Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Earthquake Off Townsville Aust.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar

Earthquake Off Townsville Aust.

Well I thought we had had all we could from Mother Nature this year, but at 3.25 this afternoon, we had an earthquake, that was felt for 100's of k's away.

The Local paper's website says it was a 5.2 and offshore from us, the ABC says it was a 4 and 30 k off Innasfail north of us.

In the last 4 months weve had several floods, 2 Cyclones and now an Earthquake.

I dare not ask "What's Next?"

And NO Mrs M it's not from this... 5555555

I guess you're a bit shaken up, Mike!

First quake in the region for 70 years is a worry. Northside of Brissie is an old volcanic zone, In wonder if we'll cop one down here.

My theory on all this (not backed by anything reported), is that the earth's magma is running at a much higher temperature than normal - thus causing ocean temps to rise which in turn causes more evaporation=rain, floods in some areas, droughts in others etc. Also, as the magma or 'liquid rock', is so much hotter, say 2,000 deg C as opposed to a mere 1,900C, it expands more to 'push' against areas of earth's crust wherever weakness (low pressure) exists. The Pacific tectonic plate is extremely weak (thin and fractured) on this side of the Pacific - thru NZ, and also Indonesia and Japan. So I guess we can expect a lot more s.h.i.t to come our way, possible major eruptions in Indonesia, quakes in California.... not a pleasant theory to contemplate.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    No Rob I was "Stired, not Shaken" 5555

I see that Christchurch had a 5.2 aftershock hit 18 mins after ours. Poor bugers must be jumpy as by now.

This one here was the second biggest ever for Townsville, in 1913 we had a 5.8

There appears to be no damage at all. It was a bit sureal. There was a loud roar and everything started vibrating, the walls and the slab floor were wobbling ever so slightly. It was like sitting in a massage chair.

At first I thought it was a low flying fighter jet coming too low, and rushed out to see where it was, but there was nothing. When it was happening, I thought "hang on, this is a tremor....nah don't be stupid it will be a low jet".

I am suprised it was 5.4 it didn't feel that much at all. Many people didn't know it happened, especially those in cars.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    No Rob I was "Stired, not Shaken" 5555

I see that Christchurch had a 5.2 aftershock hit 18 mins after ours. Poor bugers must be jumpy as by now.

This one here was the second biggest ever for Townsville, in 1913 we had a 5.8

There appears to be no damage at all. It was a bit sureal. There was a loud roar and everything started vibrating, the walls and the slab floor were wobbling ever so slightly. It was like sitting in a massage chair.

At first I thought it was a low flying fighter jet coming too low, and rushed out to see where it was, but there was nothing. When it was happening, I thought "hang on, this is a tremor....nah don't be stupid it will be a low jet".

I am suprised it was 5.4 it didn't feel that much at all. Many people didn't know it happened, especially those in cars.
    Growing up in the shaky isles small regular shakes is ok its when the pressure builds up we have a problem, re California they ARE expecting a big one..
    Under sea ones we have seen seem to be the most devestating

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Growing up in the shaky isles small regular shakes is ok its when the pressure builds up we have a problem, re California they ARE expecting a big one..
    Under sea ones we have seen seem to be the most devestating
    Undersea subduction cause tsunami's and also raise ocean temps. Less immediate collateral damage (apart from tsunami) but greater climatic effect.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!