Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Why do Europeans smoke so much?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Why do Europeans smoke so much?

This is not a dig, I'm actually curious....

It's so noticeable in Thailand, so many Europeans smoke and it is just so at odds at how it is in North America..

I absolutely despise cigarette smoke but that's beyond the point.

Hasn't their been a push in Europe to make it known smoking is horrible for you and the people around you?
    And do they tax the crap out of cigarettes like they do in North America?

It's so unpleasant.....every restaurant I go to some European is smoking while I'm trying to eat.
    Try to relax by the pool and 75% of the people are smoking

PS......it actually is a dig 555
    It's a filthy, weak minded addiction from people who are usually inconsiderate of others around them!
    Quarky likes this.

Not sure about rest of Europe but smoking in restaurants and crowded public places is tolerated in Greece. Public transport a definite no no.

I gave up cigars [was mainly with a beer in evening] as a condition upon which Jo entertained marriage. Fairly easy choice. 55
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Belgium seemed to be the worst for me.
    go to a bar and it's all closed up as it's cold outside and most inside are smoking!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

As I said.....I was taking a shot at smokers 555

But I am genuinely curious too.......there has been such an anti-amoking push in North America it's hardly noticeable.

Still more so back East in NYC than out West but still not bothersome.

I don't think you can smoke on outdoor dining areas in US/Canada

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Don't know when you guys have last been to Europe, but I do not know any restaurant or bar where you can still smoke...

As for why you see all the smokers in Thailand? They are refugees! 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    They definitely do smoke more than North Americans or Australians. And I've noticed they mostly smoke reds as well. Which would be the cigarette equivalent of eating McDonald's everyday. Hell, what I smoke is like a breath of fresh air compared to say Marlboro reds. That stuff puts me on my ass after three buffs.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Eastern Europeans smoke way more than the English... who still seem to smoke more than North Americans and NZs/ Australians. Not sure about Western Europe.. as not been for a few years...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    They definitely do smoke more than North Americans or Australians. And I've noticed they mostly smoke reds as well. Which would be the cigarette equivalent of eating McDonald's everyday. Hell, what I smoke is like a breath of fresh air compared to say Marlboro reds. That stuff puts me on my ass after three buffs.
    By the way , I don't smoking in an outside patio bar.......it's a bar and I dont think it's out of line to put up with it.
    I'd prefer not to.

But hate it when trying to eat

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    By the way , I don't smoking in an outside patio bar.......it's a bar and I dont think it's out of line to put up with it.
    I'd prefer not to.

But hate it when trying to eat
    Bars are different. Most smokers tend to smoke far more when drinking. It adds so much more pleasure. So if I'm allowed, I'll smoke.

But in Thailand I tend to get up from my table in a restaurant and step aside or outside for a smoke. Depending on the setting. In some places there's no point as it's either too open or everyone else is smoking anyway.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Some smokers are the most selfish cnuts around....
    Minder and Tingtong like this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Bars are different. Most smokers tend to smoke far more when drinking. It adds so much more pleasure. So if I'm allowed, I'll smoke.

But in Thailand I tend to get up from my table in a restaurant and step aside or outside for a smoke. Depending on the setting. In some places there's no point as it's either too open or everyone else is smoking anyway.
    Actually that's where I disagree a bit and maybe give you a bit of insight.
    And maybe I am super sensitive but even in an open place like this I immediately feel it is my chest when someone smokes.

Again......if it's a bar and not a restaurant, I think it's ok.....models with it.
    But any place that is eating.....even as open as this, it ruins my lunch/dinner I paid good money for
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cuzzy likes this.

Platinum
    Couldn't get over the huge amount of smokers in Germanyrecently and how inconsiderate they are.
    The price of cigarettes seemed very cheap too was it 6 euro's?

The smoking thing is over surely now, does anyone think it sexy?

Actually that's where I disagree a bit and maybe give you a bit of insight.
    And maybe I am super sensitive but even in an open place like this I immediately feel it is my chest when someone smokes.

Again......if it's a bar and not a restaurant, I think it's ok.....models with it.
    But any place that is eating.....even as open as this, it ruins my lunch/dinner I paid good money for
    Sometimes, groups of people come to places like that. Start moving furniture like they own the place, take away seat from your tables, etc.
    Or parents with children. Children start running around and yelling, while another one is crying in it's sleeper. And when the parents finally take the baby out, they will start changing a dirty nappy right in front of you...

Still no one screams abuse, infringement or selfish cnuts.. Strange...
    Cuzzy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Sometimes, groups of people come to places like that. Start moving furniture like they own the place, take away seat from your tables, etc.
    Or parents with children. Children start running around and yelling, while another one is crying in it's sleeper. And when the parents finally take the baby out, they will start changing a dirty nappy right in front of you...

Still no one screams abuse, infringement or selfish cnuts.. Strange...
    Sure it's inconsiderate but it doesn't actually have an effect on your breathing
    Cuzzy likes this.

Sure it's inconsiderate but it doesn't actually have an effect on your breathing
    Smoking more than a few meters away does not (usually) affect anyone's breathing. Anyway, that is not the intention of the one smoking. If it bothers you that much, surely anyone is willing to move over to the other side with their cigarette.

What I mean to say is that people naturally bother other people when in crowded area's. As before, that is not the intention, but a side effect.

Now what you don't understand or want to see, is how much smokers have had to give up in a social sense.
    20 years ago, you could smoke in trains, airplanes, restaurants, museums, theater, cinema, bars, schools, etc., etc.
    Now I don't say this was all good and social, but fact is this was reality.

Now, there is hardly any place left where you can smoke. The only exception is outside area's of some bars and restaurants.

For me, while I worked my way through university in bars and restaurants, I never go out anymore. Just no point in overpaying ridiculous for food and drinks and not able to enjoy it.
    But in summer, when the weather is nice, I just might.. My one time out in a year..!

Or when I am in Thailand, though the witch-hunt has firmly invaded cultural tolerance..
    For me, when a table has an ash-tray, I am allowed to smoke. If no ash-tray, I mostly just pass, or if with people, I will ask..
    I do not wish to infringe, and even more I do not want to cause physical complaints to anyone.

So do yourself a favor and avoid places with ash-trays.. Sure the world is big enough for well-willing people to not bother each other and all live happily?
    Petter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Smoking more than a few meters away does not (usually) affect anyone's breathing. Anyway, that is not the intention of the one smoking. If it bothers you that much, surely anyone is willing to move over to the other side with their cigarette.

What I mean to say is that people naturally bother other people when in crowded area's. As before, that is not the intention, but a side effect.

Now what you don't understand or want to see, is how much smokers have had to give up in a social sense.
    20 years ago, you could smoke in trains, airplanes, restaurants, museums, theater, cinema, bars, schools, etc., etc.
    Now I don't say this was all good and social, but fact is this was reality.

Now, there is hardly any place left where you can smoke. The only exception is outside area's of some bars and restaurants.

For me, while I worked my way through university in bars and restaurants, I never go out anymore. Just no point in overpaying ridiculous for food and drinks and not able to enjoy it.
    But in summer, when the weather is nice, I just might.. My one time out in a year..!

Or when I am in Thailand, though the witch-hunt has firmly invaded cultural tolerance..
    For me, when a table has an ash-tray, I am allowed to smoke. If no ash-tray, I mostly just pass, or if with people, I will ask..
    I do not wish to infringe, and even more I do not want to cause physical complaints to anyone.

So do yourself a favor and avoid places with ash-trays.. Sure the world is big enough for well-willing people to not bother each other and all live happily?
    It's a disgusting filthy habit that impedes on others.
    Smokers should have absolutely zero rights.....

Name another addiction that is allowed to be partaken freely in public???
    So because a smoker has an addiction, non-smokers need to breath cigarette smoke

And you are likely not a non-smokersl if you think smoke doesn't affect people a few metres away
    It certainly does
    Quarky and Tingtong like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    If you think Europeans smoke a lot try going somewhere in the UAE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    I am a non smoker but I find some of the rules regarding smoking in public spaces laughable. In some pubs in the UK there are more people stood outside smoking with their drinks than people inside. In some hospitals you find people wandering around the main entrance in the dressing gowns with their cigarettes. I work in a busy diesel locomotive workshop and smokers have to walk 20 metres outside for their pleasure even though the sheds are sometimes full of fumes.555

It's a disgusting filthy habit that impedes on others.
    Smokers should have absolutely zero rights.....

Name another addiction that is allowed to be partaken freely in public???
    So because a smoker has an addiction, non-smokers need to breath cigarette smoke

And you are likely not a non-smokersl if you think smoke doesn't affect people a few metres away
    It certainly does
    I was a bit harsh there......I apologize.

But I honestly don't think smokers can talk about their rights because there really is no other addiction that is allowed to openly impose on other people.

Some would say drunk people, and for sure they can be a nuisance and even dangerous where smokers aren't a physical danger
    But public drinking is also illegal......smoking in a lot of public places is not

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    If you think Europeans smoke a lot try going somewhere in the UAE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote a lot of Asians also.
    I watched a documentary where the big tabacco companies are focusing on places like Malaysia rather than the west
    Cuzzy likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast