Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Would you pay to post on a web forum?

Would you pay to post on a web forum?

Interesting concept, even just a few cents/baht/bitcoins(!) per post

Not 'pay per post' but Facebook looking at more revenue opportunities

Facebook might add a digital tip jar to posts, providing a revenue-generating source for users, according to a survey obtained by the Verge.

The survey asked verified users if they would be interested in several options for profiting from posts, including branded content, sponsorship matchups, or sharing ad revenue from Facebook. It also offered two more promotional options: some sort of call to action, such as signing up for alerts or buying tickets, as well as a "donate to charity" option.

The survey suggests that Facebook is taking steps to become a more explicit publisher platform and looking to shift its monetization model to benefit content generators.
    More like this:

Pay to spray? Charging for online comments

Monday, 25 April 2016

Tribune Publishing, which owns the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times, turned on SolidOpinion's software for the San Diego Union-Tribune's website over the weekend.

Readers can earn points, which can be used to buy more prominent placement for their comments at the end of news stories, by posting comments, visiting the site regularly, or spending real money. The newspaper sells 880 points for $10. The minimum price of a promoted spot is 15 points. Tribune isn't using the software on its biggest papers at first.

Until now, the newspaper was using Facebook's commenting system. The Union-Tribune had mixed feelings about its dependence on the social network. It was hungry for more data about its readers and felt that Facebook wasn't sending as much traffic back to its site as expected. The company also pays for online moderators and was tempted by the idea of offloading that cost to the people leaving the comments, said Tom Mallory, the paper's online news director. But Mallory's main goal was straightforward: "to stamp out troll-ism."

Robertson's startup is one of an increasingly broad spectrum of experiments to bring controversial commenters under control. Another startup, called Civil, makes a tool that requires readers to rate the quality of two comments and then certify that their own comment is civil before their post goes live. The New York Times, The Washington Post, and the Mozilla and Knight foundations are collaborating to create open-source tools that publishers can use to manage comments.

Then there's the nuclear option. Last year, Tablet magazine, started charging people to post any comment on its website. Readers can pay $2 a day, $18 a month, or $180 a year. Alana Newhouse, the magazine's editor-in-chief, said she was sick of anonymous commenters haranguing her writers but wanted to leave an option for people willing to prove their good intentions by making what amounts to a donation.

The result has been far fewer comments, but Newhouse doesn't mind. She said making money was never the priority. "They are not just flailing and throwing spitballs at you because they're trying to impress their Facebook friends," she said. Since first implementing the system last February, Newhouse said she's lost count of how many publications have contacted her as they explore similar moves.

Don't let Wabbits see this... 55
    Changone likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Don't let Wabbits see this... 55

And if he wanted backpay..........................I think DP would be off in the distance 555
    Quarky and meese like this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Pay tv, News paywalls, personally I avoid them all.
    Pay to blog?
    I can see how people who blog for a living might see an on cost as part of what they do,
    but not on a special interest forum. It's hard enough to get BM's to post for free...555

Cuzzy likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Sometimes when you pay you value it more!
    If people paid here there would be felt level of ownership the forum would have more proactive members and it would be good for the forum.
    Even as little as 10 bucks a year.
    Hatari likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    You wouldn't see me for dust and small pebbles 555!
    1080 and Cuzzy like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Sometimes when you pay you value it more!
    If people paid here there would be felt level of ownership the forum would have more proactive members and it would be good for the forum.
    Even as little as 10 bucks a year.
    not that many here in any case Wabbits....just a few guys posting here these days...perhaps you need to spice things up a bit..i think the few expats that we have are tired of saying the same things over and over..and here i refer to there thoughts on los...to be honest there is very little on los these days...

Platinum
    M26 would be bankrupt!
    obes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    You wouldn't see me for dust and small pebbles 555!
    Cheap Charlie lol

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    not that many here in any case Wabbits....just a few guys posting here these days...perhaps you need to spice things up a bit..i think the few expats that we have are tired of saying the same things over and over..and here i refer to there thoughts on los...to be honest there is very little on los these days...
    So are we slowly dying a slow death?
    Is this a wasted exercise?
    Should the plug just be pulled?

Quote Originally Posted by Cashpoint View Post
    M26 would be bankrupt!
    The 7484 posts by a couple of rugby fans ... A cent or a baht per post?

EDIT: South African currency may not be accepted....
    Last edited by Hatari; 25th April 2016 at 16:24.
    PeteGill likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    So are we slowly dying a slow death?
    Is this a wasted exercise?
    Should the plug just be pulled?
    There are a number of interesting building threads going on at the moment.
    There are and have been a number of trip reports happening.
    Like all things, interest does seem to go up and down. And LOS content rises and falls.

But go on any Thailand related forum and you see the same. Teak Door has far more non LOS subjects running at any one time than LOS related ones. And they are about a thousand times bigger than us. Plus they have the same arguments about content and lack of new members.

We have however lost a few good contributors of late, and that is a little sad. And there does seem to be a slightly higher level of sniping going on.... Sometimes it seems more aimed at the contributor as opposed to the subject... And yes I know that I am guilty of that myself. But I have been keeping away from the more controversial stuff of late.

I think we have to realise that as the demographics of visitors and Expats to LOS change, so will the forums.
    Last edited by PeteGill; 25th April 2016 at 16:29.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    The 7484 posts by a couple of rugby fans ... A cent or a baht per post?

EDIT: South African currency may not be accepted....
    I am sure I can rustle up some Zim dollars from somewhere 555
    Hatari likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    I should be paid for my contributions...they are that good. Just sayin...
    PeteGill likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Id pay a small annual fee to keep this forum going if it came to that...Just enough to cover costs would be fair enough .

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    But go on any Thailand related forum and you see the same. Teak Door has far more non LOS subjects running at any one time than LOS related ones. And they are about a thousand times bigger than us. Plus they have the same arguments about content and lack of new members.
    Just looked at Teakdoor's current stats.

Active Users over the last 60 minutes: 616 (63 members and 553 guests)
    Total members that have visited the forum in the last 24 hours: 247
    Most users ever online was 8,826, 29-06-2010 at 01:57 AM.
    It's been in rapid decline, even before Dirty Dog Broder died (some applauded that event) gets worse by the month with threads ruined by the same posters attacking the same posters about the same 'issues', real keyboard warrior stuff.

I was a moderator there from 2010 till a falling out with DD and his mate Marmite over content, specifically some of them and their cronies multi-nic stirring 'posters' set up purely to prompt 'debate' by being so deliberately offensive/crude/insulting to new members, 'fun', and immune to moderation. It hasn't changed, still posters 'protected' with numerous nics, what's the point?

Thaivisa still has them, a recent Stickman article outed a few.

Desperate times maybe for forums in general. Those Teakdoor stats above, over 500 'just looking'. Question is, what do they want, what would encourage them to join and participate?

Things have moved on maybe, so many sources of information available, 'news items' on a forum practically redundant, I can get it all on my phone or tablet, subscribe to eg Richard Barrow he's often a step ahead of the English language Thai media.

What should a forum offer?
    Last edited by Hatari; 25th April 2016 at 17:22.
    PeteGill likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Forums cost so little to operate and with a small amount of advertising the costs of running a joint can be relatively easily met

LiL over on AI doesn't want ads and pays for the running of that forum out of his own pocket...he reckons US$40-50 a month covers it

Not too many are highly profitable (as a percentage)....most are there just to cover a small like minded online community

i don't think it would be untoward for an owner to ask for a small annual contribution fee though if it meant survival
    Tingtong likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    I wouldn't pay unless I was really passionate about something or if I felt that I had something valuable to add. It would have to be very important to me.

The lack of advertising here is a pleasant change. However, I personally, wouldn't find some useful links obtrusive. I know it's low turnover but is getting payed for clicks an option ?? Maybe something else, good food outlets, transport....
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar

Its a "Business" vs "Hobby" decision as to whether or not the forum owner sees any benefit in kicking in $500-$600 a year, less any income. Most things like this start, then grow, peak, then decline. If this is done in accordance with a preconceived plan, there are less disappointments in the long term. What you set out to do isn't always what you end up with, as NK found out.

As Hatari says, even BM efforts at fair and free moderation can sometimes go unappreciated.
    On the other hand, how do you measure the mutual benefit between BMs from taking part in a worthwhile forum like this?

It's a worth while thing most of the time it's brought many poinient moments good and bad so worth it.
    For those that see no worth in that and would not pay it more about themselves than any thing else.
    I would pay myself if I was on the other side but that's me.
    It interesting to understand others sometimes and no one will be asked to pay so you cheap Charlie's keep your 10 bucks you obviously need it.555555
    Quarky, Sydney, PeteGill and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast