Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: What do you look for in a holiday?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

What do you look for in a holiday?

I guess the question is what type of holiday do you want ot like?

Although I've never had the LOS blues as some talk about....I do have similar in that I love planning my next holiday once I'm done with the last one.
    To me part of the fun is planning the holiday.
    Searching for the best accommodation, things to do during the day.

But I thought of this question because I am going to Hawaii next month for 10 days and I'm not excited for it but looking forward to it.....is that makes sense.

I'm already booked for Panama and Costa Rica in July and really excited about that.

But I think I should start mixing in holidays where I just relax like this Hawaii one.

So I'd say what I look for in a holiday.
    Definitely a new place. Although I go to Thailand a lot....that is more family related and I always try and go to other Asian countries I haven't been to before.

I like to be active during the day but try and stay away from touristy places. I like outdoor activities and reading about old businesses or even neighborhoods and like to go to those places.

I like to have a good dinner every night. I don't like to just grab food. I like to sit and relax, have some drinks.
    I usually eat local food during the day and Western food for dinner.

I always try and include a bit of beach in my holidays but don't like having a 100% beach holiday.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    In my twenties it was getting around the world as much as I could: Asia, India/Nepal, Africa, The Middle East, Europe and the USA mostly, taking it all in long the way...but the whole idea of it was just the travel/experience..usually staying in pensiones, friends of friends houses and small B+B's etc....travelling was on low cost trains (eurail pass), buses (I travelled almost all of South and Central America on local buses) and in a Kombi Van for one long stint (Europe)..hitching in the USA as well..wouldn't do that now 555

In my thirties it was all about the major cities of the world and their architecture....travelling on planes and first class trains (TGV etc)....and staying in nice hotels...4-5 stars...I was earning the money by then and was married to a wife who liked the high-life 555

By the time I was in my forties I was tacking on holidays either side of business travel...so lots of USA and Europe....with stopovers in Asia on the way to Europe: Japan, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, China etc....but still staying in nice places...by my late forties I also rediscovered scuba diving so did plenty of adventurous trips then as well to Papua New Guinea, Palau (diving in the lake with the jellyish) The Philippines etc etc

In my early fifties I retired here (Thailand)...I still travel to lots of local Asian countries most years...and take a europe or AUS trip every other year...but my penchant for long distance travel has been pretty much sated...TBH I can't really think of anywhere new I would want to go...perhaps South Africa, not sure...I wouldn't travel there back in the day due to Apartheid...and I have several friends met in LoS who live there
    Sydney likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i was going to say what i want in a holiday now is much different to what i wanted in my 20's,30's and 40's.

changing outlook on life itself.... no spring break drunk all the time type stuff these days.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    In one word ... difference, weather that is in Australia or overseas

Have never understood why people want to go the same holiday location year in year out, for some this is the same caravan park every christmas holidays, and they do it for 20 years ... maybe economics plays a part in this, especially when raising kids, but what a bore ... every year, same drive, same sceanary, same people when you get there ..

My brother did this for 10 years straight, every Xmas to the same location, same my ex's SIL in the UK, same location, and in both cases money wasn't the driving force, tons of money to get where ever they want including overseas ..

So for me its about a different location where ever it is, doesn't matter so much what the experience is as long as its a different adventure.

i do however understand the LOS, and also for me in the past, NZ, can get in the way of this plan ..555

M26 what do you mean by reading about old businesses or even neighborhoods and like to go to those places. ... what do you mean by Old Business's exactly, this intrigued me
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

^ brothels can be fairly old...in the business sense.
    Rivo likes this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    ^ You would get to meet lots of people....from different walks of life 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post

M26 what do you mean by reading about old businesses or even neighborhoods and like to go to those places. ... what do you mean by Old Business's exactly, this intrigued me
    Places with a lot of history to it.
    Perfect example.....a place like the Scala Theatre in Siam Square in Bangkok

I went there last time I was in Bangkok on a weekday afternoon. I didn't see a movie but just walked around. Had the place to myself and it was awesome.
    A relic of the past

https://www.wheresidewalksend.com/bangkok-scala-cinema/

Or in Hawaii.....going to an old hotel that still had that 1970's Tiki atmosphere
    A great Tiki bar...

Or some local restaurant that has been in business for decades still serving the same food.

Just places you can get a good sense of the past.

It's why I loved Luang Prabang......it still is very much like it was in Colonial times from the buildings, the French influence from the bakeries to the outdoor cafes

In one word ... difference, weather that is in Australia or overseas

Have never understood why people want to go the same holiday location year in year out, for some this is the same caravan park every christmas holidays, and they do it for 20 years ... maybe economics plays a part in this, especially when raising kids, but what a bore ... every year, same drive, same sceanary, same people when you get there ..

My brother did this for 10 years straight, every Xmas to the same location, same my ex's SIL in the UK, same location, and in both cases money wasn't the driving force, tons of money to get where ever they want including overseas ..

So for me its about a different location where ever it is, doesn't matter so much what the experience is as long as its a different adventure.

i do however understand the LOS, and also for me in the past, NZ, can get in the way of this plan ..555

After 25 years of trips back to NZ to see the folks.... I guess I am guilty of going to the same place year after year... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    After 25 years of trips back to NZ to see the folks.... I guess I am guilty of going to the same place year after year... 55
    Although I agree with Sydney that I prefer to see different places, as long as people are happy with their holiday............who cares if they go to the same place. Especially with kids Although I would travel all over with kids

But, just like Thailand with me...........I don't consider it a holiday anymore......it's a family visit, as your NZ trips were

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Although I agree with Sydney that I prefer to see different places, as long as people are happy with their holiday............who cares if they go to the same place. Especially with kids Although I would travel all over with kids

But, just like Thailand with me...........I don't consider it a holiday anymore......it's a family visit, as your NZ trips were
    True... and it's back to where I grew up.. like you going back to Boston...

Now that family is no longer there (just friends and memories now) the trips will be less frequent.. a chance to go to other places more now... so probably less Thailand as well as it was my stopover (half way) point...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Cadet Gold
    What are these "holidays" of which you speak?
    Sydney and Minder like this.

Yeah with kids its a bit of a double edged sword .... kids like repetitive actions, its a sense of safety for them, also having the same holiday in the same place year in year out they create friends and other fond memories that they will keep for ever ...

But on the other hand they gain little in experience ..... however showing and taking your kids all over the place like we did, could well mean you will loose them to the world once they get to travelling age ... fair chance now i wont see my kids at all for at least 2 years ... right at a time when you can have the most fun with them doing shit ... and then what if they meet a swede, for in love and stay in europe for a decade or more ...

Damn, should have kept Liam and Zac at the same campsite for the last 18 years ... 5555

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Yeah but you have extended your reach to beyond just NZ ... thats the difference

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Yeah with kids its a bit of a double edged sword .... kids like repetitive actions, its a sense of safety for them, also having the same holiday in the same place year in year out they create friends and other fond memories that they will keep for ever ...

But on the other hand they gain little in experience ..... however showing and taking your kids all over the place like we did, could well mean you will loose them to the world once they get to travelling age ... fair chance now i wont see my kids at all for at least 2 years ... right at a time when you can have the most fun with them doing shit ... and then what if they meet a swede, for in love and stay in europe for a decade or more ...

Damn, should have kept Liam and Zac at the same campsite for the last 18 years ... 5555
    Just read a story about how moving is very hard on young kids. A study followed some for thirty years and the kids that stayed in one place tended to to a lot better socially than kids that had to move around.

I just found myself with my travel needs changing drastically. For my entire adult life I have had but two requirements for travel. New places and a party and of course the party is much easier to find since I am not looking to get laid anymore.

Now, I am looking to go back to many places I never felt the urge to return to so I can share my experiences with my daughter. I doubt she will like doing the same thing every year though. She really has no constants in her life with the exception of her mother. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in her furture.
    Quarky likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

But I think if you just start travelling with them right away you get used to it and the kids do as well.
    My really good friends here Rann and Tara are huge travellers and were putting their kids on planes at 1yrs old everywhere.
    They just came back from the Galapagos Islands.....although it helps they are loaded and can rent their own boat and crew for a week!! 555

however showing and taking your kids all over the place like we did, could well mean you will loose them to the world once they get to travelling age ...
    could be true.
    did my first OS holiday to Tassie in '72 and use to go to different places at Xmas with the oldies before that in the 60's by car....gold coast.port macquarie,the entrance/central coast,south australia 3 times,sunshine coast....might've caught the bug there but my real OS trips started early 80's with a coupla cruises that resulted in 3 months in Europe soon after.

But I think if you just start travelling with them right away you get used to it and the kids do as well.
    My really good friends here Rann and Tara are huge travellers and were putting their kids on planes at 1yrs old everywhere.
    They just came back from the Galapagos Islands.....although it helps they are loaded and can rent their own boat and crew for a week!! 555
    True, they adapt to almost anything .... i actually think you can create well rounded kids if they get to travel a lot, of coarse this is only one part of there upbringing and a lot else matters as well ..

Galapagos Islands, what a awesome place to take your kids .....

For balance, your good friends are hopefully giving them some experiences out there roughing it a bit ... not all fancy hotels or boats with all the comforts on tap at the flick of finger, travelling only like that can also be a negative for kids, especially if people are serving them everything

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    could be true.
    did my first OS holiday to Tassie in '72 and use to go to different places at Xmas with the oldies before that in the 60's by car....gold coast.port macquarie,the entrance/central coast,south australia 3 times,sunshine coast....might've caught the bug there but my real OS trips started early 80's with a coupla cruises that resulted in 3 months in Europe soon after.
    It all has a bearing i am sure ... they put you in new surroundings, not the same safe environment year after year

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    Just read a story about how moving is very hard on young kids. A study followed some for thirty years and the kids that stayed in one place tended to to a lot better socially than kids that had to move around.

I just found myself with my travel needs changing drastically. For my entire adult life I have had but two requirements for travel. New places and a party and of course the party is much easier to find since I am not looking to get laid anymore.

Now, I am looking to go back to many places I never felt the urge to return to so I can share my experiences with my daughter. I doubt she will like doing the same thing every year though. She really has no constants in her life with the exception of her mother. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in her furture.
    Same ..... pendulum always swings

Moving around a lot in terms of living is a completely different situation ... some kids can handle it, but yeah most dont ..

Travel holiday's however i reckon has far more positives than negatives, and beats the security of the same old holiday park every year for sure ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Same ..... pendulum always swings

Moving around a lot in terms of living is a completely different situation ... some kids can handle it, but yeah most dont ..

Travel holiday's however i reckon has far more positives than negatives, and beats the security of the same old holiday park every year for sure ...
    Yeah, I was just thinking about how well I handled moving houses about 12 times between both parents. But then I remembered I only changed schools once. So maybe not the same. 55
    Sydney likes this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast