Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344
Like Tree432Likes

Thread: Aviation Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Thomas Cook went out even before this sh!tshow ....never heard anything more about Cook over here.

Did a government bail all the stranded ?
    "The Civil Aviation Authority said more than 90% of the 150,000 holidaymakers abroad at the time of Thomas Cook’s failure have been brought home to the UK under Operation Matterhorn. The airlift officially comes to an end on Sunday, when nearly 800 flights involving 140 aircraft will have taken place since the holiday firm entered liquidation two weeks ago.“Around 90% of Thomas Cook passengers have now been repatriated and we will continue to work around the clock to support the final passengers’ return to the UK,” said Richard Moriarty, the chief executive of the CAA.
    The CAA said 94% of people had flown back on the original days of their cancelled Thomas Cook flights."
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

7 x Jet2 flights to spain turned around ... returned to UK. Jet2 going belly up OR Spain closed it's borders?

Edit: More like the latter ...

Last edited by kaptainrob; 14th March 2020 at 21:01.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Read that only empty flights are going to pick up pax already in Spain, reason is many of Spain's resorts are in lockdown.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I certainly won't be booking any flights within the next 7 months... if then.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Delta has parked up 300 planes, cutting 40% of capacity .... and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

In other news ... a Southwest 737 has been grounded pending repairs to a fuselage crack which lead to depressurisation. While news is sketchy rumour has it this may be due to 'pickle fork' failure ... another problem, highlighted recently, which affects 737 NG's. Yet to be confirmed but worrying for Boeing and the traveling public ... when we get up a go flying again.

Pickle forks are load-bearing attachments between wing spars and fuselage - similar to how U-bolts attach an axle to a vehicles suspension/body.
    No update yet though the aircraft in question is believed to be a 737 -700 NG. Apparently the early NG's had other problems such as poor lap joints (where fuselage sections are joined) and an inherent problem with the basic structure ... which was covered up. See 2010 AJ vid below "on a wing and a prayer" ...
    Cheers, Rob.

Airlines around the World face very difficult times. Some will not survive.

In the interim, while Covid 19 holds the traveling public to ransom, airlines are parking aircraft. Brisbane airport in QLD is likely to host some 100 or more Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin planes. BNE, having recently completed a 2nd parallel runway, has plenty of available parking space on taxiways, aprons and the new runway.

QLDs climate is ideal for short term storage and supplemented by Alice Springs for longer term ... 737 MAX planes.

NOTE Brisbane Airport (BNE) is my favourite in Australia for quick easy access by road or city rail, a spacious and efficient checkin area and easy no fuss departures. Even the Immigration staff and Customs are pleasant and processing is fast.
    justcruzing1 likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^^ I don't disagree with you Rob, probably Qantas, Jetstar may park up there but I would think Virgin will look to park up at the new regional airport west of Toowoomba... Dalby?? that they have supporting.

They have a good amount of paddock and out there there is no salt air, unlike Brisbane which is reclaimed land on the bay.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    ^^^ I don't disagree with you Rob, probably Qantas, Jetstar may park up there but I would think Virgin will look to park up at the new regional airport west of Toowoomba... Dalby?? that they have supporting.

They have a good amount of paddock and out there there is no salt air, unlike Brisbane which is reclaimed land on the bay.
    Short term the salt air isn't too much a worry and applies to most all East coast airports. Having a 2nd runway and jet maintenence is the advantage. I imagine the plane washing crews will be kept busy ... quite a lucrative sideline in the industry I believe.... Need long handled squeegees and a step ladder or 2 .... 55
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    TLandHim likes this.

Platinum

Since we are in Lockdown

and ain't going to fly anywhere soon

I thought I might share a photo or two of some planes that caught my eye.
    I hope you find them interesting

DSC09851.jpg
    DSC09850.jpg
    DSC09849.jpg
    Quarky and Tingtong like this.

Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    and ain't going to fly anywhere soon

I thought I might share a photo or two of some planes that caught my eye.
    I hope you find them interesting

DSC09851.jpg
    DSC09850.jpg
    DSC09849.jpg
    Spacey looking 'flying boat' ?

Any details ?

Platinum
    Spacey looking 'flying boat' ?

Any details ?
    It certainly caught my eye
    Just looked so unlikely to fly but it did

It is a Columbia XJL-1
    and built in 1946 for the US Navy
    only 3 built and was canned by the navy in 1948 because of numerous structural failures.
    119mph speed and 2 crew and 6 passengers.

This I saw at the Pima Air Museum in Tuscon which is an amazing place.
    Many planes I had never seen
    Chob likes this.

Platinum
    Here is another one from Pima
    What I liked is that you could just walk around and up to each plane if you wanted.
    We took a trolley tour and then walked around on our own.

This is a Convair B-36J, Strategic Bomber in service from 1947 to 1959
    6 engined pusher propeller - never heard of it before. It was huge for its day - still looked impressive.

DSC09826.jpg
    DSC09824.jpg
    DSC09822.jpg

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    ^ Well thats interesting !

I dont think Ive ever seen a push propeller set up before.

One would think either a 'push' or 'pull' set up would be superior and you would never see the other.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

One would think either a 'push' or 'pull' set up would be superior and you would never see the other.
    Naw, it's to fly backwards to confuse the enemy. 55555

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Here is another one from Pima
    What I liked is that you could just walk around and up to each plane if you wanted.
    We took a trolley tour and then walked around on our own.

This is a Convair B-36J, Strategic Bomber in service from 1947 to 1959
    6 engined pusher propeller - never heard of it before. It was huge for its day - still looked impressive.

DSC09826.jpg
    DSC09824.jpg
    DSC09822.jpg
    Are they JATO units on the outer wings?

Cadet Gold

I was working in PNG in the 60s and the Cessna 337 was a popular aircraft. It had two inline engines in push-pull configuration. The locals called them "push'im he come, pull'im he go" in Pidgin.

TLandHim likes this.

Good report .... especially like the Antonov @ 5:30

Cheers, Rob.

A damning report on TG incident over Frankfurt. https://samchui.com/2020/03/30/thai-...ding-incident/
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344