Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Facebook. Public or Private?

Facebook. Public or Private?

Do you think Facebook is public or private?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Depends on your settings...

It is pretty customisable, to suit what you want... Play around with the privacy settings to set it up they way you want.
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    As in public listed company or public everony can use and see it?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    That's a broad question, and it depends on the privacy settings you setup. But it's never other people I'm afraid of, it's Facebook itself.

If you have uploaded more than a couple of photos of yourself to Facebook, chances are they have all your facial recognition patterns. Facebook can setup a camera on the street, connected to their servers, and they'll recognise you immediately when you walk past. That's scary.

I've deleted Facebook from my phone and rarely use it, except to keep in touch with friends.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

As in, 'Do you think it is public or private?'.

Just your first thought when you think about Facebook. No need to worry about technicality, or the legal issues, just your perception of 'Facebook'. Do you consider it to be public or private?

For example, your bedroom. Public or private? Me, my bedroom, or anyone else's bedroom, is considered to be private.

Bus station. Public or private? Me, a bus station is public.

Now Facebook. Is it public, or private? For me, it is private. Now I'm asking you. Do you consider Facebook to be public, or private?

Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post

Just your first thought when you think about Facebook. No need to worry about technicality, or the legal issues, just your perception of 'Facebook'. Do you consider it to be public or private?

For example, your bedroom. Public or private? Me, my bedroom, or anyone else's bedroom, is considered to be private.

Bus station. Public or private. Me, a bus station is public.

Now Facebook. Is it public, or private. For me, it is private. Now I'm asking you. Do you consider Facebook to be public, or private?
    In that case it's private.

Or more accurately, up to you. You can always lock your bedroom door and you can lock down Facebook. Or you can leave your bedroom door open and invite everyone to come in and look at your stuff.

I'm asking this question because the government is trying to tell us what we can and cannot say on Facebook because it is a PUBLIC space, and I am NOT OK with that.
    Last edited by GGrass; 29th April 2017 at 12:50.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Ive never trusted FB and have been thinking about f@cking it off for a while now. I dont like the fact that your full name is on your profile.
    As far as I can work out ive got my settings on the highest level of security from other people eyes, but of course that doesn't stop FB .
    Zablive likes this.

Personally,

I am not worried that Facebook will take my private details and make it public, or that they will look into my private life and spy on me. They can do whatever they want with what I have on FB. As long as they let me post whatever I want, I'm cool.

Personally,

I am not worried that Facebook will take my private details and make it public, or that they will look into my private life and spy on me. They can do whatever they want with what I have on FB. As long as they let me post whatever I want, I'm cool.
    What he said.......I don't give a hoot

My wife and I do have ours set to private. We post what we want when we want and don't care however being set on private only our FB friends can see what we post, got nothing to hide.

I do however notice some people changing posts they do sometimes to "friends only" sometimes "public" or "edit". it shows a icon saying what it is if you didn't know. Only reason I see to do that is if you have something that you want a non friend to maybe see. The more interesting thing I found out a few weeks back is some people edit who can see a post. So they can select a group of people that they want to see a post or in some cases not see a post. You could select one or two people if you needed to get a point across without everyone seeing it. No my cuppa tea but great for a BG if she didn't want her other BF's knowing............55.

I'm asking this question because the government is trying to tell us what we can and cannot say on Facebook because it is a PUBLIC space, and I am NOT OK with that.
    There is more self censorship on Facebook than anything. Very few posts are actually removed. Facebook rules are pretty clear. Go ahead and post whatever you want, I'm sure you'll find nothing will be deleted unless it's vulgar or overly violent or too sexual, etc.

There's also a lot of false news and misinformation thrown about. People often make up stuff like "Apparently you can't post this or say this on Facebook anymore, well guess what?" and then they put up whatever the hell it is, and miraculously it doesn't get removed. And then a bunch of idiots see the post and get mad and start sharing the same garbage thinking they're defying the "PC police". It's all nonsense and hysteria.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Ive never trusted FB and have been thinking about f@cking it off for a while now. I dont like the fact that your full name is on your profile.
    As far as I can work out ive got my settings on the highest level of security from other people eyes, but of course that doesn't stop FB .
    It only shows what you tell it to show.
    I don't use my real surname on mine. You can change yours.
    Seems to be a lot of fake friends requests from people I'm already friends with. Best to not have too much personal info on there IMO.
    Identity theft does happen.
    Tingtong likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    It only shows what you tell it to show.
    I don't use my real surname on mine. You can change yours..

So your surname isn't Uaon ?............all these years and you tell me now 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    That's a broad question, and it depends on the privacy settings you setup. But it's never other people I'm afraid of, it's Facebook itself.

If you have uploaded more than a couple of photos of yourself to Facebook, chances are they have all your facial recognition patterns. Facebook can setup a camera on the street, connected to their servers, and they'll recognise you immediately when you walk past. That's scary.

I've deleted Facebook from my phone and rarely use it, except to keep in touch with friends.
    agreed, I lock most people out of my Thailand shots but realise on facebook nothing is secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post

Yeah just use facebook for immediate friends and family, create a 2nd account for mongering.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Yeah just use facebook for immediate friends and family, create a 2nd account for mongering.
    Wait to your mongering facebook shows up on your other account as a suggested friend.................555
    Quarky, Minder and Bacon like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar

Bus station. Public or private? Me, a bus station is public.

Now Facebook. Is it public, or private? For me, it is private. Now I'm asking you. Do you consider Facebook to be public, or private?
    It's a Bus Station in your bedroom.
    Quarky, Sydney, Zablive and 1 others like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Wait to your mongering facebook shows up on your other account as a suggested friend.................555
    ...or on a FB Friend's FB page ... aka your family, wife or GF .... they don't know anyone called "Yet Maak" but the guy with his back to the camera is wearing your shirt and shoes and has the same watch and ring ... 5555

Privacy is dead ... deal with it.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    I do like to scan through the suggested friends list sometimes. It throws up a few interesting characters now and again and I'm always amazed how many of these people have their profile set to public.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    I do like to scan through the suggested friends list sometimes. It throws up a few interesting characters now and again and I'm always amazed how many of these people have their profile set to public.
    Yeah not too smart. I often use it at work to stalk people I deal with over the phone or via email to see what they're like 555. Amazing how much personal info so many people put up, like where they work. Numpties.
    Quarky and Rockitt like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast