Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sick at work

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Sick at work

I wanted to get people's opinions on this:

I started coming down with what seemed the flu Friday night.
    Nausea, coughing, runny nose, headache.

I went to work Monday because my #1 guy is on holiday.
    I have a pretty bad cough and we do work pretty close to each other on open desks

Went to work today and still coughing but you can tell not as bad.

But obviously people emailed my boss complaining and he told me to go home......leaving just my junior guy to handle all the business.

Now, I understand people don't want to get sick but they obviously see I am in work because my #1 guy is on holiday.... Not just being selfish.

I don't know.....it rubbed me the wrong way....even though I understand people not wanting to get sick.

And honestly..... I just can't see that happening in the US.....people would realize I am there because I need to be.

I don't know.....people might disagree
    Just wondering

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Everyone likes to feel needed, but if even your boss says "Go home" why wouldn't you?

Cuzzy and poseidon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Everyone likes to feel needed, but if even your boss says "Go home" why wouldn't you?

It's not a case of wanted to be needed.
    My business runs on me being there...... That's how I get business......it is a minute by minute thing
    They don't see me or my #1 guy there.....they likely could give the business to someone else
    And also potentially opens us up to huge liability/losses if my junior guy makes an error

He did a great job, by the way and I was able to direct things from home on IM

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Calling in sick the Monday after the Super Bowl is a no-no....Super Bowl flu.
    PeteGill, Moo Uaon and Dupree like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Was probably the Junior Guy complaining....555

In my old office we had a "sicko's corner"...just a desk alone in the library where you could sit quietly and get things done if you really needed to...get yer phone diverted, use yer laptop plugged into the business etc etc....it was used sparingly as i also would encourage people to just go home and get some rest..even if they were on deadlines (we woud pick it up for them)

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Was probably the Junior Guy complaining....555

In my old office we had a "sicko's corner"...just a desk alone in the library where you could sit quietly and get things done if you really needed to...get yer phone diverted, use yer laptop plugged into the business etc etc....it was used sparingly as i also would encourage people to just go home and get some rest..even if they were on deadlines (we woud pick it up for them)
    Yeah that's the thing.
    Our work is just so much different than most.
    We sit all together......maybe 5 meters apart.
    And it's more of having to be threre for customers than getting work done

So no sick corner(good idea) because I can't take my 6 screens with me.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Calling in sick the Monday after the Super Bowl is a no-no....Super Bowl flu.
    Canada may be pussies about sick co-workers

But they understand that the day after the SB should be a holiday! They have Family Day 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    I think that you get the two extreme's, those who cough twice and then take three days off and those who will get of their death beds to go in to the office., and then tell everybody that they have never had a sick day in their lives.... I have at least one foot in the second group BTW.

But the bottom line is that if you are feeling really ill, it is best to lie down in a darkened bedroom and let the body recover. Going to work will only prolong your illness and there will be less chance of spreading whatever you have got. Plus we tend to not function well when sick, and that may be detrimental to the work.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    I think that you get the two extreme's, those who cough twice and then take three days off and those who will get of their death beds to go in to the office., and then tell everybody that they have never had a sick day in their lives.... I have at least one foot in the second group BTW.

But the bottom line is that if you are feeling really ill, it is best to lie down in a darkened bedroom and let the body recover. Going to work will only prolong your illness and there will be less chance of spreading whatever you have got. Plus we tend to not function well when sick, and that may be detrimental to the work.
    Yeah I don't like to take sick days but I understand the need to take them if you are legitimately sick.....for you and your co&workers benefit
    This was just a unique situation with my #1 guy on holiday and I figured people would understand that.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Yeah I don't like to take sick days but I understand the need to take them if you are legitimately sick.....for you and your co&workers benefit
    This was just a unique situation with my #1 guy on holiday and I figured people would understand that.
    What would bug me is why someone needed to e-mail the boss, why not just approach you directly? The whole situation could have been sorted out with your explanation.

My business runs on me being there...... That's how I get business......it is a minute by minute thing
    They don't see me or my #1 guy there.....they likely could give the business to someone else
    And also potentially opens us up to huge liability/losses if my junior guy makes an error

So you don't show up for one day and it all goes to hell in a handbasket...?
    If your Boss hasn't got that angle covered I would be very surprised.

Of course in reality you could do everything necessary remotely, thereby saving some of your colleagues from time off with exactly the same reasoning as you.

So you don't show up for one day and it all goes to hell in a handbasket...?
    If your Boss hasn't got that angle covered I would be very surprised.

Of course in reality you could do everything necessary remotely, thereby saving some of your colleagues from time off with exactly the same reasoning as you.
    Yeah.....without me and my #1 guy it could, it could go hell in a matter of 20mins. Everything is time sensitive.
    It's the difference between keeping a client paying us 100's of thousands of dollars happy and unfortunately, some can be temperamental.

My boss oversees the desk.....for my division, he basically acts as my admin......he doesn't know the day to day functions.

It's good experience for my #2 guy, and God knows he is paid enough to do it...... And a lot of times having to be thrown in the fire is the best way
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 10th February 2016 at 14:40.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    What would bug me is why someone needed to e-mail the boss, why not just approach you directly? The whole situation could have been sorted out with your explanation.
    Well that's the thing
    It annoys me that people are sending emails buy in the same breath......that is a weird conversation to have with someone

Well, I loaded up in medications today.
    We agreed I will go in tomorrow and see what happens.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Why should everyone else risk getting sick and risking their business because of you? Do you bring in more business than everyone else's total? Seems like a logical call by your boss.
    Quarky likes this.
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Yeah.....without me and my #1 guy it could, it could go hell in a matter of 20mins. Everything is time sensitive.
    It's the difference between keeping a client paying us 100's of thousands of dollars happy and unfortunately, some can be temperamental.

My boss oversees the desk.....for my division, he basically acts as my admin......he doesn't know the day to day functions.

It's good experience for my #2 guy, and God knows he is paid enough to do it...... And a lot of times having to be thrown in the fire is the best way
    Ok, lets says that's all true. But you don't see how by infecting two or three other guys (doing the same as you) you could be making it so much worse...?

Ok, lets says that's all true. But you don't see how by infecting two or three other guys (doing the same as you) you could be making it so much worse...?
    Absolutely I see that.....it was why I was asking others thoughts.

But we are all also adults......you can take precautions from not spreading things......which I was obviously doing.

If it were me......would I rather the sick guy go home, sureu.... But wouldn't complain about it....I'd stay away from them

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar

Not sure what line of work you are in, but you sound like you've got tickets on yourself.....either that or your operations is that micro-managed to the point that no one can step up and fill in different roles.
    There appears to be nil succession planning, so what sort of message does that send out to your junior guys/girls as far as employment progression ??

Turning up to work sick is SELFISH and is not tolerated in my line of work, we would be stretched with resources to have multiple personnel down ill at once, but are able to cope due to succession planning and employee development...

^Well they do say wearing a mask will help....555

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Not sure what line of work you are in, but you sound like you've got tickets on yourself.....either that or your operations is that micro-managed to the point that no one can step up and fill in different roles.
    There appears to be nil succession planning, so what sort of message does that send out to your junior guys/girls as far as employment progression ??

Turning up to work sick is SELFISH and is not tolerated in my line of work, we would be stretched with resources to have multiple personnel down ill at once, but are able to cope due to succession planning and employee development...
    It's a complex situation that has been caused by decisions by my boss.
    My junior guy wasn't even on the same trading system as us until last month. Even though it is a 3 man team! That is why he isn't as capable as he should be.
    We are a 3 man team that can do it as 2......and 1 of us can do it alone but be slammed.
    Just that my Jr guy wasn't on the right system.

Work politics, as usual

And it's also more of a customer issue than micro-managing. In my business I deal with some temperamental customers, but more importantly, customers that have options to go to many different places to give business......so they get used to certain people handling their business.
    Hell I have some customers that prefer to give business to my #1 guy than to give it to me.
    They just got used to dealing with him since I am away from office a lot on business.
    Hopefully now with my Jr guy on the same system(insane he wasn't) we can get our customers comfortable with him. Which they will...... They are just not at that comfort level now
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 10th February 2016 at 15:20.

I don't disagree with the consensus to stay home.

And the plus is I have codeine cough syrup that makes me loopy 555
    Gonna overdo it on that a bit 555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast