zambia/zim)..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast