Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 3 Post By bacwaan
  • 1 Post By TMTBOUND
  • 1 Post By TMTBOUND

Thread: Holiday planning help

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar

Holiday planning help

Hi folks - I'm looking to plan my December trip and would like some ideas. I have 2 weeks to play with and want to hit somewhere in SE Asia with nice beach areas. I'd like to maybe split the 2 weeks over 2 countries but if there are enough places in 1 country to see that's ok too.

Requirements:

Nice beaches
    Good food either local/foreign
    Safe
    Plenty of historical/cultural sights to see

Some places I'm going to start reading on are Sinhoukiville followed by maybe Pnomh Penh.

Phu qoc or Nha trang in Vietnam. I'm really interested in vietnam so keep to hear any suggestions.

Will also check out Malaysia. I know there is langkawi (looks ok), Penang (Malaysian version of Phuket but with not as nice beaches?) and redang.

If anyone has any experiences to share or suggestions to make I'd like to hear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Hi folks - I'm looking to plan my December trip and would like some ideas. I have 2 weeks to play with and want to hit somewhere in SE Asia with nice beach areas. I'd like to maybe split the 2 weeks over 2 countries but if there are enough places in 1 country to see that's ok too.

Requirements:

Nice beaches
    Good food either local/foreign
    Safe
    Plenty of historical/cultural sights to see

Some places I'm going to start reading on are Sinhoukiville followed by maybe Pnomh Penh.

Phu qoc or Nha trang in Vietnam. I'm really interested in vietnam so keep to hear any suggestions.

Will also check out Malaysia. I know there is langkawi (looks ok), Penang (Malaysian version of Phuket but with not as nice beaches?) and redang.

If anyone has any experiences to share or suggestions to make I'd like to hear them.

Bill at SB swears by Da Nang and it is also close to Hoi An
    So you can do a few days in Da Nang for beach and then over to Hoi An for historical and nice little town

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Vietnam is great.

A bunch of us did HMC to Ha Long on Honda CG100s a decade before Top Gear.

Fantastic trip.

I like some of the Asian food with the French influence.... ngon.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I am doing Cambodia, Philippines and Vietnam in April and I know Marc26 is in Vietnam in April too.

Kaptinrob has done VN and Cambo he may be able to guide you well. From what I'm told forget Pnomh Penh but Siem Reap is great.
    Cuzzy likes this.

Thanks for the suggestions all. What's Pnomh Penh like in terms of general safety? Aside from Siem Reap I've read a lot of 'horror stories' about general petty crime in both Pnomh Penh, Sinhoukiville and Battambang so not sure what other places in Cambodia are worth checking out. Vietnam on the other hand seems a lot better in terms of safety, infrastructure, albeit with the caveat of people trying to scam you even more so than in Thailand.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Cambodia.....Siem Reap, for Angkor Wat and its surrounding Temples....Phnom Penh, a great place to spend a few days, great nightlife, The Palace. The Museum and The Riverside. I don't find it unsafe but at night use the rickshaws if going distances between venues....Sihanoukville, Beaches and backpacker vibe, a great place to sit by the beach for a few days...and Kep/Kampot for a lazier more Khmer seaside experience

Vietnam......both HCMC and Hanoi are wonderful cosmopolitan cities, great to spend a few days exploring but my favourite part of Vietnam is the Hoi An/Da nang area, Hoi An is a lovely seaside town with a great mariners history which is reflected in the architecture, arts and crafts, a wonderful wet market by the river and a pretty good beach by Viet standards...I like Na Trang as well but for a beach resort town the beaches are pretty crap really...Halong Bay outside of Hanoi is a great place to take a cruise amongst the Limestone Casts (think Krabi/Phi Phi rock formations on steroids) and Sappa and Dalat are interesting mountain retreats

The Philippines...forget Angeles City, Manilla and Subic Bay areas unless you are mongering and head straight down south to Boracay, Cebu and the islands....I love it for the scuba diving but if you are not into that and other water based sports there is not a lot going on in the PI

Malaysia...KL is OK for a few days, great food and old parts of the city...Penang/Langkawi beaches are crap in comparison to Thailand's but Penang has some nice architecture, food and culture....I like the east coast much better...Tioman, Reddang and Perhentian Islands have magnificent Beaches for a quiet getaway
    Quarky, Nomad and OZZYGUY like this.

Ok I think I've got a good idea of an itinerary now. Pnomh Penh followed by Siem Reap then onto Thailand. Patong obviously.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Are you going with the bird?

Holiday planning help

Quote Originally Posted by KRIS-ONE View Post
    Are you going with the bird?

No mate it's over with her. I'm a single man again 😎 so will be going with TMT.

was meant to be going Amsterdam with her next week but going alone now.

Quicker than I predicted.... sorry to hear though Supersub. I thought you might have been saved from this life of sin... 55

Pattaya must be back on the menu surely?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Quicker than I predicted.... sorry to hear though Supersub. I thought you might have been saved from this life of sin... 55

Pattaya must be back on the menu surely?

Maybe not sure yet.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star TMTBOUND's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    No mate it's over with her. I'm a single man again 😎 so will be going with TMT.

was meant to be going Amsterdam with her next week but going alone now.

we are back in the saddle after 2 year hiatus. Should be a fun trip......
    Quarky likes this.

He's on the rebound too TMT, so keep an eye on him... he might sneak off for a quick wedding inbetween pints...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star TMTBOUND's Avatar
    He could end up with three wives ..... One in Phnohm Penh. One Siem reap and one in Patong. 555
    Quarky likes this.