Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Back to work after retirement

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Back to work after retirement

Has anyone gone back to work after retired or a long time off work and how did it go?

A few weeks ago a friend was telling me he is struggling with staff so I volunteered to help him out a few days a week until I go away next month. Been about 6 years since I have done the role he needed me to do but im actually enjoying it. Itís a very fast changing industry and good to see so many good changes and some old faces.

Itís been 2.5 years since I worked and since Christmas I been thinking of getting a job. Get a bit board at times and have a feeling of not going anywhere in life. Plus, I seem to spend a little more than my investment provides me. Maybe a bit to do with my obsessive compulsive travel disorder.

I been offered a few jobs over the past few years but all would be stressful long hours type jobs, Iím over that did it far too many years. Really would like something flexible and a few days a week. Would be happy to stay on a few days a week at the place Iím helping out now but its 2.5hours drive each day.

So Iíve made a decision to get back into the workforce.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I took off about a year or a little more

And I actually loved going back to work.

And what may sound weird but it was getting the structure back that I enjoyed.
    I enjoyed having a schedule and really enjoyed looking forward to the weekends.
    I think you will find you enjoy your weekends much more.

I also enjoyed just doing my schedule of things after work.....gym, errands and then relaxing at night.

All that sounds weird but it is what I liked about going back to work
    OZZYGUY likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Most people who retire early go in to some kind of "Consulting" role for the years after albeit part time.
    Usually it suits their new lifestyle better. Not surprised to hear the money draining out faster than it comes in, very common complaint.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I took off about a year or a little more

And I actually loved going back to work.

And what may sound weird but it was getting the structure back that I enjoyed.
    I enjoyed having a schedule and really enjoyed looking forward to the weekends.
    I think you will find you enjoy your weekends much more.

I also enjoyed just doing my schedule of things after work.....gym, errands and then relaxing at night.

All that sounds weird but it is what I liked about going back to work
    Not weird at all and sounds a lot like what's happening.

I'm working Monday to Wednesday so get a four day weekend. Its only for 4 weeks but I have already set my weekly plan for work, MTB and family. I have always been a organised sort of person and sort of lost that with all the free time last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Most people who retire early go in to some kind of "Consulting" role for the years after albeit part time.
    Usually it suits their new lifestyle better. Not surprised to hear the money draining out faster than it comes in, very common complaint.
    I did a little bit of Consulting for awhile but sort of lost interest out of laziness (by me)

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    I'm the opposite.
    The greatest thing for me was retiring and going to a totally unstructured lifestyle.
    But I had done many more years of grind than you guys.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I did a little bit of Consulting for awhile but sort of lost interest out of laziness (by me)

Some do need the structure of a regular job and don't perform well in a self employed role.
    These jobs are shrinking though as less businesses want the responsibility of full time employees.
    By the same token, the casual employment sector is buoyant.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Cadet Gold
    If you have skills to make big bucks I would certainly do the same, but if I didn't have to work, I would be quite content not to. In my job I have every third week off so I'm used to the free time, and I love it
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

Some do need the structure of a regular job and don't perform well in a self employed role.
    These jobs are shrinking though as less businesses want the responsibility of full time employees.
    By the same token, the casual employment sector is buoyant.
    Although I like my job a lot and actually miss the office when I am on a long holiday because I love the guys I work with.

I would definitely love the opportunity to work globally.

And I am looking to transition to setting up something that allows me to do that down the road.

But for now....I enjoy going to the office.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    When i fought for and won my boys I took a year and half off to get us aclimated to the new 'situation...'
    I killed what was left of my bank account...well worth it
    Quarky, Minder and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    i took a year off and discovered that i was way to young to retire..still had far to much i wanted to achieve....back in the saddle again and enjoying it..must add that i only work half days and that i dont have a boss..55555 i am the boss 55555..its not for everybody but its working for me...dont think i could do the 8 to 5 thing thou
    OZZYGUY likes this.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    I had a year off loved it but I also like my job .....robbing from the poor and giving to the rich had its rewards.5555
    Part time sales guy would be my gig or a job share arrangement that seems to be more common.

Quote Originally Posted by meese View Post
    i took a year off and discovered that i was way to young to retire..still had far to much i wanted to achieve....back in the saddle again and enjoying it..must add that i only work half days and that i dont have a boss..55555 i am the boss 55555..its not for everybody but its working for me...dont think i could do the 8 to 5 thing thou
    Although I really like my job.....i realize I take it for granted when I talk to others that work a lot longer hours and have much longer commutes.
    I only work 6am-1pm and I walk 10mins to work.
    Most guys I know in my biz in NYC work 7am-5pm, and commute and hour or so to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    I'm the opposite.
    The greatest thing for me was retiring and going to a totally unstructured lifestyle.
    But I had done many more years of grind than you guys.
    I think that's the thing......I think everyone knows when they are ready to stop working

The idea of it appeals to everyone but you have to know when you are actually ready to stop working......as you did
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I think everyone knows when they are ready to stop working
    I didn't 55

I only had a plan to stop working for a year and back then I was very driven by successes and business, wasn't long and the year turned to two years now another 6 months. Now I'm stress free and have absolutely no drive to work hard and the happiest I have ever been. The last 6 months I have been tossing between accepting that I could just retire now and live cheap or as I'm just short of 50 put in another 10 years.

I haven't worked as an employee since I was in my 20's and have always been self employed since then. I could start a new business or buy one but I feel that small business is to unstable at the moment.

I suppose the issue I'm having is deciding what to do for the next 10 years.

It might not be the right time to throw money at a business in this local.
    Wages is a Far less Risky atm. Gives you a bit of cash flow with no worry of things going south.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

I think your 100% Wabbits. I don't really care what I do to some degree, would even go as low as working for someone like Holden or Ford.

Geezzzz careful one could become morally compremised. 55555
    On that though a guy with a bit of sales skill can still make s quid.
    A mate was part timing it 4 days and making ok money.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I think your 100% Wabbits. I don't really care what I do to some degree, would even go as low as working for someone like Holden or Ford.
    If you've really got something they want, why wouldn't you?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    there are always opportunities and many people find excuses for not taking them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast