Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bacwaan

Thread: Are you on Facebook Then you must be lonely

Lightbulb Are you on Facebook Then you must be lonely

Social Media Is Increasing Loneliness Among Adults

So here you have it , I all ways knew in the back of my mind that all these people that keep asking me over and over again are you on facebook , were in fact just lonely souls drowning in a sea of social media .

Cop a load of this bugger .......

Social media sites designed to help people connect are actually causing them to feel more alone, say psychologists.

The more time young adults spend on platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Pintrest, the more likely they are to feel cut off from the rest of society, a study has found.

More than two hours of social media use a day doubled the chances of a person experiencing social isolation.

Higher numbers of visits to social media sites have a negative effect as well as the amount of time spent online, the US research shows.

Study participants who visited various sites 58 or more times per week were three times more at risk of isolation than those visiting less than nine times per week.

Lead scientist Professor Brian Primack, from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, said: “This is an important issue to study because mental health problems and social isolation are at epidemic levels among young adults.

“We are inherently social creatures, but modern life tends to compartmentalise us instead of bringing us together.

“While it may seem that social media presents opportunities to fill that social void, I think this study suggests that it may not be the solution people were hoping for.”

The team questioned 1,787 adults aged 19 to 32 about their use of the 11 most popular social media platforms at the time the research was conducted in 2014: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Google Plus, Instagram, Snapchat, Reddit, Tumblr, Pintrest, Vine and LinkedIn.

Each person was assessed for self-perceived social isolation using a standard technique called the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (Promis) that provides scores for a wide range of measurements.

The link with isolation was found even after taking account of social and demographic factors that might have influenced the results.

Co-author Elizabeth Miller, professor of paediatrics at the University of Pittsburgh, said: “We do not yet know which came first - the social media use or the perceived social isolation.

“It’s possible that young adults who initially felt socially isolated turned to social media. Or it could be that their increased use of social media somehow led to feeling isolated from the real world.

“It also could be a combination of both. But even if the social isolation came first, it did not seem to be alleviated by spending time online, even in purportedly social situations.”

Article Link

Social Media Is Increasing Loneliness Among Adults, Say Psychologists | The Huffington Post

Platinum
    Facebook is so useful.
    TL uses it for vetting prospective tenants.
    Pull up the photo's, shows the drunken party behaviour, shows the untidy bedrooms etc

Next applicant please

How can people be so dumb to post stuff that anyone can just look at?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Facebook is what you make it. I recently deleted the app from my phone and setup stronger filters and unfollowed a whole bunch of "friends" so I don't see their nonsense on my feed.

If you just keep it at the level of close friends and family and people you like to keep in touch with then it's ok.

And yeah, people with open, public profiles are absolute morons.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Ive culled my FB to 12 people. these are people that I actually know and have know for years . Same as Bacon im sick of getting shit about other peoples Kids or wanks asking for a "Amen" for some cause etc.
    It can be useful but I could defiantly live without it.

I have an active Facebook account, and no Facebook friends. Set up in a false name, it's my news gatherer for numerous sports and organisations I support or follow. Brings all their updates together, easy to scroll through and keep up with events etc
    Last edited by Hatari; 7th March 2017 at 16:59.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    like all social media...if you use it rather than have it use you all will be fine

I keep up with family and friends + news and entertainment via FB...it's great for that

TBH, I see very little difference between a joint like this and FB if you choose the right people as friends and the appropriate privacy settings.....
    Last edited by bacwaan; 7th March 2017 at 17:51.
    PeteGill and jontymate like this.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    No face book but I understand Rob loves it.5555