Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Loy Khatong.....when do you know when?

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,118

    Loy Khatong.....when do you know when?

    I may need to be in Thailand in November and have never done Loy Khatong
    I know it goes by the Thai Lunar calendar?

    So when do you know when it will actually take place?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,905
    I was just looking at a site that showed public holidays on it and says that in 2016 it is on November 15 (last year was on the 25th apparently)

  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    19,791
    It USED to be great in Chiang Mai until recently and you know who changed things. I always enjoyed the party.

  4. #4
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    It USED to be great in Chiang Mai until recently and you know who changed things. I always enjoyed the party.
    That's where I wanted to go.....
    Ao mentioned Sukothai and although I'd love to see Sukothai I'd prefer all the extras of CM because I thought it was supposed to be really good there

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I may need to be in Thailand in November and have never done Loy Khatong
    I know it goes by the Thai Lunar calendar?

    So when do you know when it will actually take place?

    Thanks
    Can't you just do a google search 555

  6. #6
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nakhon Ratchasima
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,694
    Usually it's around the 2nd or 3rd week of November.
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    867
    I do love that the wiki date source for Loi Krathong 2016 is Guide to Thailand for Adults - BoomBoomMe.com (also the fact that its wrong anyway 555)

  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    Perhaps you are reading the wrong column? 555.
    The consensus for 2016 is November 13-15 - including Boom.Boom.Me ...

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    Can't you just do a google search 555
    Are you sniping at me? 555
    Your friend Google(and mine too! 555) said the 16th but then people on TA were talking about lunar calendar and such
    The 15-16th would work perfect

    so......do people believe it would definitely be the 15-16th?

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Perhaps you are reading the wrong column? 555.
    The consensus for 2016 is November 13-15 - including Boom.Boom.Me ...
    Actually 13-15th isn't bad either.......I'd land in BKK on 12th and head right to CM, come back on 16th and do what I need to do in BKK

    Thanks

  11. #11
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,927
    yeah,it's to do with the moon like ouir easter.
    15th seems to be the day this year.

    my fav festival of them all in LOS.
    quite the spectacle in CM and very peaceful.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    9,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    Can't you just do a google search 555
    He's a dummy...
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    He's a dummy...
    Please don't hurt my feelings......

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Are you sniping at me? 555
    Your friend Google(and mine too! 555) said the 16th but then people on TA were talking about lunar calendar and such
    The 15-16th would work perfect

    so......do people believe it would definitely be the 15-16th?
    That's the problem with google, you need to sort though the misinformation, much like reading books.

    But to Answer your question Loi krathong is the 14th (that's the official full moon)

    Tourist/city areas seem to run Loi krathong for 3 days, 2 days either side of the 14th so 13-15th.

    Up in Nakon Nowhere, my area its only a 1 day thing.

    source for Hatari's benefit: The Krungthai Bank calendar on the wall at home

    or a quick google search.

    สถาบันวิจัยดาราศ สตร์แห่งชาติ(*งค์ การมหาชน) - สดร.เปิดศักราช เน้นคนไทย*ย่าพลา 10 เรื่*ง ดา

    At least the Thai Wiki is correct 555
    https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8...B8%97%E0%B8%87

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    He's a dummy...
    Where is the report a snipe button 555

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    19,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    That's the problem with google, you need to sort though the misinformation, much like reading books.

    But to Answer your question Loi krathong is the 14th (that's the official full moon)

    Tourist/city areas seem to run Loi krathong for 3 days, 2 days either side of the 14th so 13-15th.

    Up in Nakon Nowhere, my area its only a 1 day thing.

    source for Hatari's benefit: The Krungthai Bank calendar on the wall at home

    or a quick google search.

    ส–าšั™วิˆัย”าราศ ส•รŒแหˆ‡Šา•ิ(*‡„Œ การมหาŠ™) - ส”ร.€›ิ”ศักราŠ €™‰™„™„—ย*ยˆาžลา ” 10 €รืˆ*‡ ”า

    At least the Thai Wiki is correct 555
    https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8...B8%97%E0%B8%87
    One more question if you don't
    Do you know about govt office closures? Would they be extended a bunch of days?

    And thanks everyone for the clarification
    CM kind of looks like a zoo........was looking into Sukothai
    But maybe just go to Phuket and celebrate it with the small ceremonies they do

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    One more question if you don't
    Do you know about govt office closures? Would they be extended a bunch of days?

    And thanks everyone for the clarification
    Loi krathong isn't a national holiday, so government offices should be open. There are around here, how effective they are could be debatable, as its a unofficial holiday of sorts.

    But best check where you are going as this may vary.

  18. #18
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Nakhon Ratchasima
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,694
    My school calendar has Loy Kratong falling on the 14th (Monday) this November, which is the night of the full moon. It's not a public holiday, so the school will have either a full day celebration or a half day with a parade and maybe a Miss Loy Kratong pageant and naturally the sending off of the Kratong's as well.

    Should only be the one day, which is the night of the full moon.
    Last edited by Mr. Smiley; 16th August 2016 at 18:23.
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,927
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  20. #20
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    19,791
    Yah, I phoned Pui today and she told me that it started this evening. This will be the first time in 14 years that I will miss it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •