Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Home cooked meal or dine out?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    I love cooking... and also enjoy dining out.

The problem with dining out... I will spend a small fortune and my expectations are very high when the price of a steak now approaching $50.

My own cooking was quite conservative until my eldest daughter, who is an amazing cook, encouraged me to trust my intuition with flavours.

I'm not that creative though and tend to follow a tried and trusted recipe.

Taste testing is a must.

Tom kha gai and cold beef salad Vietnamese style are two of my all time favourite dishes.

Never the same without adjustment of ingredients.

Sometimes I'm just over it and stop by the local Chinese takeaway and buy a few meals to go in the freezer for later.

And no matter what the health concious tell you... food wrapped in pastry is one of life's true joys. The humble pie, mashed potatoes and peas with lashings of tomato sauce.

I visited the pie cart in Sydney a few times. What bliss... steak pie with mashed potatoes on top dished out to accommodate peas and gravy..... sometimes ya just gotta love Aussie ingenuity.
    GGrass likes this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ Harry's cafe de wheels?
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    ^I was parked across from harry's recently and all the staff in there were asians , very unaustralian.
    Cuzzy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Being fussy with your food is a curse. We find most of our home cooked meals are better than resturants. When we go out we just get disapointed so rather eat at home.

However we do like eating out in Thailand and just arrived in BKK.
    I do enjoy eating out for things like burgers or fried chicken but as far as cooking a steak, I just don't get anything decent or for that matter cooked properly and to my liking eating out. There's a bit of a new craze goin on here in Oz with low and slow smoking style BBQ which I'm getting into and you definitely can't get that eating out
    Food fishing and furballs

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ Harry's cafe de wheels?
    Yes... Awesome stuff
    Moo Uaon likes this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    ^I was parked across from harry's recently and all the staff in there were asians , very unaustralian.
    Same as Auckland, it's mostly Asian now.. and I love it... very Kiwi... nothing sexier than variety..
    Last edited by Quarky; 30th April 2017 at 08:15.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    When you cook at home, you pay for the ingredients, and that's it!
    When you eat in a restaurant, you pay for the ingredients, the person cooking for you, the serving staff, the rent, owner's profit, tax office.. So no competition..

When you cook at home, you cook 1,2 or three dishes, and if more like a dinner party, you can have breaks in between.. No reason to rush a fine meal..
    In a restaurant, a chef cooks for 50-100 diners (has some sous-chefs for the compliments though), how can he or she ever pay the same attention to the food that you can at home?

Cooking is not difficult.. The only thing that is really difficult is tasting.. Not is it good or bad, but what ingredient is missing or lacking, what to add or how to lessen the taste of something dominating..
    i try to teach my children to taste.. and now the will respond "yes, salty enough... sweet enough to.. maybe a little bitter.. and yes. too sour.. Texture is good and it has the right bite..." 5555
    OZZYGUY and Cuzzy like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123