The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Merry Christmas One and All

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    ^Or just sell Halal KFC at a premium rate to cover the extra costs?

Sounds kosher to me...
    Doing a quick google check on the subject... They have asked if Halal Chicken be made available. Simple solution, use dedicated outlets. a couple of shops in the big Cities should be fine. Similar to any request for Kosher...

When you factor in visitors as well as locals I am sure that it is not too unreasonable a request?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Doing a quick google check on the subject... They have asked if Halal Chicken be made available. Simple solution, use dedicated outlets. a couple of shops in the big Cities should be fine. Similar to any request for Kosher...

When you factor in visitors as well as locals I am sure that it is not too unreasonable a request?
    Would they need separate outlets? Is halal chicken not allowed on the same premises as non-halal?
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Would they need separate outlets? Is halal chicken not allowed on the same premises as non-halal?
    As far as I know it would be the same shop but just selling halal. They do that here, no biggie. Your choice to buy there or walk another block down the road.
    We have a sizable Muslim population here in CT, so most fast food places are halal. Really nobody even notices.

Aside from the odd Islamophobic 555
    Distantpeak and Distantpeak like this.

^Or just sell Halal KFC at a premium rate to cover the extra costs?

Sounds kosher to me...
    55 And how would anyone know which was which ... LOL, dye the Halal chicken red perhaps?

KFC NZ had trialled the concept some years ago and there was little uptake.
    Distantpeak likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post
    Christmas is about sharing with the less fortunate people. Christmas is time to reflect upon yourself and think about all the things you've done, and all the things you are doing, and look into where you will be in the future, if you continue to be the way you are and way you've been. Scrooge went through all that and returned as a better man. More, loving man. He shared with the people around him and he found peace in his life. He looked back at his past, studied his present, and foresaw his future. And made changes to change his fate.

I don't remember the details of the story but, I remember it was a good story. I think everyone should play the role of Scrooge at least once in their lives. It will teach quite a good lesson.

Oh, by the way, merry Christmas everyone!
    Xmas to me is taking a breath from the year...............even though I am busy as all hell every year when I go back to Boston
    But all I care is to hang out with real close friends and family

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Xmas to me is taking a breath from the year...............even though I am busy as all hell every year when I go back to Boston
    But all I care is to hang out with real close friends and family
    Great to hear that you got your friends and family to hang around with during Christmas. I miss that atmosphere. I used to have a circle of Christian friends but now we're all apart.

Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post
    Great to hear that you got your friends and family to hang around with during Christmas. I miss that atmosphere. I used to have a circle of Christian friends but now we're all apart.
    Christmas Eve at my cousin Joanne's is close to 70 people!

My wife's head was spinning her 1st Christmas in Boston

Then to my best friends mom's house after which I've been going to for 25 years
    Another 40 so people

We don't do small around the holidays 5555

I've spent 2 Christmas in Thailand and was miserable
    I didn't like that it was hot when in my mind it should be cold.

Bangkok isn't bad for Xmas.....lots of decorations and the buffets are spirited.
    We stayed at Four Seasons one year and over by there was very festive

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I love Xmas in Thailand as it is usually so low key...(never really did like the frantic fuss in the west)...I normally head over to Phuket and do the Dodger/Bernie get together but this year I have 2 of my besties (brothers) from AUS here with their families so I have promised to hang about and spend time with them...we'll proably do a dinner in their very nice villa

I'll also attend a Xmas party at my 2 Irish Mate's Hostel right on the beach down near Baan Hua Thanon later that night...I imagine that this will be a very boozy affair...lots of Jamieson's Irish Whiskey and drunk Irishmen with their TG wives looking up at them smiling...555

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I love Xmas in Thailand as it is usually so low key...(never really did like the frantic fuss in the west)...I normally head over to Phuket and do the Dodger/Bernie get together but this year I have 2 of my besties (brothers) from AUS here with their families so I have promised to hang about and spend time with them...we'll proably do a dinner in their very nice villa

I'll also attend a Xmas party at my 2 Irish Mate's Hostel right on the beach down near Baan Hua Thanon later that night...I imagine that this will be a very boozy affair...lots of Jamieson's Irish Whiskey and drunk Irishmen with their TG wives looking up at them smiling...555
    I think Dodger does a great job with that party
    It was one of the saving graces of making the mistake(for me) of being in Phuket for Xmas
    Again nothing negative towards Phuket.....I just want to be home

But one thing I found ridiculous, and I am sure I will be in the minority, was having Thai food for the TG's
    It just felt like treating them like frigging children, IMO

They are celebrating our holiday and our customs......they should at least try and show they actually want to participate

I'd never suggest eating "my food" at anyone else's holiday party

I'm sure people will have negative reactions to that take.....but man, sometimes guys treat and pander to these TG's like they are children

My late mother used to do the 'traditional' Xmas meal. Turkey, ham and all of that. But for a long time now we have celebrated with a braai (BBQ) Honestly I don't miss the old style Xmas one bit.

Weather has a lot to do with it, we are mid summer here (It is topping off at 39c here today) So going the big meal way is just plain uncomfortable, rather some nice meat off the braai, a cold salad or three. A nice cold desert right out of the fridge and plenty of Ice cold castle lites 555

I can see the attraction of the old traditions, but to me you eat what you like and what suits the location, not what tradition dictates.

Kind of like the farang who insist on a traditional English breakfast in LOS 555

PS Not being negative, just a differing view.
    GGrass likes this.

I like nothing better than being at an airport on Christmas Day... it's so relaxed and everyone seems happy... best day to travel I find... and I have done it a lot... arriving Christmas morning in NZ is a treat...
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I think I mentioned it before, but my mother always ruined Christmas for us. She went to so much effort to make everything "perfect" that everyone was tense tying to stay on their best behavior and not say anything negative. We much preferred Boxing Day where we could relax and do anything we wanted.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I think Dodger does a great job with that party
    It was one of the saving graces of making the mistake(for me) of being in Phuket for Xmas
    Again nothing negative towards Phuket.....I just want to be home

But one thing I found ridiculous, and I am sure I will be in the minority, was having Thai food for the TG's
    It just felt like treating them like frigging children, IMO

They are celebrating our holiday and our customs......they should at least try and show they actually want to participate

I'd never suggest eating "my food" at anyone else's holiday party

I'm sure people will have negative reactions to that take.....but man, sometimes guys treat and pander to these TG's like they are children
    It was meant to be there as an option only for those who couldn't/wouldn't eat the traditional turkey/roast style meal...as far as I can remember most of the TGs would have the traditional western meal....especialy now, 10 years on, most have jumped that hurdle...but not all

I remember taking my friend Nid along one year...she absolutely loved the turkey roast and ate hers plus most of mine...I introduced her to fine red wines that year as well...BIG Mistake...555
    Last edited by bacwaan; 7th December 2017 at 19:00.

My late mother used to do the 'traditional' Xmas meal. Turkey, ham and all of that. But for a long time now we have celebrated with a braai (BBQ) Honestly I don't miss the old style Xmas one bit.

Weather has a lot to do with it, we are mid summer here (It is topping off at 39c here today) So going the big meal way is just plain uncomfortable, rather some nice meat off the braai, a cold salad or three. A nice cold desert right out of the fridge and plenty of Ice cold castle lites 555

I can see the attraction of the old traditions, but to me you eat what you like and what suits the location, not what tradition dictates.

Kind of like the farang who insist on a traditional English breakfast in LOS 555

PS Not being negative, just a differing view.
    I don't think thats an apt comparison
    What somewhat chooses to eat for breakfast vs holiday tradition

Although I prefer a Thai breakfast myself

I like nothing better than being at an airport on Christmas Day... it's so relaxed and everyone seems happy... best day to travel I find... and I have done it a lot... arriving Christmas morning in NZ is a treat...
    I agree with you 100% and why I don't mind flying back on Christmas night so they I can work Boxing Day so my guys can take off

As you said.....it's quiet and everyone is in a good mood

I've done it tons also.
    My ex-gf was from Brooklyn and we both come from families that wouldn't be ok with us missing Xmas(we were younger)
    So I always flew back to NYC around 5-6pm Xmas night and went to her house
    Distantpeak likes this.

It was meant to be there as an option only for those who couldn't/wouldn't eat the traditional turkey/roast style meal...as far as I can remember most of the TGs would have the traditional western meal....especialy now, 10 years on, most have jumped that hurdle...but not all

I remember taking my friend Nid along one year...she absolutely loved the turkey roast and ate hers plus most of mine...I introduced her to fine red wines that year as well...BIG Mistake...555
    You guys sat with me and Sefton I believe

One year we stayed here in Vancouver and was nicely invited to my colleauges house
    His in-laws are Scandanavian and the food wss so frigging heavy

Ao and I both ate it, of course
    Then after a few minutes on the drive home she said shyly
    "I don't like that food"
    I said me either!!!
    bacwaan likes this.

We have hosted a bunch of holidays here in Vancouver and a lot of Thais come that obviously don't have anywhere to go for the holiday
    And they devour my turkey and pretty much anything I make

But the 1st time I cooked all day and Ao's two chef friends walk in with all Thai ingredients to cook

To say I was pissed would be an understatement
    Well......that was for after dinner

They ate all my food.....then took a break and then cooked a huge Thai feast a fee hours later

I don't think thats an apt comparison

But that is the point I was trying to make, my holiday tradition and your holiday tradition are not the same. Really not in to the whole turkey and hot pudding thing. I may have a little but would rather have my braai... Especially in a hot climate.

I know two sets of friends who have been over to Thailand at least three times. They eat the hotel buffet breakfast and then only frequent the well known international fast food joints the rest of the time. Or their hotel restaurant. Well I think that they are missing out on an important experience, but hey it's their life.

So I think it is a bit of a non issue.

555 I did say traditional English breakfast

But that is the point I was trying to make, my holiday tradition and your holiday tradition are not the same. Really not in to the whole turkey and hot pudding thing. I may have a little but would rather have my braai... Especially in a hot climate.

I know two sets of friends who have been over to Thailand at least three times. They eat the hotel buffet breakfast and then only frequent the well known international fast food joints the rest of the time. Or their hotel restaurant. Well I think that they are missing out on an important experience, but hey it's their life.

So I think it is a bit of a non issue.
    But there is still traditional meals, regardless of what they are........and it's certainly not a Thai kid's meal 5555

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast