• 3 Post By Moo Uaon
  • 2 Post By Zablive
  • 1 Post By Olympus
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 2 Post By YankeeDK
  • 1 Post By Changone

Thread: Helping with the house work - you must be kidding

Lightbulb Helping with the house work - you must be kidding

I often help out with the house work , a bit of sweeping , some moping and washing up the dinner plates

I happened to mention to a mate about me helping the wife around the house , my friends reaction was one of horror . According to him a man should not get involved with looking after the house , even to the extent of just helping with the house work.

So does any one else help their wife / partner with the house work , or is it just like my friend says , its not right.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    forbidden at my place. not the mans job.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

It's not right helping... though maybe she can occasionally help you .. you lazy bastard... 55

I do all my housework. I'm a bit of clean freak.. and love nothing better than being on my hands and knees cleaning the rim of the toilet... when a house is clean... and you cleaned it yourself, you appreciate it much more... I am pretty precious with my sponges and mops and vacuum cleaners... hands off... 55

Same in the garden... I love cutting hedges, pruning, weeding, mowing the lawn.. sprinkling moss and weed killer...

If someone else does all that stuff... it doesn't feel like my home.. 55
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    forbidden at my place. not the mans job.
    This is also my wife's thoughts.

But she is shit at housework. Great cook but when it comes to cleaning she never had to do it back home as the help did it.

However as she works full time now and I'm retired I do most of the house work but its my choice to help out. She still says I shouldn't do it she will when she gets home its not a mans job.
    Quarky and Sydney like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    My tg insists that the household duties are hers and hers alone - my jobs are the outside - yards , scooters and cars.
    When we first moved in together she indicated that there was almost something "wrong" with me to want to do domestic stuff , and any lonely neighbourhood ladies may end up thinking I was not well taken care of.
    So now I do very little inside , except the 'tall' stuff , whereas my ex in Aus was constantly palming off house keeping to me as she liked to talk on the phone instead.
    Tingtong likes this.

My ex wife #2 aussie girl would not let me do any house work or gardening. She was extremely OCD and I just was not good at any of this stuff in her eyes.

When I became single I had no idea how to clean, didn't even know how to do the washing or any cooking. It was a challenge at first and I was still working so time was short.

How things have changed.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I live in LoS (Samui) but still do most of my own house work (laundry goes out) and make/cook most meals for myself...that's the way I like it...I had a maid who came with the house when I first moved in...she'd come in weekly (or should I say weakly 555) but she was a waste of money so I let her slide
    Tingtong and Olympus like this.

Cadet Gold
    When i was last there the girl had to work for a few days so while she was away i said look ill do the ironing if you like seeing as she had washed all of our clothes .I think she was amazed at how well i could iron and set them all out .As for cleaning pots ect i was told in no short term that it was not my place to do such things which is strange as i do it for myself everyday ,as for ozzyguy #1 was a great cook ,#2 could burn water and #3 was a philipino who was just f^^^^^ lazy and wouldnt cook so i had to cook for all of us or we would starve hahaha

I wonder how many girls under 30 can cook these days... let alone clean. In the UK at least, when talking to the younger generation... it's a badge of honour not being able to cook... and as for cleaning... hah... they'll pay someone to do that... 55

Much like modern guys... no DIY skills at all. Can't even change a plug... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I live in LoS (Samui) but still do most of my own house work (laundry goes out) and make/cook most meals for myself...that's the way I like it...I had a maid who came with the house when I first moved in...she'd come in weekly (or should I say weakly 555) but she was a waste of money so I let her slide
    I know several expats who have maids that come to their house , but for me just the thought of letting a stranger wander about in your home , looking in draws and who knows what , gives me the heebie jeebies.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I wonder how many girls under 30 can cook these days... let alone clean. In the UK at least, when talking to the younger generation... it's a badge of honour not being able to cook... and as for cleaning... hah... they'll pay someone to do that... 55

Much like modern guys... no DIY skills at all. Can't even change a plug... 55
    could probably make a thread outta that.

what you can/have DIY

sewing,engine rebuilds? etc etc
    Quarky, crispy and OZZYGUY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    I know several expats who have maids that come to their house , but for me just the thought of letting a stranger wander about in your home , looking in draws and who knows what , gives me the heebie jeebies.
    My wifes family have a live in maid / nannie back home. (wifes step dad is a expat) The older one is in her 60's been with the family before my wife was born. She has never had a boyfriend just committed to the family. She is a great old chook really just part of the family and always looks after me with cold beer when I'm around.

Also have a younger nannie. She is 28 and been with the family since she was 13. When she came she was a street kids with no home and my wife's family took her in and made sure she got a good education as well as part time nannie work.

The older nannie is not in that good shape these days and the younger nannie now takes care of her. I know the younger one is actively looking on dating sites for a husband will be sad to see her go but happy for her to move on in life and find a hubby. Anyone want a 28 year old wife..55

Cadet Gold
    I think that a lot of todays people want the clean jobs almost as if a carpenter is looked down on as menial labor and if you have a nice clean job it is more acceptable .The problem is that all these people will have to pay someone to fix there cars ,build there homes ect where as in my time and even now I do it all myself from concreting to changing wheel bearings to cooking a chocolate cake ,I don't know how the iron manufacturers have stayed in business everything now a days as stretch fit I swear some of these women sell there used undies to rent a tent .

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    I often help out with the house work , a bit of sweeping , some moping and washing up the dinner plates

I happened to mention to a mate about me helping the wife around the house , my friends reaction was one of horror . According to him a man should not get involved with looking after the house , even to the extent of just helping with the house work.

So does any one else help their wife / partner with the house work , or is it just like my friend says , its not right.
    You'd be much more help mopping than moping 555!

Someone had to say it!
    Quarky and Olympus like this.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    You'd be much more help mopping than moping 555!

Someone had to say it!

Chob likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    My wife is a clean freak so me and the dog just stay out of her way

But I do keep it up during the week

When she 1st moved to Vancouver she didn't work and she did everything, laundry, ironing, house cleaning

Once she started working I did my own laundry half the times and was fine with that

Oh and she always organized my closest (miss that!)
    TLandHim likes this.

Directions and car stuff for the man.

One time....me ......ask him where XXX is.
    Reluctantly asks....
    5 min conversation and much finger pointing in all directions.. Then finished
    Me....which way?.....
    He don't know. 555
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 7th March 2017 at 04:39.

Cadet Gold
    My wife would get angry fast, if I didn't help out at home. She is just about as lazy as me
    Quarky and TLandHim like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    We have a full time live in housekeeper so we never have to do anything around the house, it's great.
    Just finish work and meals are laid on, beds made, clothes washed, house cleaned, gardening done, cars washed, filled up with fuel, we never miss a car service, she even does all the shopping and just tells us when any of the bills are due.
    I can't recall the last time I even got a drink from the fridge, and the bar is always well stocked. Dammit she's always there at the right time, and if I want a massage she's fully trained and ready.

I'm joking of course....
    YankeeDK likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I gave up trying to help years ago. Dao does it all including the gardens. I will help with the heavy stuff and take garden waste etc when she asks. But mostly she will ask my son to do. I will cook 50% of the time because it is something that I enjoy and I get sick of same dishes.

She is habitual, Monday is cleaning bed rooms and Tuesday pulling all out in the kitchen to clean. Wednesday is bath rooms. Both of my adult children have a bathroom en-suite and I disagree with her cleaning them but I lose that argument.

On the flip side my children have grown up with this.... into now late 20's early 30's. At a recent trip to see and stay with my father. He chipped me, that my children and I do not offer to help after dinner. Something that was instilled in me as a child. Dao usually cooks for them and they insist that she should not clean up after cooking. Different generations and cultures in the mix.

The problem is that if Dao heard my father criticize what is also her children she will get upset and take that as a criticism of her. She would voice it without a problem fiercely. The respect the elders goes out the window. So while it may be nice to have someone that does all this and different to perhaps ex wives. It does cause issues.

Certain things I'm anal about. Mould and soap scum on the glass is one in a bathroom. I will often clean again my bathroom as she does not see theses as an issue (to the anal standard I have from mother). Washing dishes is painful to watch with the waste of water and detergent that then goes into the dish washer. I'm anal about my clothes for work. Look good, feel good, do good and all that... so now they go out after many battles and hurt feelings. I just feel better with a crisp shirt and suites have always gone outside. Out side of work I don't give a .
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore"