Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Your first trip to Asia

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Your first trip to Asia

Do you remember your first trip to SEA ? The sounds, food, smells, friendly people and the girls.

Where did you go, when was it, Why did you go

Nothing is like your first time.
    I have a single buddy that is coming with us in a few weeks, he 54 has never been to Asia.

Our first two nights are in Bangkok its going to be interesting to see how he goes. He was to return back to Oz after two weeks in LOS but he just messaged me said he booked flights to come to the Philippines with me after LOS.

So for his first trip the lucky bugger gets to see LOS and the Phils.
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 4th March 2017 at 15:29.
    Bacon likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    iirc I was about 9 years old...we stopped in Bangkok on a stopover heading from Sydney to London...back then you had a stop in Darwin and another one in the middle east before arriving about 3 days later 555

I remember the floating markets, a cultural show which I think was called the Rose Garden and my dad taking me out at night to the MT Boxing at Lumphini Park and then markets and a RLD...not sure if this was Patpong or not....what I do remember was my Dad being offered money for me by the working gals there...and him teasing me about it...555

I fell in love with the exotic nature of the place and have never waned since...always promised myself that I would live here one day...and I was good to my word
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    There is nothing as different to our culture as Asia is, IMO.

You are right that nothing beats the 1st time but now been 20+ times in the still snacks me in the face like no other place.

I've been going to Latin America in the last 4-6 years and definitely enjoy it but it's not as different as Asia is.

I won't go into huge detail about my 1st trip because most of us felt the same.

But I was supposed to go to Thailand with an experienced Thai traveler.
    I booked and paid for my flight and he cancelled the week before.
    I remember having a beer and some food at JFK airport checking in and being a bit scared out of my mind. Looking back it's a bit silly I was so worried.

One other thing that sticks out, always, was I landed at night.
    Stayed at The Westin on Sukhumvit.
    I honestly didn't know much about the scene in BkK and just wanted to get my wits about me.
    So I had 3 or 4 drinks at the hotel bar. And listened to this awesome American black girl sing with the piano.

I always find this stillness in the air when it big, luxury hotels in Asia. Like a thickness.
    And that stands out.

It was also when I started to make some pretty good money.
    So just sitting at that hotel bar, coming from where I come from, literally being one of the only people I grew up with that probably has been to Asia.

It was exciting.

I think maybe Africa will be like that? I can't think of anywhere else that will be
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 4th March 2017 at 17:06.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

^Ozzy.. are you Olympus in disguise? ..55

Singapore was my first experience.... and it seemed pretty Western... Thailand felt less so... but nothing of the culture shock compared to countries in the Middle East... 55

Bangkok in 2006 was exciting the moment I left the airport... I think it's one of the most unintimidating places I have been to... the sort of place that made me feel the same as Disneyland did the first time I saw it... 55
    Last edited by Quarky; 13th March 2017 at 09:54.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post

5555 .. the word contiguous springs to mind, and not just ozzy .. i am having trouble keeping up with it all, and can't even get back to my kids thread with a update ... have much to add from 2 countries

19th Dec 1992 aged 26 ... touch down in BKK .... back then there was a thing called culture shock ... i got it for my first 2 days .. dont think the modern kids of these days travelling get that anymore due to the internet, FB, etc knowledge base ... smaller world in 2017 makes for less culture IMO ..
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Nope he can spell a lot better than me...............55
    Quarky and Sydney like this.

My first trip was when I was 23. It was my honey moon with wife #1.

She was Malay / Indian mix born in KL so she was really looking forward to going to a Asian country and the food as she had been in Perth since she was 2 years old and never left.

We arrived and she hatted it, nothing but complaining about the smell, the way they drove, the people trying to sell stuff on the street, drunken aussies in the bars it wasn't my best trip. We stayed about 4 days of the 2 weeks booked and she wanted to go back to Perth. We never travelled again after that trip.

My trips these days are much better.......55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    a cultural show which I think was called the Rose Garden
    i went there during songkran 2003,my first time in LOS. the show was good it's out at nakhom pathom.
    bacwaan likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Singapore was my first experience.... and it seemed pretty Western... Thailand felt less so... but nothing of the culture shock compared to countries in the Middle East... 55

Bangkok was exciting the moment I left the airport... I think it's one of the most unintimidating places I have been to... the sort of place that made me feel the same as Disneyland did the first time I saw it... 55
    Actually great call.

The Middle East would be a huge culture shock and somewhere I really want to go

Maybe next year for one of my trips
    Quarky likes this.

First time I came to Phuket in 1993 whit a charter group when I come to my hotel I found out I got wrong suitcase. Have to walk around with my black jeans and shoes before my room where ready and my suitcase turn up.

Skickat från min SM-J510FN via Tapatalk
    bacwaan and Bacon like this.

First trip, stopover at Suvarnabhumi about 2hrs ("oh yes, I've been to Bangkok..") got to Phuket about midnight or later, had booked a air/accommodation trip, there was a driver waiting to take me to Thavorn Palms Resort at Karon Beach - 10 nights which I extended to 21
    First morning woke to this view from the balcony

An improvement on the NZ winter I had left a day before
    Quarky, Sydney and bacwaan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Actually great call.

so glad to get out of Cairo alive. loved seeing the sites there and around hugharda but would never go back after the way they treated us....especially my Ukranian GF.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 5th March 2017 at 08:41.

Actually great call.

Been 3 times never again its a shit hole, as far as culture goes a lot of Indians just go to India.
    peteman likes this.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    1st trip was to Patong . A mate asked to go with him to somewhere and we didnt know where , just had to be out of Australia to avoid all his mates sticking it to him on his 50th . We ended up in Patong .
    he ended up sick for 3 of the 7 days we were there , but still had a ball . I knew about the P4P scene but didn't indulge until last 2 nights .My mate didn't , and when i explained it to him , he still didn't want to part take as he wasn't into Asians . However he did confess , that if we had stayed another few nights or he hadn't been sick for 3 days , he probably would have been tempted. Did all the touristy things first and also booked a game fishing trip on a boat that we chartered by ourselves. That was awesome ! We got into a few Sailfish and had a ball . The girl I met on that trip , i was back 3 months later to see again lol .
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    !qq!

Cadet silver
    10 days with 2 x friends back in 2010.

Phuket was the destination. Staying at the rather nice Katathani hotel.

Did the usual touristy/first timer things. Beaches. Jungle trek. Temples. Monkeys/Elephants. Day trips by boats to various islands (James Bond/The Beach). Driven around all day visiting various sites in Phuket Town.

Only popped over to Patong on one evening. Bit of an eye opener to say the least but the 3 of us (2 guys/1girl) were on our best behaviour that time. I put that right on my 2nd visit though. 555

All 3 of us had a great time. Beautiful locations. Great weather. Uber friendly people. I'm the only one who's been back (though one friend did go backpacking in Vietnam) since, back in 2012.

Very much looking forward to my 3rd visit in a month.

PS. Will never forget the time at Suvarnabhumi airport. Walking through the airport then stepped outside for the first time (to get a bus ride to the next plane). All 3 of us just looked at each other and laughed, as the blast of heat nearly ripped our faces off 555
    Last edited by chiefbrody; 13th March 2017 at 09:40.
    Bacon likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    My first, Bali 1988, surfing trip which turned into a drinking trip right from the get go....I went with 2 mates , one long time school friend and the other was the local bar fly from our local Pub (Viking pub, Infamous for the Milperra bikie massacre ) .
    The drinking started in the car on the way to sydney airport and continued on for 10 days. The plane ride over was insanity, the boozing was out of control , the Indo Hosties went and hid up the back of the plane towards the end of the filght and left the Drinks cart out for self serve . I fingered a Fat Chick as well on the flight then banged her when got to our hotels in Bali.
    Ugly Aussies in Bali....Yep guilty 555
    peteman likes this.

Cadet Gold
    I had worked in Papua New Guinea before I came to SEA and that was enough culture shock for anybody.

Just before I came to Thailand in 1970, I had been working for long periods in the Simpson Desert. Back in those we did not have rosters and rotation schedules and all that sissy shit, it was "y'all get out to that rig, boy, and don't come back 'til the well is finished". I only got laid about twice a year and I could never make up my mind whether I liked the black one or
    the white one the most.

I arrived in Bangkok and matched my annual average on the way in from the airport. I liked that and I thought I might just stick around for a bit.

So I did.
    Last edited by Buksida; 13th March 2017 at 22:57.
    Quarky, Moo Uaon, Bacon and 1 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    There is nothing as different to our culture as Asia is, IMO.

You are right that nothing beats the 1st time but now been 20+ times in the still snacks me in the face like no other place.

I've been going to Latin America in the last 4-6 years and definitely enjoy it but it's not as different as Asia is.

I won't go into huge detail about my 1st trip because most of us felt the same.

But I was supposed to go to Thailand with an experienced Thai traveler.
    I booked and paid for my flight and he cancelled the week before.
    I remember having a beer and some food at JFK airport checking in and being a bit scared out of my mind. Looking back it's a bit silly I was so worried.

One other thing that sticks out, always, was I landed at night.
    Stayed at The Westin on Sukhumvit.
    I honestly didn't know much about the scene in BkK and just wanted to get my wits about me.
    So I had 3 or 4 drinks at the hotel bar. And listened to this awesome American black girl sing with the piano.

I always find this stillness in the air when it big, luxury hotels in Asia. Like a thickness.
    And that stands out.

It was also when I started to make some pretty good money.
    So just sitting at that hotel bar, coming from where I come from, literally being one of the only people I grew up with that probably has been to Asia.

It was exciting.

I think maybe Africa will be like that? I can't think of anywhere else that will be
    Maybe try Jordan, Egypt, Algeria and Morocco. Those are all pretty historical and out there places. Israel would probably be worth seeing as well, but that stamp will cause you problems. If you go to Israel first, Arab countries will give you shit, and vice versa. Not sure if there's a way around that these days. My old man used to import cars from Germany to Israel a long time ago, and he'd always ask for a card to be stamped and placed in his passport instead, and then the same thing in Emirates as he used to visit both places. I doubt they can still do the same though.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefbrody View Post
    10 days with 2 x friends back in 2010.

Phuket was the destination. Staying at the rather nice Katathani hotel.

Did the usual touristy/first timer things. Beaches. Jungle trek. Temples. Monkeys/Elephants. Day trips by boats to various islands (James Bond/The Beach). Driven around all day visiting various sites in Phuket Town.

Only popped over to Patong on one evening. Bit of an eye opener to say the least but the 3 of us (2 guys/1girl) were on our best behaviour that time. I put that right on my 2nd visit though. 555

All 3 of us had a great time. Beautiful locations. Great weather. Uber friendly people. I'm the only one who's been back (though one friend did go backpacking in Vietnam) since, back in 2012.

Very much looking forward to my 3rd visit in a month.

PS. Will never forget the time at Suvarnabhumi airport. Walking through the airport then stepped outside for the first time (to get a bus ride to the next plane). All 3 of us just looked at each other and laughed, as the blast of heat nearly ripped our faces off 555
    I love that heat and smell now. So full of promises.

Quote Originally Posted by Buksida View Post
    I had worked in Papua New Guinea before I came to SEA and that was enough culture shock for anybody.

Just before I came to Thailand in 1970, I had been working for long periods in the Simpson Desert. Back in those we did not have rosters and rotation schedules and all that sissy shit, it was "y'all get out to that rig, boy, and don't come back 'til the well is finished". I only got laid about twice a year and I could never make up my mind whether I liked the black one or
    the white one the most.

I arrived in Bangkok and matched my annual average on the way in from the airport. I liked that and I thought I might just stick around for a bit.

So I did.
    Drillers are a lot like sailor like that.
    chiefbrody likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast