The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree340Likes

Thread: Aviation Stuff

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar

Aviation Stuff

The Chiang Rai Airfield thread shows a lot of aviation interest in here. Keep it flying.

Plane diverted due to co-pilot breaking leg | Stuff.co.nz

Fell down the stairs?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

The world's biggest plane is landing in Perth today.
    Should be in about midday.
    Don't know if you will see it on flight radar but I'll have a look.
    Airport roads are gridlocked now, as there's no public transport.
    There's a lesson in there somewhere....
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

The world's biggest plane is landing in Perth today.
    Should be in about midday.
    Don't know if you will see it on flight radar but I'll have a look.
    Airport roads are gridlocked now, as there's no public transport.
    There's a lesson in there somewhere....
    It was at KLIA yesterday, World

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Thousands of people are going to the airport to watch it land. Yep.. that's what passes for entertainment for us.

This looks pretty cool as well..

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

I thought you'd be out there to wave goodbye as Bruce and the boys fly out...555
    Bacon likes this.

Bacon likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Watching pilots work is fascinating.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    NZ restored 1944 Catalina
    19 May 2016

A group of aviation enthusiasts has finished restoring a 1944 Catalina Flying Boat to ensure it remains a working memorial to New Zealand's war history in the Pacific

The 1944 PBY-5 Catalina is the only one of its kind in New Zealand and the only one in the Southern Hemisphere that can take passengers.

It's a challenge to fly, New Plymouth pilot captain Brett Emeny says.

" It's quite heavy on the controls, so to fly it accurately takes quite a lot of balance between the ailerons and rudder control."

Modern aircraft of a similar size have computerised systems that control the rudder and keep the aircraft in balance, but the Catalina doesn't have any of that, Emeny says.

"You have to hand fly it. It's real seat of the pants flying. That's probably what I like about it. To fly it well you have to really concentrate on what you are doing."

The Catalina is a flying example of a memorial for WWII aircrew - there were 54 Catalinas in three RNZAF squadrons in the Pacific, he says.

"They were brave boys flying these. They were only getting along at about 100 knots with all the gear they had hanging off them and carrying 6500 litres of fuel in behind the engines, so if a fighter (plane) managed to find them there was very little chance of getting away from it."

In WWII there were about 3500 Catalinas operating in all theatres of war.

They were built in Canada and used by the Canadian airforce hunting submarines across the Atlantic, Emeny says.

"They were going 1000 miles out to sea on 20 hour missions hunting submarines. They carried bombs, torpedoes or depth charges and they decimated the German U Boat fleet because they could fly 1000 miles out to sea and find U Boats on the surface recharging their batteries thinking they were safe from aerial attack."

They were used in the Pacific for picking up downed aircrew, he says.

"You have to be pretty brave doing that. There were fighters all over the place and they'd be going along 95-100 miles and land on the water to pick people up. They'd be sitting ducks on the water. They had some pretty severe losses."
    Last edited by Hatari; 20th May 2016 at 04:01.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    NZ restored 1944 Catalina
    19 May 2016

A group of aviation enthusiasts has finished restoring a 1944 Catalina Flying Boat to ensure it remains a working memorial to New Zealand's war history in the Pacific

The 1944 PBY-5 Catalina is the only one of its kind in New Zealand and the only one in the Southern Hemisphere that can take passengers.

It's a challenge to fly, New Plymouth pilot captain Brett Emeny says.

" It's quite heavy on the controls, so to fly it accurately takes quite a lot of balance between the ailerons and rudder control."

Modern aircraft of a similar size have computerised systems that control the rudder and keep the aircraft in balance, but the Catalina doesn't have any of that, Emeny says.

"You have to hand fly it. It's real seat of the pants flying. That's probably what I like about it. To fly it well you have to really concentrate on what you are doing."

The Catalina is a flying example of a memorial for WWII aircrew - there were 54 Catalinas in three RNZAF squadrons in the Pacific, he says.

"They were brave boys flying these. They were only getting along at about 100 knots with all the gear they had hanging off them and carrying 6500 litres of fuel in behind the engines, so if a fighter (plane) managed to find them there was very little chance of getting away from it."

In WWII there were about 3500 Catalinas operating in all theatres of war.

They were built in Canada and used by the Canadian airforce hunting submarines across the Atlantic, Emeny says.

"They were going 1000 miles out to sea on 20 hour missions hunting submarines. They carried bombs, torpedoes or depth charges and they decimated the German U Boat fleet because they could fly 1000 miles out to sea and find U Boats on the surface recharging their batteries thinking they were safe from aerial attack."

They were used in the Pacific for picking up downed aircrew, he says.

"You have to be pretty brave doing that. There were fighters all over the place and they'd be going along 95-100 miles and land on the water to pick people up. They'd be sitting ducks on the water. They had some pretty severe losses."

My Dad flew one of these Black Cats in WW2 (and died in it.)

One was being restored in a hanger at Whenuapai when I was there, maybe late eighties. I think it was from MOTAT OR Sir Keith Parkes Museum.

I was surprised at how small they were after seeing Sunderlands at Shelly Bay in Wellington as a kid.

This will interest you Baz.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Thanks for that Bri.

Being British they didn't mention the "Double Sunrise" mail flights by Qantas Catalinas from Perth to Ceylon then onto England.

The Catalinas | Qantas

Distantpeak likes this.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Today search will continue for a helicopter in north Chanthaburi province, gone since 2pm Saturday with three crew
    Area being searched is Khao Chamao national park, news said now 400 army and locals involved in search. Helicopter had dropped off supplies to a radar station within the national park. I think the highest peak is just over 1000m, rugged country the national park crosses into Rayong and Chachoengsao provinces. Heavy rain throughout. They'll be goners I expect.
    These helicopters are often at our local navy/coastguard base on the edge of town (highway closes when planes land and take off), in the major flooding a couple, or was it three, years ago they were flying constantly dropping supplies to isolated areas. Understand they're quite old, 20yrs plus.

Article from Nation
    ...bad weather was causing poor visibility, which was the main obstacle preventing an aerial search. Authorities had to focus on operations on the ground, he said.
    Bangkok Post
    The air force will apply thermal imaging on the fourth day of the search for its missing helicopter and three officers on mountainous terrain in Chanthaburi province on Tuesday. ACM Suttipong Inseeyong commander of the air force's air operation control, said on Monday that an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with thermal imaging equipment is to be used in conjunction with more people on the ground to locate officers missing with the UH-1 helicopter since Saturday. Thermal imaging would be effective through cloud and fog but a UAV flight could be difficult if it rained, the commander said. Special warfare army soldiers would be deployed on Tuesday in addition to about 400 soldiers and villagers in the search and rescue mission.
    Last edited by Hatari; 28th June 2016 at 04:59.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Bangkok Post
    28 June 2016. 12.44pm

A search and rescue team has found the missing air force's Huey helicopter in a deep valley adjoining Chanthaburi and Rayong provinces, with all three crew members killed at the crash site, according to media reports.

The UH-1H helicopter went missing on Saturday afternoon over the Khao Chamao-Khao Wong National Park in the adjoining Rayong's Khao Chamao district and Chanthaburi's Kaeng Hang Maew district after delivering supplies from Don Mueang airport in Bangkok to a radar station on Khao Chamao mountain.

Platinum

What are these aircraft?

Wandering around Peenemunde in northern Germany today and these two at the air field caught my attention.

Anyone have any ideas of what they are?

DSC06065.jpg
    DSC06061.jpg
    DSC06062.jpg

The bottom one looks like a Mig 21.
    TLandHim likes this.

The artist formally known as Wabbits wabbits's Avatar
    Flying into Bkk on Saturday we are starting to decend I'm lazily looking out the window at the nasty looking weather to the west hoping we won't be descending through that.
    And I spy another Air Asia jet flying in the opposite direction distances are decieving but I would have said 500 meters and about the same in altitude lower did not give me the best feeling far to close in my mind.

Anyone experience this?

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast