Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: retirement..not for everbody

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar

retirement..not for everbody

As some of you know i retired some 10 months...well not completely was only working about 3 mornings a week and then not very hard...by saffa standards im financially secure...it did not take me long to realise that retirement was not going to work...sure i enjoyed the freedom...but had the feeling that i was wasting my time

so began the process of looking for something substantial to do...looked at quiet a few options...and a few business opportunities..came to the conclusion that the more money i spent on a business the more time time i would have to spend in it..so began to look for something smaller....

well finally settled on buying a pet store...55555 no animals for sale...mainly foods and accessaries ...it basically runs it self..just needs better systems in place and better terms with its suppliers...

But really the big question here is how did you guys handle retirement...i know there is a big difference between thos who run there own business as opposed to those who work for a boss...my time has always been my own...did find you were stagnating or where you glad to kick back and do very little

btw this is not casting judgement on anyone's choices..just interested what impact it made on your lives..i quickly learnt i was not ready ..and im not sure when i will be..i think im still to driven .....

and will my holiday patterns change nooooo..still 2 trips a year ..at least one to los
    Sydney likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I don't know about retirement but I am looking into Pet Services business also......but likely a day care or dog hotel
    The ones in North America are just chocked full all the time.............and I think there is a lot of ways you can differentiate yourself

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    As someone who has had a lot of time on his hands recently .... I must say I've enjoyed it , had four months travelling ( which I loved ) and have generally been taking it easy for the remainder of time , but its time to get back to work now , hopefully start a new role in a week or so ....

My retirement plans are still the same , my pension kicks in at 60 , but aiming to have saved enough to finish at around 55 in seven years time . I will then travel to Asia and the surrounding areas for Oct - start of Dec - back home for Xmas and NY - then back out Mid Jan to end of April . Spend the Summer at home and make some trips to France and the UK.

So much I want to see and experience not just in Thailand , but India ,China ( via moscow on the trans-siberian express ) ,New Zealand are all on my list to do when I'm not limited by time

I will need a hobby to help pass the time though , I've spent a lot of time on my Family Tree over the last few months but I need something more , I enjoy Photography so I will look to take that more seriously , improve my skills and learn new techniques , plus do more cycling and walking

I realise lots of things can happen to distrupt my plans along the way , but I think it's good to have targets
    Last edited by Stillearly; 24th February 2016 at 04:21.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    My old man became a treasurer for a furniture scheme charity when he retired. Did it for about 10 years pro bono. He said was most all round rewarding thing he's ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by KRIS-ONE View Post
    My old man became a treasurer for a furniture scheme charity when he retired. Did it for about 10 years pro bono. He said was most all round rewarding thing he's ever done.
    Lots of charity work around like that , I didn't want to commit to anything long term as I wasn't sure how long I had , but have done some ad hoc things - our local hospice does a Xmas tree collection and recycle , so I spent three days in a van picking up trees from Businesses and homes , must say I enjoyed it and will help again next year

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Bit off topic but I'm now very reluctant to donate to large charities anymore.
    Cuzzy likes this.

agreed some of the "business overheads" are crazy , I much prefer small local organisations and bigger % of the funds gets to where it is intended

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I don't know about retirement but I am looking into Pet Services business also......but likely a day care or dog hotel
    The ones in North America are just chocked full all the time.............and I think there is a lot of ways you can differentiate yourself
    i have been pleasently surprised Paulie...we service the top end not the supermarket side of things...and as i found out there is a very big difference in quality and people are prepared to pay...and you right there are lots of ways to differentiate your self from everybody....
    im going to miss my free time for a while 5555555....but buying the business did take quiet bit of work..lots of red tape...and you never ever have the right forms with you...a lot like trying to sort out your visa in thailand 5555555555555

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    i have been pleasently surprised Paulie...we service the top end not the supermarket side of things...and as i found out there is a very big difference in quality and people are prepared to pay...and you right there are lots of ways to differentiate your self from everybody....
    im going to miss my free time for a while 5555555....but buying the business did take quiet bit of work..lots of red tape...and you never ever have the right forms with you...a lot like trying to sort out your visa in thailand 5555555555555
    I think more people go with the top end foods than mass produced now

I go to a small local pet shop vs PetSmart because they give me points and also I get a free bag after every 10 bags
    So you might want to think of a system like that, if the margins are good enough
    it certainly drew me away from the big pet store

We feed him Acana..........made in Canada
    Around 80/bag

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I think more people go with the top end foods than mass produced now

I go to a small local pet shop vs PetSmart because they give me points and also I get a free bag after every 10 bags
    So you might want to think of a system like that, if the margins are good enough
    it certainly drew me away from the big pet store

We feed him Acana..........made in Canada
    Around 80/bag
    yes we do that on certain food items..breaks my heart but we do that 5555555....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Can relate to this well,

I sold my businesses just over two years ago with the intention of having a year off. its now two years. I'm now 49 and feel I'm too young to retire however I suppose I am retired.

The first few months it drove me nuts not having anything to do. I went from working a 60 hour week self employed for most my life to doing nothing. Sold my businesses on a Friday and no hand over period so Monday no work. A very big change.

Things I started to do, I spent a lot more time with my family and helped around the house with my parents. I started back at the gym almost Dailey, I dated a lot during the day when single.

The main thing that I did was travel however now I think I'm a bit obsessed with traveling now and this years a really big one.

The big issue I have now is I really not sure if I want to go back to work, Finically I have rental income, its not a lot but I have learned to live on it. I'm not going forward and that bothers me.

I am currently in discussions with a international company that wants to expand into Australia and looking at taking on the Australian master franchise. These guys made contact with me just after I sold my businesses a few years ago and now trying to do something again. I'm really unsure If I want to go back in this deep I love my life.
    Sydney, Changone, Nomad and 2 others like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Anybody who bought ten bags of anything from me would get the 11th one free, even if was horse ****.
    That's great business for the supplier...555

^^ is Barry franchising his pet shop ?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Geez, I HOPE it's for me!!!

Honestly, 40 years work is enough for me I reckon... the last couple I haven't been working much... wind down mode if you like, clearing LSL and a mountain of other leave,.you tend to accumulate A LOT over 40 years.

I have been lucky with work.... the last 25 years has been brilliant.. I have worked on average about 6 hours a days 8 days per fortnight. Not sure how much longer those sort of working conditions will survive tho.

So I haven't been overworked 555. I have plans to fill in my time... couple of hobbies and that sort of thing.... I am pretty sure, I won't get restless and want to work again... Even if I did, doubtful there would be anything for me.

Bring on retirement!!
    OZZYGUY and Stillearly like this.
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

IMO nobody needs full retirement before they are ready to give up working because they are too busy to go to work.
    Not many people can retire early and then sustain themselves long enough to reach normal retirement age and still have enough money to live on. Just too many opportunities to spend or lose your money.

If you are so wealthy you no longer need to earn money, then there is plenty of volunteer work around.
    Having too much idle time me on your hands always leads to problems.

I recommend semi-retirement in the ten years or so leading up to and after 65.
    It can take years to get a good routine of semi-retirement worked out and like anything, it needs planning and
    flexibility along the way, so start when you are 50+

The worst thing you can do is stop start different business ventures. It's an invitation to lose money.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    the problem for me is i've lived a very physical life and done a lot of driving,operating and riding in it as well as a lot of travelling and exploring. things that keep the mind occupied 100%. things i enjoy too.
    i managed to do a lot in LOS but there's only so much you can do when it starts to become a bit repetitive.
    experienced the tourist strips to the way outback farming communities,jungle trips on my dirt and road bikes,the beach thing and everything in between there.
    the sitting around "people watching" bar crawling/drinking side of things bored me to tears after 2-3 years of it. i think i need to experience it again as a 2 week millionaire where it it's a good change of habit from the 9-5 life at home not just something that's in your face 24/7.

over in LOS i managed to work through all the red tape issues with cars,bikes and visas myself fairly quickly as i wasn't scared of getting it wrong. we all should learn from our mistakes?? certainly a big mountain to climb at the time.

now back in Oz all skills and knowledge of the place had gone and i had to start a fresh. very distressing to find that so much of what i'd learnt had been wiped from my memory plus a hell of a lot of things had changed but not having to do the visa shuffle any more.
    back in sydney,where i lived for nearly 50 years,it was like i'd never been there before. everything was so unfamiliar and i had no idea of what was where or which direction to head to navigate the place.

one funny thing. i''ve seen much more of europe and SE asia than i have of my own country so i had a plan of seeing much more of it. wasn't sure of how or when. well i landed a job that has let me do it and get paid for it. last week crossing the nullabor and into WA. the first time i have ever driven a vehicle in either state.

i seem to have had my retirement and done a lot of things in it and now might work until the day i drop or when i'm eligible for the pension...whichever comes first 55 but i'm not sure if the loss of memory thing is from "if you don't use it you lose it" or losing some grey matter upstairs from excess drinking in the early years in LOS,or just getting old/er. i was very familiar with the workings and able to navigate LOS fairly well so i still have the ability to learn and take things in. now it's my own birth place and culture again.

sitting around doing nothing is a bit over rated IMO!

Last edited by Moo Uaon; 24th February 2016 at 10:56.
    Quarky, Sydney, quiksilva and 4 others like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

^I'd call that "Surviving retirement"..555
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Moo.....that's the best retirement
    When you are young enough to enjoy and then refreshed enough to go back to work!
    quiksilva and Moo Uaon like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Great thread Meese, so interesting reading everyones ideas and what they are doing themselves ... so many questions as well ..

A easy way to answer when to retire is to know when you will die and work back from there ...555

But it doesn't work like that does it .... the only time i feel like retiring is when i am reading Ozzy's post and other about there travels etc

Other than that i love working, love working for myself and creating things, sitting round or even traveling a lot would bore me I THINK

I say i think but really i am not to sure ..... i am generally happy doing whatever, so maybe it could work, as long as i can have a big garage so i can still build stuff ...555

51 now so no choice yet anyway, happy to work hard for another 10 at least
    jontymate and OZZYGUY like this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Me too. Apparently a lot of the charities contract out the the collection of donations to third parties . These companies get 100 % of the donations for the first year and employ professional collectors who hang out side shop doors and use suss tactics to guilt people into donating.
    The advice the show gave was, If you want to donate to a cause you believe in , is to go direct to the charity's web site.
    Personally I stopped donating years ago when the Red Cross was caught Red handed giving the Money collect for the Australians hurt / killed in the Bali Bombings to others, not Aussies.
    Last edited by Tingtong; 24th February 2016 at 12:22.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast