Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Length of holiday

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Length of holiday

I just took my shortest holiday in probably 13-14 years....only 6 days off work and 10 days total.

And I loved it. It was just the perfect amount of time for me.

When I go to Asia I usually take 2 1/2 weeks...about 18 days.
    I find I start wanting to go home around that 10 day mark.

Obviously everyone has different thoughts on what a holiday should be.....I don't think there is a wrong answer except not taking any holidays!

Just wondering what others prefer

On our desk, we can go up to 3 weeks without any fuss, any longer and it would take some convincing that it was a "trip of a lifetime"

A crazy stat I heard.....Americans left 658million vacation days not used in 2016!!!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Im finding 7 to 10 days is enough for me these days . I get worn out not getting proper sleep and drinking every day .
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    One way ticket.... If only...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    I love travelling but hate the amount of time that I am forced to spend in cars, taxi's, airport terminals and planes (No sleep for me) so the longer I can put between flying in and flying out the better.
    My goddaughter flew in to CT for five days from Christchurch NZ. that was Christchurch, Sydney, Bangkok, Dubai and then Cape Town. A mammoth amount of time, rather her than me....

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Completely the opposite here ... i wouldn't even view a 10 days as a holiday, i would call that a break ...55555

Now this sounds odd from a workaholic, but i have experienced 2 months in my former lives ..... and that's getting closer to a decent holiday

10 days is just a blimp ... our road trip last year to bryon was 2 weeks, man i was just settling in, and did not want to come back .... in fact the thought and stress of the break/holiday ending before i even leave can spoil the holiday/break itself ....5555555

Although i am getting better, these camping trips we leave Friday midday and return Monday midday .... is does feel like we have achieved a decent break ... but we are only driving 3 hours away, anything more or any flights i wouldn't bother ..
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    One way ticket.... If only...
    Yep spot on .... thats a real holiday and a real travel adventure .... no schedule travelling, my only regret in life ..55

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Completely the opposite here ... i wouldn't even view a 10 days as a holiday, i would call that a break ...55555

Now this sounds odd from a workaholic, but i have experienced 2 months in my former lives ..... and that's getting closer to a decent holiday

10 days is just a blimp ... our road trip last year to bryon was 2 weeks, man i was just settling in, and did not want to come back .... in fact the thought and stress of the break/holiday ending before i even leave can spoil the holiday/break itself ....5555555

Although i am getting better, these camping trips we leave Friday midday and return Monday midday .... is does feel like we have achieved a decent break ... but we are only driving 3 hours away, anything more or any flights i wouldn't bother ..
    When I had that extended break before moving to Canada it did kill holidays for me for quite a # of years after that. 2 weeks after having well over a year off just didn't cut it.

But as I got further away from that long break and back into everyday life I just like my life.

I was talking to OG and saying how after 10 days I start missing home and there is never a time I'm not happy to land home.
    I think I'm pretty lucky to feel that way....

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    I love travelling but hate the amount of time that I am forced to spend in cars, taxi's, airport terminals and planes (No sleep for me) so the longer I can put between flying in and flying out the better.
    My goddaughter flew in to CT for five days from Christchurch NZ. that was Christchurch, Sydney, Bangkok, Dubai and then Cape Town. A mammoth amount of time, rather her than me....
    I will be a much more frequent visitor to Maui going forward.
    It was wonderful to go to work on Friday...go home and get my stuff, head out and have some beers with friends, hop on the train to aiport and be in Hawaii by 9pm that night

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    When I had that extended break before moving to Canada it did kill holidays for me for quite a # of years after that. 2 weeks after having well over a year off just didn't cut it.

But as I got further away from that long break and back into everyday life I just like my life.

I was talking to OG and saying how after 10 days I start missing home and there is never a time I'm not happy to land home.
    I think I'm pretty lucky to feel that way....
    yeah the key is loving your current life ... anyone who hates there job, why would they want to come back ..

but i am in the middle and sometimes get frustrated of wanting to do every thing ...55, i friggen love coming to work , love my factory ... just enjoy all parts of it ...... but the thought of driving off to the distance with no reason to return just excites me no end ....

70 80 or 90 years ..... either way what a rip off !!! .. 5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Depends where I'm going ... if it's short haul a long weekend in a City Friday - Monday can be perfect , or a week in a beach resort- but if it's long haul a minimum of two weeks , ideally three - but not in one place I need to travel around to break up the trip , I can get bored after five days or a week in one place

Cadet silver
    Recently i had a 13 day holiday in Thailand.

Come the end, i was wishing it was longer. Was the longest vacation i've had in several years though. A pain back at work though as i'm still playing catch up.

Most f the time over the last few years has been spent on short, 3-4 day breaks. Little but often type of thing.

Now i've only got 7 days vacation left to last me till December. Yikes.

I'd like to pop back over again, perhaps in the Autumn.

Might only be for 8-9 days (total) max though. Factor in the length of time to get there (almost 24 hours door to door when going via Dubai) and it's not great. I might look at flying direct with Thai airways, though, they generally appear to be around 200 more for the flight. Money which could be put towards better things in Thailand 555.

Still, 7 days in Thailand is better than nothing lol.

Come my next annual review at work, i'm seriously thinking of asking for more holidays than the usual 2-3% pay rise.
    Rockitt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    yeah the key is loving your current life ... anyone who hates there job, why would they want to come back ..

but i am in the middle and sometimes get frustrated of wanting to do every thing ...55, i friggen love coming to work , love my factory ... just enjoy all parts of it ...... but the thought of driving off to the distance with no reason to return just excites me no end ....

70 80 or 90 years ..... either way what a rip off !!! .. 5555
    I really like my job and don't mind going to work I just wish I didn't have to be there as much.....if that makes sense

When Ao and I separated I talked to my work about going paying the guys that work for me a bigger % and I would take 3 weeks in Thailand every 2 months.
    But then I landed the biggest account in my career and have another one coming soon....
    It took 12 years to bring these 2 accounts in so not a good time to be out of office every 2 months.... although my right hand guy can handle it.
    I still get 6-7 weeks holiday plus all my biz travel so an out of the office at least 4, maybe 5 months of the year

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Awhile back when I went on holidays I just didn't want to come home especially on my boys trips. I would go away twice a year, once with the ex wife and once mountain biking with mates. Usually around 10 days.

Then I became single and sold my businesses I started traveling a lot more mainly to LOS, 4 or 5 times a year. I did this a few years and after 3 or 4 weeks of booze, late nights, sexy girls, motor bikes and mountain biking I was ready to come home .

These days life is a bit different, I love being in Perth, I love travelling with my wife but 2 weeks we are ready to come home. I'm off next month with some mates to Bali and then on my own to Chiang mai. I'm sure after two weeks I will be ready to come back.

I find 2 weeks is good for me, though this upcoming trip will be almost a month. Especially when in Asia I tend to get the shits with the people, the rip offs and the mayhem and long for normality and a decent steak. I found last time I was away (3 weeks) at the end I was hanging in my hotel room drinking and ready for my own bed. But we will see this time, I usually travel solo but this time I've got a mate coming for the Pattaya leg which should be great.
    Food fishing and furballs

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Mine is purely dictated by work. 7 business days is the longest I've managed to take off. This tends to set the tone for my holidays. Not much time to really settle in and relax, so they all turn into mashups.

I have 3 months of long service coming up next year. I might split it and go back-backing for a few weeks at a time. Really looking forward to that, it should be a completely different experience. Might have to dish out a big extra for nicer accommodation so I can stay away from other back packers as I don't like having lice, but I'm still looking forward to a quiet, unplanned stroll through multiple countries.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Back when I had my business I had 2 "breaks" and one long holiday each year....plus several long weekends....mostly 4 days at a time

The two "breaks" I would usually add on to business trips overseas...mostly about a week to 10 days...and usually city trips in europe or the USA...but later once I became single again they were mostly in Thailand with a stopover of 3 days in BKK on the way out and then a weekish down in HKT on dive trips

The long holiday was spent with my wife doing more adventurous trips like travelling across Europe and the USA, Africa, The Middle East, Maldives, Tahiti, Russia, Iceland, Vietnam/Cambodia, Japan, the old Yugoslavia etc etc and/or NZ to visit her family ...however once we broke up and I got in with lots of my dive buddies in Phuket/Similans etc I would head down there for two weks at a time and then go see somewhere else in Asia

The long weekends we usually spent at our beach house about 3 hours drive from our Sydney home...and or at our friends beach houses/mountain chalets...

I used to work very long hours back then....12-14 hour days and plenty of weekends...so it was important to keep a balance of breaks in there

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Back when I had my business I had 2 "breaks" and one long holiday each year....plus several long weekends....mostly 4 days at a time

The two "breaks" I would usually add on to business trips overseas...mostly about a week to 10 days...and usually city trips in europe or the USA...but later once I became single again they were mostly in Thailand with a stopover of 3 days in BKK on the way out and then a weekish down in HKT on dive trips

The long holiday was spent with my wife doing more adventurous trips like travelling across Europe and the USA, Africa, The Middle East, Maldives, Tahiti, Russia, Iceland, Vietnam/Cambodia, Japan, the old Yugoslavia etc etc and/or NZ to visit her family ...however once we broke up and I got in with lots of my dive buddies in Phuket/Similans etc I would head down there for two weks at a time and then go see somewhere else in Asia

The long weekends we usually spent at our beach house about 3 hours drive from our Sydney home...and or at our friends beach houses/mountain chalets...

I used to work very long hours back then....12-14 hour days and plenty of weekends...so it was important to keep a balance of breaks in there
    You were lucky we didn't have good laptops or widespread Internet back in those days. As a business owner it would have been hard to stay away.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    You were lucky we didn't have good laptops or widespread Internet back in those days. As a business owner it would have been hard to stay away.
    actually TBH once I was home I missed it for about one day....once I hit the desk that was it...the whole of "my relax" was gone....and it was only once we were about to land on te plane, about an hour out of BKK that I actually started to get a wee tingle of excitement about what I was about to experience again

I use to be able to compartmentalise my life very well back when my biz was going gangbusters...my wife would probably say too well...but you are right...lack of comms certainly helped me maintain that compartmentalisation
    Bacon likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    My last coupla paid leave holidays were 9 weeks.
    All my leave, rostered days off,Easter public holidays and 9 day's SL after phoning in with an unfortunate inner ear infection on the other side of the world
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Just been through this with Mrs. She said lets travel for six weeks. I said between 3-4 weeks you will miss all the familiar things of home and want to cut the holiday short. Ideally, 21-24 days for any holiday or tour, max.
    Even with the "Lotto win" you'd come back, plan another break and go again...555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast