Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Top Universities in the world...

Top Universities in the world...

Cambridge and Oxford are slipping...

Cambridge and Oxford universities slip in world rankings - BBC News

The 10 top institutions by reputation are:

1. Harvard University, US
    2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US
    3. Stanford University, US
    4. University of Cambridge, UK
    5. University of Oxford, UK
    6. University of California, Berkeley, US
    7. Princeton University, US
    8. Yale University, US
    9. Columbia University, US
    10. California Institute of Technology, US

THE rankings editor Phil Baty said the UK had lost ground this year.

"Even the country's most prestigious institutions have slipped, with the universities of Cambridge and Oxford each dropping two places to fourth and fifth place respectively," he said.

"The UK's diminishing performance occurs as institutions in Asia rapidly rise up the table - the continent has 17 representatives, up from 10 last year."

Mr Baty said cuts to higher education funding and a series of immigration measures affecting overseas students were "starting to have an impact" on the UK's global reputation.

"The UK will have to ensure that it can still draw in talent and investment from across the world and it does not lose its position at the heart of higher education's global elite," he added

Dr Wendy Piatt, director general of the Russell Group of leading universities, said the UK had some of the very best universities in the world, but it was "no time to rest on our laurels".

"These rankings can be seen as a warning that the rest of the world is catching up with us and Asian universities, in particular, are snapping at our heels.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Are these ratings reflected in Khaosan Rd prices for fake degrees?
    I'm considering an upgrade on mine...
    Quarky, PeteGill, Bacon and 1 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    You either have to be rich or a genius to get in. That automatically excludes 99.9% of us.

Oh well.. it'll have to be a career in sports for me.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    You either have to be rich or a genius to get in. That automatically excludes 99.9% of us.

Oh well.. it'll have to be a career in sports for me.

Being good at sports can help get you in...

Platinum
    I'm sure that they were higher when the BMs were at University!
    Quarky likes this.

PGC
    How the hell do you empirically rank by reputation. Who has a job called rankings editor. Smells like a slow news day so stick in some made up stories.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGC View Post
    How the hell do you empirically rank by reputation. Who has a job called rankings editor. Smells like a slow news day so stick in some made up stories.
    Isn't that what helps you get a job? Reputation of your University?
    Obviously you need to impress in the interview yourself but the reputation of a top University matters immensely in getting in the door, getting internships, getting into the top tier programs for new hires

It's done every year by Lord Ranking of Ranksible in Rankthemshire...
    Tingtong likes this.

Do I need to point out the 2 best Universities in the world are in Boston? 555

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Isn't that what helps you get a job? Reputation of your University?
    Obviously you need to impress in the interview yourself but the reputation of a top University matters immensely in getting in the door, getting internships, getting into the top tier programs for new hires
    When I went into banking I had a number of interviews before being accepted.

At three of them the interviewers noted my religion!

(you could tell from the schools)

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Increasingly, University educations everywhere are becoming overpriced and overrated and end up being simply a footnote on your cv....
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Do I need to point out the 2 best Universities in the world are in Boston? 555
    Did you attend either?

When I worked in recruitment, many of our top tech clients would only accept graduates with first class degrees from a select group of universities. Getting a CV of one of these graduates was like gold dust... bloody good commissions and high grad salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Increasingly, University educations everywhere are becoming overpriced and overrated and end up being simply a footnote on your cv....
    I actually think it is the complete opposite.......they are needed more than ever
    I could never get my job now with my education that I have

Even moreso if you are graduating from these type of schools
    The top companies in the world are still descending upon these schools to hire...........Google, FB, All the top investment banks
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 6th May 2016 at 01:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Did you attend either?

When I worked in recruitment, many of our top tech clients would only accept graduates with first class degrees from a select group of universities. Getting a CV of one of these graduates was like gold dust... bloody good commissions and high grad salaries.
    I worked at the Gap across the street from Harvard! 555
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    how important do you think it is to have a degree

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    how important do you think it is to have a degree
    I think it depends on your field..........but I don't have a degree and I'd never get even an entry level job in my field these days and even if I graduated from where I went to University, I wouldn't of gotten hired by the 1st firm I worked for...........too competitive
    And it is extremely important in Asia...........most places won't even consider you no matter your experience

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    actually in my opinion a degree only gets you in the door at most sought after joints these days...it's your post grad work, inhouse development, networking and dedication that cements your career

I did post grad work (towards a Phd) at 3 of those Unis listed above...and then went back to another University in London to follow the career I decide to have in my late twenties..so none of that work amounted to a hill of beans for me...555

and then later I decided I needed an MBA to do the actual work I was doing (running a business)....so imo its never too late to follow educational paths and move within or outside of your chosen field
    Last edited by bacwaan; 6th May 2016 at 03:19.
    Changone, Cippy and Hatari like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Schools like the above, the connections you make are lifelong and very lucrative if worked properly.
    jontymate likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Usually they rank by original research, published reasearch in academic (vetted) magazines and the quality of tenured professors. Admissions and professor to student ratio as well.
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    actually in my opinion a degree only gets you in the door at most sought after joints these days...it's your post grad work, inhouse development, networking and dedication that cements your career

I did post grad work (towards a Phd) at 3 of those Unis listed above...and then went back to another University in London to follow the career I decide to have in my late twenties..so none of that work amounted to a hill of beans for me...555

and then later I decided I needed an MBA to do the actual work I was doing (running a business)....so imo its never too late to follow educational paths and move within or outside of your chosen field
    But that is just common sense.....if you are not up to task, you won't do well in your career and the more you educate yourself, the better for your career

But to say that degrees from these Universities are overrated(you didn't) is just factually wrong when the top companies in the world are still recruiting heavily out of those schools

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast