• 1 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 2 Post By Minder
  • 2 Post By Minder
  • 1 Post By Arliss Michaels
  • 1 Post By chelski

Thread: Overseas drivers licence in Aust

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Overseas drivers licence in Aust

I have asked Google on this and cannot seam to find the correct info. Maybe some BM's have come across this.

When driving in Australia on a overseas drivers licence what happens if the driver gets a speeding fine. I understand you can pay the fine but what happens with the demerit points.

How can they allocate demerit points to someone that has not got an Australian licence?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    AFAIK - you have to be a Thai national to drive on a Thai licence in OZ.
    So demerit points would mean jack sh*t.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i used my thai license to rent a car when i came back.
    took a few days to get my Oz DL renewed.

as far as using an OS license in Oz and picking up a ticket you may not be allowed to leave until it is paid?
    as far as a camera ticket goes it would be up to the registered owner to pay up?
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 29th March 2016 at 17:17.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    When driving in Australia on a overseas drivers licence what happens if the driver gets a speeding fine. I understand you can pay the fine but what happens with the demerit points.
    It depends on which state or territory you commit the offence in as each has its own rules on the matter, but generally the points are recorded against the person and after you hit the limit your right to drive in that state is revoked.

How can they allocate demerit points to someone that has not got an Australian licence?
    Points are recorded against the persons name.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    AFAIK - you have to be a Thai national to drive on a Thai licence in OZ.
    So demerit points would mean jack sh*t.
    This isn't correct, again the rules depend on which state you are in, most states have a time limit eg. NSW is 3mths, VIC 6mths & WA is as long as you are visiting for, before you are required to hold a local licence.

Although in Victoria its an offence to use an overseas licence if you hold a VIC licence etc, but an Australian citizen can use any overseas licence if this doesn't apply.

The key thing is that you aren't residing in the state full time, as once you do thats when you need to change your licence over in most cases.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    In WA points would be awarded but mean not so much until or if the person became permanent and requires a WA licence the points would then be awarded to your new WA licence same as they are if you are interstate licence holder them a WA lic holder.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    My TG learnt to drive here and was on Learners in Oz and then got her D/L in Thailand. When she came back we just used her Thai D/L so she could drive without L plates and me not needed in the car. After awhile she was pulled over for a RBT and handed over the Thai licence. The local cop knew that we were rorting the system " so to speak" and said about time we got moving on the Learners to P plate stage. Funny thing after he handed her back her Thai D/L and we drove off and I was looking at it, and it had expired 2 weeks prior so we got the Driving test organised pronto
    wabbits and OZZYGUY like this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    In WA points would be awarded but mean not so much until or if the person became permanent and requires a WA licence the points would then be awarded to your new WA licence same as they are if you are interstate licence holder them a WA lic holder.
    Well there goes my idea of putting her name on my speeding fine. 555
    wabbits likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Well there goes my idea of putting her name on my speeding fine. 555
    Nominate the driver via a Stat Dec .... Generate a Random Name - Random, Australian, Australia - Fake Name Generator

..then scribble a name in the sworn in the presence of part and fill in some appropriate details ... Frank N Stine MD etc

...NEVER actually swear the Stat Dec or it becomes a legal document and you can be charged with an offence ....

...if my "brother" Paul ever returns to Australia they will throw away the key ...555
    Nomad and OZZYGUY like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Weird that frame name generator

I was given the identity of Gabrysz Kwiatkowski, 84 year old Registered nurse anesthetist with a 2001 Holden Cruze

Bizarre part is, address given is less than 2km from where I grew up in NZ

Ex cops seem well versed/practiced in fraud?
    Does that come from the "verbaling" culture 555!
    Last edited by Zablive; 30th March 2016 at 23:30.

Ex cops seem well versed/practiced in fraud?
    Does that come from the "verbaling" culture 555!
    Work long enough inside any industry and if you keep your eyes open you'll see where the gaps are (or were 20 years ago 555).

My favourite divert was this one for use if the Police ever come to your door looking for you.

In practice I defy anyone to not identify themselves - one way or another - to any Policeman standing at the front door asking "Are you Mr David Jones?" if you are.

Admission will mean you are him, refusal to answer will mean you are him and denial will mean you won't find out why the cops are looking for you (till they catch up with you in less favourable circumstance, such as driving your car).

So once having identified yourself you would think there is no way back once the copper then pulls out the paperwork for that old speeding fine ... but we are male so it is a simple look of puzzlement followed by
    "Ah, you are looking for David Jones Senior, my father."
    (never use Junior and son as that will keep the file alive whereas a 95 to 100 year old Dad with dementia in a fictitious permanent care facility in a distant State will certainly kill the file...555)
    Quarky and kaptainrob like this.

Thanks for proving my assertion Minder 55555!

Assertion? I thought it was a rhetorical question.... 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Zablive Senior is who Chob & I would have dobbed in, if we were caught on your 3 wheel bike one night in the past
    Quarky likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Love the name generator had some fun with that, think a may be a bit Chinese.

Xavier Simcha

42 Bayview Close
    WALTERHALL QLD 4714

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Christopher Sherwin - MOONTA SA......Physician reporting for duty 5555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Ozzy, if your GF is on an overseas Licence & living here full time, I think you will find that she only has 3 months to get an Aussie Licence. It is the same if you come from Interstate, you have only 3 months to get the state licence changed.
    If she is driving your car, the fine will be sent to you and then you have the option of paying the fine and recording the demerits against your licence, or naming the person driving the car and then they cop the penalty.

Be careful about going longer then the 3 months if she is living here full time, as I moved from Victoria to NSW and did not know at the time you had to get another licence for NSW. I got stopped in our companies van, showed my Vic Licence and got done for unlicenced & uninsured driving. Had to leave the van on the side of the road and get someone to come and pick it up.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chelski View Post
    Ozzy, if your GF is on an overseas Licence & living here full time, I think you will find that she only has 3 months to get an Aussie Licence. It is the same if you come from Interstate, you have only 3 months to get the state licence changed.
    If she is driving your car, the fine will be sent to you and then you have the option of paying the fine and recording the demerits against your licence, or naming the person driving the car and then they cop the penalty.

Be careful about going longer then the 3 months if she is living here full time, as I moved from Victoria to NSW and did not know at the time you had to get another licence for NSW. I got stopped in our companies van, showed my Vic Licence and got done for unlicenced & uninsured driving. Had to leave the van on the side of the road and get someone to come and pick it up.
    If you are on a visa and not full time resident you are allowed to drive on a overseas licence. Once you get the partner visa or what ever visa to stay then you have 3 months to get a drivers licence.

Yes the fine was sent to me and I have the option to put the drivers name that will be me. She has had speeding and parking fines before wasn't too sure how they handled the demerit points.