Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Length of holiday

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    I normally do 8 to 10 days in Thailand but I try to go 2 or 3 times a year. I find that plenty long enough, what with all the late nights. People I work with think I am crazy flying 12 hours each way for a 8 night stay, but in all honesty, if I could afford it, I would fly out there just for a long weekend. 555
    OZZYGUY and chiefbrody like this.

Cadet silver
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    I normally do 8 to 10 days in Thailand but I try to go 2 or 3 times a year. I find that plenty long enough, what with all the late nights. People I work with think I am crazy flying 12 hours each way for a 8 night stay, but in all honesty, if I could afford it, I would fly out there just for a long weekend. 555

Amen.

I know 500 isn't too bad for long haul in the grand scheme of things but, honestly, if Ryanair flew to Thailand (and i'm guessing 250-300 return would be possible (given that they do 1/3rd the distance flights for 80 return), i'd be there 4 times a year 555
    Rockitt likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    when I was i my 20's living in London I used to think nothing of travelling to France/Italy/Spain/Germany etc etc for a long wekend....I used to get a 4 day weekend once a month back then so I (sometimes with my my english GF at the time) saw loads of euro cities that way...out on Thursday night after work...arrive in a new city, hit the town in time for dinner, party half the night and still wake up for brunch and a good look around on Friday...all weekend to sight see and back home Monday night ready for work the next day..I/we must have seen 30 odd cities and holiday spots that way

When living in NYC...I'd just take a hire car for a drive out and see where I'd end up over 3-4 days...up to Maine..down to Nth/Sth Carolina...weekend in Phily...Atlantic City etc etc

I have done loads of travel both for pleasure and business..been to over a hundred countries now...but the novelty has worn off somewhat...I can hardly think of anywhere I want to go any more

Now days I'd be lucky to pop up to BKK or over to HKT (with an hour's flight) more than a couple of times a year to see friends..the thought of a long haul flight does not appeal...even back to see family and good friends in AUS/NZ
    A big long haul like Vancouver to Tapaei 11-12hrs doesn't bother me....I look at it as a way to shut off for 12hrs

But there is no direct flights this time of year so tomorrow I am 5hrs to Toronto then a 90min layover and 5:30hrs to Vancouver
    That's gonna suck!!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    Pretty much what I was doing when I was single. One year I did 5 trips.

I got a few mates that are based in KL. They go to Chiang mai for weekends just to go mountain biking. They get the 6am Friday flight to CM and Sunday afternoon flight back.
    Rockitt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Pretty much what I was doing when I was single. One year I did 5 trips.

I got a few mates that are based in KL. They go to Chiang mai for weekends just to go mountain biking. They get the 6am Friday flight to CM and Sunday afternoon flight back.
    Vancouver to Boston just got a direct flight.
    It's 5 hours.

It's a morning flight that gets me in at 5pm, I wish it was an afternoon flight so I could go right after work.

But I will do 3 day weekends there now with 5 hour flights, that's justifiable to me

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Vancouver to Boston just got a direct flight.
    It's 5 hours.

It's a morning flight that gets me in at 5pm, I wish it was an afternoon flight so I could go right after work.

But I will do 3 day weekends there now with 5 hour flights, that's justifiable to me
    I find 5 hour flights easy. We can do Perth to KL or Singapore in 5hrs. Bali in 3.5hrs.

But the thing is for me its still a full day in a lot of cases. You got to get to and from airports, immigration if international etc. I'm just over a hour from the airport so if I go overseas or domestic 3hrs is still driving back and forward to the airport. So a 3.5 hour flight or a 8 hour to LOS doesn't make a great deal of difference.

Cebu is a two day trip, don't tell the wife but I much rather go to Chiang mai....55

When I go to Thailand I leave Perth airport 6.30am arrive CM or BKK at around 4.00pm.
    When I go to Cebu leave Perth airport at 4.30pm, 11hrs stop in KL then arrive Cebu next day at 2.30pm. Then its 3 hours on a good day in the bus to our place. That trip I don't like too much but its worth it once arrived.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I got to the stage in LOS that the only travel I really wanted to do started at the front door... car or preferably my bike.
    Hotels, taxis and planes ground on me a lot.
    Doing similar now with work in Oz, many different country towns and different place every night.
    Spent last weekend in Cairns and did the train and cable car trip up to Kuranda. Great city.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I got to the stage in LOS that the only travel I really wanted to do started at the front door... car or preferably my bike.
    Hotels, taxis and planes ground on me a lot.
    Doing similar now with work in Oz, many different country towns and different place every night.
    Spent last weekend in Cairns and did the train and cable car trip up to Kuranda. Great city.
    Traveling in LOS is a grind.
    Traffic is usually bad, bad streets, shitty and rude drivers
    It takes a lot out of you

Prefer it (LOS) to home in many ways. The roads in the mountains in the north are fairly deserted. Have ridden for hours and seen a handful of cars. Very different to the city and main arterial type stuff.

Prefer it (LOS) to home in many ways. The roads in the mountains in the north are fairly deserted. Have ridden for hours and seen a handful of cars. Very different to the city and main arterial type stuff.
    Same, I also rather ride in LOS than home. It just flows better and I feel safer on a bike even in heavy traffic.

Traveling in LOS is a grind.
    Traffic is usually bad, bad streets, shitty and rude drivers
    It takes a lot out of you
    Man you got to try the traffic in Phils. LOS is a walk in the park.

But for most people, driving in the mountains is an excursion not your daily driving.

Driving in That as your means as transportation is not pleasant, IMO

But for most people, driving in the mountains is an excursion not your daily driving.

Driving in That as your means as transportation is not pleasant, IMO
    we were talking about holiday type stuff though. straight on the bike or car and into the hills,forests,wilderness etc

we were talking about holiday type stuff though. straight on the bike or car and into the hills,forests,wilderness etc
    And as a holidayer you are most likely in a tourist area which is pretty congested in most parts of Thailand

I find it mostly a grind.
    And also driving from one destination to the other is very unpleasant, IMO
    The roads are a bore with not much scenic routes to keep you interested..

Comparing driving here in Costa Rica or when I was in Dominican Republic, both were a pleasure vs what I find a grind in Thailand.

Even Samui, which I enjoy riding the MB on, there can be parts of it that is congested

sounds like you haven't driven in the north?

sounds like you haven't driven in the north?
    Sounds like you aren't gonna believe me that I find it a grind 555

different driving style and roads in the north. i've done 150k kms around the place and have found the likes of main arterial N-S roads,phuket and the south,BKK area to be a pita.

so maybe i'm agreeing with you...but go ahead and answer a Q with a Q anyhow 555

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123