Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RakThai
  • 1 Post By RakThai
  • 1 Post By Cashpoint
  • 1 Post By chelski

Thread: Compression socks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Compression socks

I know some of you old timers use these.

As mentioned before, my wife having issues with circulation in her foot.
    She's been to doctors and waiting for blood tests and other things.

But beyond flying, do compression socks help wearing them from time to time?
    Just on an average day?

Thanks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Yes - but difficult in Thailand due to heat and humidity.
    If she has ongoing swelling, wearing them at night with the leg elevated on a pillow will help.

My Son (tri-athelete) wears them whenever he is sitting at the computer, he says when you are actively on your feet don't wear them.
    Water retention is common when travelling, avoid salty foods, eat banana and potatoes for potassium.
    If at the same time as the swelling one drinks water but seldom urinates then perhaps a trial of Furetic might be in order, I take one in the morning and then a couple of days of half 40mg tablet after I have done long trips or driving many hours, warning you get the urge to p*ss pretty quickly! But of course there are precautions to observe, hi blood pressure being one and many more to read up! I have tried cheap socks but found 1000mile suit me best and can get them in black and not that paste white seen on some olde folk.

I have them in black and dark brown to match my crocs.
    It's the only time I wear socks & crocs I swear - always long pants over.
    Standard ones for flying are 12 mm of Hg - stronger ones 14 or 16.
    Boots Chemists have/will get them here.
    Last edited by Zablive; 30th May 2016 at 14:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Yes - but difficult in Thailand due to heat and humidity.
    If she has ongoing swelling, wearing them at night with the leg elevated on a pillow will help.
    She is in Vancouver
    But, as expected her foot swelled 5x the size on the flight last week.

The doctor seemed to what to check her blood for b12 levels

The pharmacy had them but he said the medical supply store had the real legit ones....will check tomorrow

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I often wonder if iron deficiency is common in TG's I'm sure mine is a bit bruises very easy diet is usual Thai.
    Feet swelling not that I have noticed or she has complained of.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Foot swelling seems to be common in thai. No idea why, but exercise and diet are probably key...
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I know some of you old timers use these.

As mentioned before, my wife having issues with circulation in her foot.
    She's been to doctors and waiting for blood tests and other things.

But beyond flying, do compression socks help wearing them from time to time?
    Just on an average day?

Thanks
    Compression socks help for a wide range of medical conditions, and have little risk or side-effects.
    However, it is not a one size fits all kind of thing, and using inadequate compression socks can aggravate the problem (or just be uncomfortable without any benefit).

And your wife is not an old timer, so first identifying the cause of the problem and then addressing the cause itself should be the way to go...
    jontymate likes this.

So it's an "Old timer" problem Rak? I will delight in telling the mrs that, as all,the ammo has been a bit one sided lately......555

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    So it's an "Old timer" problem Rak? I will delight in telling the mrs that, as all,the ammo has been a bit one sided lately......555
    Point is, it is not one single problem, but a range of problems that can cause swelling of the feet and or the legs..

And many of the underlying conditions are far more prevalent in old timers...
    However, the more rare and serious exceptions occur more in younger people...

Compression socks never treat the underlying cause, only reduce the symptom of the swelling...
    jontymate likes this.

^Thanks Dr Rak, will put it to her more seriously now..

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Point is, it is not one single problem, but a range of problems that can cause swelling of the feet and or the legs..

Compression socks never treat the underlying cause, only reduce the symptom of the swelling...
    Yeah.....the idea for the compression socks is to provide some relief while she waits on results and care for it.
    It really is bothering her

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Yeah.....the idea for the compression socks is to provide some relief while she waits on results and care for it.
    It really is bothering her
    Try a pressure bandage (if you can apply that?)... Easier to get the right pressure on the right spot and adjust the pressure when the swelling goes down..
    Alternative hot / cold baths (2 buckets of water, 1 cold and 1 hot and alternate), elevation and exercise (rotate foot en flex/extend) will help..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post

Elephantiasis - NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders)??
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Platinum
    I have them in black and dark brown to match my crocs.
    It's the only time I wear socks & crocs I swear - always long pants over.
    Standard ones for flying are 12 mm of Hg - stronger ones 14 or 16.
    Boots Chemists have/will get them here.
    This explains why Patong is going to the dogs with no more pretty bar girls around.

All the cashed up expats have now upped their game. They're now dressing up and are simply hovering them up.

Leaving nothing for us two week millionaire LDOPs.
    Quarky likes this.

Cashed up expats - hardly with arse dropping out of the AUD!
    And it's the pretty girls doing the hoovering 555!

How you traveling Cashy?
    Last edited by Zablive; 31st May 2016 at 17:58.

Platinum
    Cashed up expats - hardly with arse dropping out of the AUD!
    And it's the pretty girls doing the hoovering 555!

How you traveling Cashy?
    Working in the Magic Kingdom with little holiday I am afraid and haven't been back to Thailand for over two years now. Am trying to sort out something for this summer but not sure. But it will likely be to Patts. More bang for buck!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    M26, my recent trip to the UK and Phuket, I wore them on the the Perth to KL & back and the KL to London and back legs of my journey. You just wear them like you do a normal pair of socks. The ones I was given in hospital that they let me keep were a bit longer and white, but I bought some from the chemist here that are black. I just wear normal jeans or trousers when I travel, so no one would even know you are wearing them. Most people wear them these days as a safety precaution and there is certainly no stigma attached to wearing them.

Th possibility of getting DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) is the reason that so many people now wear then and also get out of their seats on planes so often to walk up and down the aisles. That is also well recommended to keep the circulation going and reducing the risk of swelling and getting DVT
    All the people you see who travel wearing shorts and/or wear open top shoes with no socks are the ones most likely to suffer problems.

Also what has been mentioned re feet and legs swelling. I was warned by my Dr that especially during extreme heat, I would probably feel my legs and feet swelling due to water retention and to put them up when that happened. I tried doing it on a low table and onto the couch and that really did not make a difference.
    Only thing that would do it for me was to sit on the bed with both my legs level or slightly elevated and I could more or less instantly feel the swelling disappear. When I work at home for 8-9hrs a day, I also get up and walk around every hour or so as a precaution, as what I am doing is the same as you would be doing if sitting on a plane for that length of time.
    To this day in the summer here I can still feel the skin on my legs getting tight, but know where near as bad as when I 1st left hospital.
    Quarky likes this.