Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Understanding other cultures

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Understanding other cultures

A few incidents in recent months have made me think how learning and understanding that other cultures is one of the best things you can do in life.

I was home at Xmas and just last weekend hanging out with my best friends from high school. They just couldn't grasp that my wife would go home go Thailand for 4-5 months and we are OK. They were definitely judging our relationship.
    Yet both times all of them were trying to cheat on their wives with girls we went to high school with.

Then last night I was talking to my ex-gf.....she has never left Brooklyn but judges all other ways.
    She just can't grasp that my step-son still lives in Thailand while my wife lives in Canada. Now, I struggled with that myself until I came to just accept it and then actually understand it. I don't think I will ever agree with him living apart from his mom but given then circumstances and culture..... I accept it.

Then she was making fun of her brother's gf family.....who are from Colombia and she was commenting on their lack of English.
    I never got that when people make fun of others for not speaking English fluently when most of us can only speak one English.

Just coming out of those things interactions..... It just makes me happy understanding other cultures

I will be in Vietnam in about 3 weeks and I am most excited about going on a cycling tour where you end up eating dinner at the Vietnamese owner's house. Just to get that experience and exposure to thier culture in their home is downright exciting to me

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    A few incidents in recent months have made me think how learning and understanding that other cultures is one of the best things you can do in life.

I was home at Xmas and just last weekend hanging out with my best friends from high school. They just couldn't grasp that my wife would go home go Thailand for 4-5 months and we are OK. They were definitely judging our relationship.
    Yet both times all of them were trying to cheat on their wives with girls we went to high school with.

Then last night I was talking to my ex-gf.....she has never left Brooklyn but judges all other ways.
    She just can't grasp that my step-son still lives in Thailand while my wife lives in Canada. Now, I struggled with that myself until I came to just accept it and then actually understand it. I don't think I will ever agree with him living apart from his mom but given then circumstances and culture..... I accept it.

Then she was making fun of her brother's gf family.....who are from Colombia and she was commenting on their lack of English.
    I never got that when people make fun of others for not speaking English fluently when most of us can only speak one English.

Just coming out of those things interactions..... It just makes me happy understanding other cultures

I will be in Vietnam in about 3 weeks and I am most excited about going on a cycling tour where you end up eating dinner at the Vietnamese owner's house. Just to get that experience and exposure to thier culture in their home is downright exciting to me
    It's probably more than just understanding other cultures though? Just understanding ANYTHING different to what you are used to... the examples of your school friends you give... it sounds like more than not having empathy for other cultures... they don't have empathy for anything different to how they live and think either?

But you are right that being exposed to other cultures and ways of living makes you more aware...

By the way... Romanians... lovely people... great sense of humour, but incredibly racist... and why? Because they don't have much ethic diversity in their country. They don't have the experience of mixing and living with other ethnicities... so anything different is treated suspiciously...
    Last edited by Quarky; 20th March 2016 at 06:47.
    jontymate likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I believe traveling to SEA and mixing with Asian people/ culture has changed my attitude towards life for the better, however I do get frustrated with the attitudes of our people towards Asian and black people in general. I am now seeing a change in my son as he grows to an young adult having respect for people and especially females. I don't see that much with teenagers.

Mark26 I get what you say about your stepson being away from his mom. My GF Janice has two kids back home that her mom and step father take care of them. The kids have a great life, private schooling, helpers to look after them and a group of friends and close small community. We want to bring them to Aust but are worried. Its just so different in Australia. My ex (who I now have a good relationship with) and some of my friends cannot understand how a mother can leave her kids in another country. Its complicated and sometimes better that way. But they are so judgmental because they don't understand.

Also looking forward to Vietnam to experience the culture, just booked a 3 night motor bike tour with home stay each night. Hue to Hoi An is a 5 hour ride but we will do it over 3 nights.
    jontymate likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ what sort of bikes do they use? Know a guy in hanoi that rents some XR 250s.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Some Russian thing, I'm doing Hue to HoiAn

Minsk 2 stroke?. ....boy that's gonna be an experience 55
    OZZYGUY and Cuzzy like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    paulie...i think people who dont travel see the world through very narrow eyes(and no it was not a pun)...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Some Russian thing, I'm doing Hue to HoiAn
    Sounds like a blast ozzy, except I think I'd rather do it on an XR 2fiddy ! 555
    Moo Uaon and OZZYGUY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I believe traveling to SEA and mixing with Asian people/ culture has changed my attitude towards life for the better, however I do get frustrated with the attitudes of our people towards Asian and black people in general. I am now seeing a change in my son as he grows to an young adult having respect for people and especially females. I don't see that much with teenagers.

Mark26 I get what you say about your stepson being away from his mom. My GF Janice has two kids back home that her mom and step father take care of them. The kids have a great life, private schooling, helpers to look after them and a group of friends and close small community. We want to bring them to Aust but are worried. Its just so different in Australia. My ex (who I now have a good relationship with) and some of my friends cannot understand how a mother can leave her kids in another country. Its complicated and sometimes better that way. But they are so judgmental because they don't understand.

Also looking forward to Vietnam to experience the culture, just booked a 3 night motor bike tour with home stay each night. Hue to Hoi An is a 5 hour ride but we will do it over 3 nights.
    When my wife took her medical for her initial work permit in Canada is came back she had a heart murmur
    Nothing too bad but she had to take another physical and the thing is.....Immigration Canada never let us know if she was "OK" to stay given they don't want Immigrants to be a blight on thealthcare.
    So we were in limbo for 3 years until we needed to apply for new WP and she got hers.
    We had planned on him coming when he was 9-10 but because if those 3 years he was 12 yrs old when we got our new work permits.
    By that time we thought it best to leave him in school in Thailand, make sure he becomes fluent in English and then go to University in Canada or the US
    A big factor in that was, besides him being almost a teenager and not wanting to leave his life at home...... We knew This who brought their kids to Canada when the boy was 13 and the daughter was 8
    The boy just never got up to speed socially whereas the girl is a rock star

I still don't think it is ideal that my wife doesn't live with her son. Not really ever having to raise her son, at times I feel I am more the parent than she is.
    She isn't bad now, but a few years ago I'd have to remind her to spend time with her son when she'd go back to Thailand.
    But now that she is older she is more content on just hanging out with her family.
    Last night her, my stepson and our niece went to the movies and to MK.....oh and her CC that I pay went also 555
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Minder and OZZYGUY like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    It's probably more than just understanding other cultures though? Just understanding ANYTHING different to what you are used to... the examples of your school friends you give... it sounds like more than not having empathy for other cultures... they don't have empathy for anything different to how they live and think either?

But you are right that being exposed to other cultures and ways of living makes you more aware...

By the way... Romanians... lovely people... great sense of humour, but incredibly racist... and why? Because they don't have much ethic diversity in their country. They don't have the experience of mixing and living with other ethnicities... so anything different is treated suspiciously...
    Just somehow made me think of this....55

Quarky and Cuzzy like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post

I agree with the OP and I believe that for children growing up, being exposed to and experiencing other cultures helps for a more rounded person. Having that understand, therefore empathy and tolerance of those in our own society. I must say that when you have lived elsewhere and HAVE to immerse yourself in a culture including a new language, gives a new level of not only empathy in my own country but a level of respect.

A few weeks ago I was at subway for lunch in Sydney. There was a Chinese girl trying to order. She was getting there but taking some time. You could see the staff getting annoyed....... the arms folded and the eyes telling the story. That internal voice said do I help or let her go and fumble through. Would I make it worse or a better experience. I can say the words for cucumber and some of the others but no way for olives, jalapenos let alone ranch sauce.

I let it go but identified with that situation and had a little word about tolerance as I ordered mine.

I guess Paulie, when it come to things like family dynamics and you have a buy in (both literally and figuratively) though you understand it. It's little more left or right of center to than the default scope that we have been accustom or socialized to.
    Quarky likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

^ let her do it herself and the next time will be easier for her? that's my take on it....trial and error...not just give up or have a go.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 24th March 2016 at 21:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ let her do it herself and the next time will be easier for her? that's my take on it....trial and error...not just give up or have a go.
    I'd let her do it herself but I'd also ask the staff if they'd be able to order easy enough in China

I honestly never understood people getting annoyed with other's English
    Quarky likes this.

Seven_

Just being picky and putting on my rhodes scholar cap 555, what you are describing is not lack of understanding of culture what you are talking about, (the correct term) would be lack of understanding of diversity.

People often get culture and diversity confused.

None the less, the lack of understanding of diversity is a big issue in most countries. Although the USA is often stereotypically regarded as the leader of western nations in this regard.
    Last edited by Seven_; 24th March 2016 at 23:55.
    jontymate likes this.

Even before I started travelling, I always seemed to gravitate towards different cultures
    I grew up Irish American family but was attracted to the Italian Americans culture more
    When moved to NYC, I liked going into the Peurto Rican neighborhoods, eating their foods
    Dated mostly ethnic girls

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Marc26, from the age of about 7 I went to school with a very mixed race (now 61). We had a National Children's Home in our town where you got a lot of kids from disfunctional families living in. Even at the age of 7 we had a mixed race school, so have grown up with a lot of mixed race friends.
    We had West Indian, Indian, Paki's you name it we had it. In the 60's/70's that was hard for them. West Indian's were Ok, but the rest could be so so.
    Some good, but the rest, just did their own thing and kept themselves to themselves. When you got older, then some of those barriers were removed, but still not 100%.
    The thing is now days the kids of the people who kept a distance from then, could be the shyte that are going round blowing up Europe now. Perhaps we were right all those years ago, keeping your distance from them.
    Last edited by chelski; 25th March 2016 at 02:31.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    Just being picky and putting on my rhodes scholar cap 555, what you are describing is not lack of understanding of culture what you are talking about, (the correct term) would be lack of understanding of diversity.

People often get culture and diversity confused.

None the less, the lack of understanding of diversity is a big issue in most countries. Although the USA is often stereotypically regarded as the leader of western nations in this regard.
    Seven

Hopefully you can help me. Chatting with a guy (an ex teacher of my wife) that is now teaching at university level. English is good but not perfect.

I was asking about benefits from his job. He contradicts a lot of what my wife says.. I say that not in a bad way he is just more concise / precise but still things lost in translation. My wife will not have it that I will question him when i do not fully understand.

He tells me a wage of XYZ. Professor? level. Now the benefits. 100% health care not only for him but his parents also. Pension from 60 YO ......

Really?
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by jontymate View Post
    He tells me a wage of XYZ. Professor? level. Now the benefits. 100% health care not only for him but his parents also. Pension from 60 YO ......

Really?
    All teachers get free health care (insurance) for their immediate family. They also get a pension from age 60 (which may be raising to 65 soon), plus housing allowance, yearly bonus, and low/no interest loans, plus more.

Given he is a professor, I am sure there would be many more perks up for inclusion and negotiation in his employment contact, much the same as it is in any country for that level of teachers.
    jontymate likes this.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Understanding different cultures....hmmmmm I think I need more time understanding Thai culture so much to learn so little time.
    jontymate likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    .hmmmmm I think I need more time understanding Thai culture so much to learn so little time.
    my tip.

don't even try.....took me a few years to work that out though 55

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast