The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: What type of margin?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Or dump Quincy ........55
    More unlikely 55
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    This is the job my wife did for Robsinson's back in November.
    I was quite impressed. Robsinson's had the design but my wife gave suggestions and changes.
    I honestly didn't know they were doing jobs that involved so much http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a4cb1e2...0892749059.mp4

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    This is the job my wife did for Robsinson's back in November.
    I was quite impressed. Robsinson's had the design but my wife gave suggestions and changes.
    I honestly didn't know they were doing jobs that involved so much http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5a4cb1e2...0892749059.mp4

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Is her work the electronic white strip across the top? "Pacific Union"?
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Is her work the electronic white strip across the top? "Pacific Union"?
    Her work is all of it
    The revolving doors, the scrolling banner
    The stage

The neon

I was quite impressed!!
    Distantpeak and Nomad like this.

A couple of business in Thailand questions, if any one might know

Is it common to have to wait 2 months after you finish a job to get paid?
    I understand a pay cycle needs to be followed but 2 months seems long?

And how much are contracts used when doing business in Thailand?

Ao did that big job. Got paid half and then had to wait 2 months before getting the balance
    Then the cheque bounced
    She went and ended up getting it in cash after waiting another week

But I told her she needs to start getting contracts signed with these people
    But is that common? Would it offend people?

She is working with some bigger companies so I would think they'd understand the need to protect herself?

Thanks for any insight

Not answering your question, but another girl done good...

The 30-year-old woman who designed a $1bn business - BBC News

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Our terms of contract are a signed agreement of the quote plus 50% with the balance on job completion.
    Then she'll start work.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Our terms of contract are a signed agreement of the quote plus 50% with the balance on job completion.
    Then she'll start work.
    Ok so you do she contracts, thanks

She is going to the lawyer that set up her company to get a generic draft of a contract

Thanks for the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Not answering your question, but another girl done good...

The 30-year-old woman who designed a $1bn business - BBC News
    My wife ain't make a bil 5555
    Baht or USD!

^Not yet....!

A couple of business in Thailand questions, if any one might know

Is it common to have to wait 2 months after you finish a job to get paid?
    I understand a pay cycle needs to be followed but 2 months seems long?
    Seems pretty normal to me, payments are slow in Thailand, everything is on credit until it has to be paid and interest in very low (on a professional level)

That being said it depends on the client, future work, etc. A new unknown client would normally have to pay upfront or balance on completion of the job.

Also depends on the work type etc, when the client will be paid etc. But 6 months is not unusual, but normally discussed at the start of the job.

And how much are contracts used when doing business in Thailand?
    Verbal a lot, written not so much. But for a big job it should be put in writing for both parties protection.

Ao did that big job. Got paid half and then had to wait 2 months before getting the balance
    Then the cheque bounced
    She went and ended up getting it in cash after waiting another week
    Not unusual, what type of figure are we talking about? 300,000 plus to me is a bigger then normal job.

But I told her she needs to start getting contracts signed with these people
    But is that common? Would it offend people?
    New clients no, old maybe, much like the west.

As you always say, treat thailand the same as any other business deal.

Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    Seems pretty normal to me, payments are slow in Thailand, everything is on credit until it has to be paid and interest in very low (on a professional level)

That being said it depends on the client, future work, etc. A new unknown client would normally have to pay upfront or balance on completion of the job.

Also depends on the work type etc, when the client will be paid etc. But 6 months is not unusual, but normally discussed at the start of the job.

Verbal a lot, written not so much. But for a big job it should be put in writing for both parties protection.

Not unusual, what type of figure are we talking about? 300,000 plus to me is a bigger then normal job.

New clients no, old maybe, much like the west.

As you always say, treat thailand the same as any other business deal.
    This 2 months was the longest she had to wait to get paid the balance
    She was fine with that and understands the pay cycle but then to have the cheque bounced and them wanting to give her another cheque she wasn't happy with

This job was a bit over 200k, which at this stage, is a big job for her

She does smaller jobs where she gets paid pretty quickly
    So she will likely suggest a contract on the "bigger " jobs where she had to wait for balance payment

But she is also competing against other companies so has to be aware of that

I get paid 3 ways from clients
    2 are immediate, the other is invoiced
    My finance division is always on me to go after them after 2 months when we only bill them a month after
    I tell them to beat it and usually wait until it is 2 months after billing to follow up

This 2 months was the longest she had to wait to get paid the balance
    She was fine with that and understands the pay cycle but then to have the cheque bounced and them wanting to give her another cheque she wasn't happy with

This job was a bit over 200k, which at this stage, is a big job for her

She does smaller jobs where she gets paid pretty quickly
    So she will likely suggest a contract on the "bigger " jobs where she had to wait for balance payment

But she is also competing against other companies so has to be aware of that

I get paid 3 ways from clients
    2 are immediate, the other is invoiced
    My finance division is always on me to go after them after 2 months when we only bill them a month after
    I tell them to beat it and usually wait until it is 2 months after billing to follow up
    Like any business its client relationship that counts and being new in the industry doesn't help.

As you know business is a risk, she will get burnt, but that's part of the game.

I would suggest you apply the same rules that you apply in the west, something you preach a lot on discussion about Thailand, because business is business the world over.

Hatari, Buksida, GGrass and Zablive all claim to have businesses (or partners in business) to name a few in Thailand, interesting that they haven't responded.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    Hatari, Buksida, GGrass and Zablive all claim to have businesses (or partners in business) to name a few in Thailand, interesting that they haven't responded.
    Zaba did....

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Zaba did....
    As odd as it maybe I agree with his terms, but yes I missed his post. Thanks for pointing it out, but what about the others? (the question isn't directed at you, sorry that I have to point that out, but a lot of posters here are special not in the good way 555)
    Last edited by phaisan; 13th January 2018 at 16:49.

Cadet
    Two months for payment is not unusual particularly for big companies. Even if you have a contract stipulating payment within one month of invoice submission they will re-interpret that to one month after invoice approval. This is then subject to their billing process so that they can procrastinate and get on to the next month approval/payment cycle. Other big companies, especially European ones, will accept a proposal and then issue a Purchase Order stating that terms are 3 months.

I am surprised that you received a cheque that bounced. This is a criminal offence and puts some power back into the hands of the Contractor making the Client vulnerable to prosecution. Sometimes on rental contracts we will ask for post-dated cheques from dodgy clients for each month of the expected rental to give us some leverage.

Everybody signs contracts but my experience is that the Contractor is the only party expected to honour them. The guy with the cheque book holds all the cards.

Litigation on anything less than multi-million baht contracts is rare in Thailand. The judicial system places a heavy emphasis on compromise. Even in a clear cut case you are expected to take it on the chin for part of the payment in the interest of "harmony". It's changing, but the Contractors' mindset was once "bullets cost less than lawyers".

When I was first starting out I occasionally had to seek finance on the grey or black market. The normal thing then was to take out an insurance policy that paid out on accidental death or murder with the lender as the beneficiary as one of the conditions. The implication was pretty clear on what would happen in the event of non-payment.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678