Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Who reads newspapers?

Who reads newspapers?

Make a start with a report from Thailand on the state of their print media

THAILAND’S DEVASTATING YEAR FOR PRINT WAS A WAKE-UP CALL. ADAPT OR DIE.
    January 8, 2017

BANGKOK — The end of 2016 brought the final run of a 45-year-old daily newspaper, capping a punishing year for print media.

Driven by plummeting advertising revenues, the global print decline caught up with Thailand’s publishers, the largest of which have begun taking drastic measures in response to large losses to avoid the fate of Baan Muang, which ceased production New Year’s Day.

According to The Nielsen Co., a leading global data measurement company, the Thai newspaper industry’s advertising revenues have declined continuously since 2013. What stood at 15.4 billion baht in 2006 had fallen to 12.3 billion baht in 2015. Advertising budgeted 20.1 percent less for newspaper buys in the first 11 months of 2016 compared to the same period in 2015, down to 8.89 billion baht.

The Matichon Group of newspapers, which includes Khaosod English, registered a loss of 86 million baht by the end of the third quarter, according to reports filed with the Stock Exchange of Thailand, or SET.

In that same period, SET-listed Post Publishing Co., publisher Bangkok Post, Post Today and M2F newspapers, returned from the red under austerity measures to eke out a modest profit of 450,000 baht compared to a 42.1 million baht loss in 2015.

Matichon Group has also imposed hiring freezes and offered early retirement to some senior personnel, whose positions were left vacant. Cost reductions include saving water and electricity costs. The number of newspaper pages has also been reduced. Talk of launching Khaosod English as a print product were shelved due to market conditions.

At Thai Rath, the kingdom’s largest-circulation newspaper, cost-cutting measures have included pooling office vehicles on duty and reducing the use of paper in the office. Annual bonuses there have also been reduced from six months to three months.

Shrinking advertising income, downsizing, smaller papers, early retirement, hiring freezes the disappearing newsstands have become the norm in the terminally newspaper industry. Experts and journalists agree the physical newspaper is in terminal decline as an industry, but differ on what that means for society, however.

Mana Treelayapewat, dean at the School of Communication Arts at University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said print became a sunset industry many years ago when even the best-selling papers began to see declining sales.

“Nobody is paying,” the 50-year-old dean said, adding that consumers have moved online and confessing he hardly buys newspapers any longer.

People 30 or under hardly read any physical newspapers any longer, Mana added.

“It was different 10 or 20 years ago when people would still buy papers, say to check the football results,” he said.

In Thailand, I get the Bangkok Post on Sundays, shop holds a copy for me (they get just two), despite internet access, old habits I guess I'll often go to a cafe, coffee and cake and go thru the sports section, save the crosswords and Sudoku for later

When in NZ, never buy, but cafes often have copies of a daily, I'll browse through that. Not every article goes online, yesterday in the careers section a feature I was interested in, but doesn't appear in the online site...same with articles in the motoring supplement magazine, only two of the main stories were online

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I am/was a newspaper junkie.
    My whole family is....
    My mom used to have to buy 2 copies of both Boston newspapers because we'd all want to read them when we woke up.
    "Ma, where's the papers" was heard all morning in our house.

When I moved to NYC I'd pay 2usd for each Boston newspaper, then read all 3 NYC papers.

I used to pay 13cad for The Sunday New York Times but I am 100% online now.

I do miss the actual print though.

And beyond stories not being online, I think you tend to read more articles when reading the print version because they catch your eye more than the online version.

I held out a long time, I was a die-hard print newspaper and real book guy
    But now Kindle and online news for me

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    In Thailand, I get the Bangkok Post on Sundays, shop holds a copy for me (they get just two), despite internet access, old habits I guess I'll often go to a cafe, coffee and cake and go thru the sports section, save the crosswords and Sudoku for later

When in NZ, never buy, but cafes often have copies of a daily, I'll browse through that. Not every article goes online, yesterday in the careers section a feature I was interested in, but doesn't appear in the online site...same with articles in the motoring supplement magazine, only two of the main stories were online
    NZHerald online is a great resource for local, business and World news ... and it's free. Paper circulation is still strong and journalism of a high calibre.

In Aus the trend toward paid subscription appears to be in jeopardy as journalism quality is poor (outside of SMH and The Australian) and paper copy is more useful for cleaning windows. Regional rags such as Gold Coast Bulletin online is attempting to go subscription only with little success. Driving online readers away doesn't help advertising revenue.
    wabbits and Changone like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

One other tidbit

I find that news mobile sites are better than their online sites.
    The mobile sites are nicely streamlined and laid out whereas online sites tend to be to cluttered, IMO

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I honestly haven't bought a paper for years and years...

'Plenty of decent online sources to gather your news...
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Newspapers have become an anachronism. That being said, I really don't care if Rupert Murdoch feels let down...555
    You see middle aged guys with glasses in Macdonalds or the local library where they still go to indulge their well thumbed "Free" copy. Saturday paper here costs $3.20 I think, and it's 90% commercials.
    Regarding "Online" versions like the Australian and Sydney morning herald, I personally despise "Paywalls", and fail to see why newspapers can't pay journalists a decent wage from all their commercial revenue without passing around the hat after the first few words of an article, which is almost always available for free elsewhere.
    Add to that the need to read widely to avoid blatant editorial bias....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    I collect the free local rag from one of the many shops in town that distribute it now and again but mainly in winter. I use it to start the fire in my Heater.
    Changone likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    ^And you can always stick the pages on the Windows until the curtains are up....

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Our Saturday paper costs $2.70........I buy it every week for a combination of reasons. .......it has a good motoring section, a big Business section, lots of current news, lots of advertising which I browse through and a great real estate section. It stays on my kitchen table for a week to read 555.......and then its partly used to clean windows and mirrors and its best use........sits on my lap when I have my weekly Fish & Chips so I don't burn my legs 555
    Changone likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    ^And you can always stick the pages on the Windows until the curtains are up....
    The curtains will be up in six weeks time. YESSSS!
    Didn't even think to paper them over, good idea though, gives a new meaning to reading in bed...
    Changone likes this.

I buy one publication a fortnight @ $7.95. Australian Motorcycle News. Even that has six pages of advertising before you have something to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Newspapers have become an anachronism. That being said, I really don't care if Rupert Murdoch feels let down...555
    You see middle aged guys with glasses in Macdonalds or the local library where they still go to indulge their well thumbed "Free" copy. Saturday paper here costs $3.20 I think, and it's 90% commercials.
    Regarding "Online" versions like the Australian and Sydney morning herald, I personally despise "Paywalls", and fail to see why newspapers can't pay journalists a decent wage from all their commercial revenue without passing around the hat after the first few words of an article, which is almost always available for free elsewhere.
    Add to that the need to read widely to avoid blatant editorial bias....
    I would imagine their budget isn't covered by online ad revenue, which is a pittance to what ad revenue used to be.

I appreciate the service they provide and gladly pay for publications I value.

As I tell some of my customers who constantly try and knock their commission down.
    I need to pay for the lights and won't be here for you if you don't want to pay for service

We all expect to be paid for the services we provide in our jobs and a news organization has a fairly large staff to keep it running

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    For AUS and world news I read the Guardian Online (AUS publication) it is free....I also skim through pick up/bits and pieces from The Sydney Morning Herald each day but they have a 20 article limit per month....strangely The Canberra Times (same ownership/syndicate) has most of the same articles posted on it for free so I read the articles I want there

I also look at The BKK Post online plus the Samui Times (weekly) for local stuff but more and more local stuff from local FB pages...

When I am back in AUS I will buy The Sydney Morning Herald in print (especially on Saturdays) and occasionally read through a BKK Post or local rag in a restaurant here...I really don't there will be printed newspapers in 20 years time...maybe even 10

I also like to watch the news cycles on The BBC, AJ, Bloomberg, EuroNews and occasionally FAUX...we don;t get CNN here or I'd probably watch a bit of that as well
    Last edited by bacwaan; 22nd January 2017 at 14:52.

So it seems Saturday is your big newspaper day?
    Same in Canada

The US is Sundays, which I prefer.
    Always busy on Saturdays with errands and such....

Sundays is lazing around, going to brunch and reading the papers

yeah....quality Saturday papers in AUS are broadsheet and are usually more magazine style than just the straight weekday news...with several supplements like a "Domain" section on housing/design/style, a Fashion section, Business, Motoring, colour magazine etc etc, plus its the biggest day for classifieds...

I don't even bother picking up the classified section...way too heavy...and there is already enough reading for a week with the rest

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    yeah.......I don't even bother picking up the classified section...way too heavy...and there is already enough reading for a week with the rest

Things have changed since you were in Oz Nels 555...............classifieds are now at a minimum. ..........now you have to Gumtree or Car Sales for classifieds
    bacwaan likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

^ 555..well it has been a couple of years now I guess...I just looked it up and the latest SMH Saturday edition circulation figures shows just over 100K down from over 1m in 2011...that's one rapid demise

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    In Canada I go to a local hotel coffee shop that provides a morning newspaper. I chat with the few early bird customers and take an hour reading the paper.

I let you guys supply with the news while I'm in Thailand. You all seem to have a wide variety of opinions on the same item. 555

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    yeah....quality Saturday papers in AUS are broadsheet and are usually more magazine style than just the straight weekday news...with several supplements like a "Domain" section on housing/design/style, a Fashion section, Business, Motoring, colour magazine etc etc, plus its the biggest day for classifieds...

I don't even bother picking up the classified section...way too heavy...and there is already enough reading for a week with the rest
    Yeah, that's the Sunday papers in US/Saturday in Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast