The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Hitchhiking home from Berlin

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar

Hitchhiking home from Berlin

My son has decided to hitchhike home from Berlin ....

I decided to start a new thread here as Laims travels are over, and now Zacs trip has gone next level. Putting it on the open forum as it will include hitchhiking through thailand most likely.

At first it seemed like a radical plan, but in essence its way more clever than it looks. Travelling this way is true grass roots travelling, you can't get closer to the locals than this in any other from of travelling.

His plan is to hitchhike and couch-surf through Europe, central Asia, India and then into SE Asia ..... i am waiting on his exact route, but it will include the Balkans, Turkey, not sure how he will tip toe through central asia yet, to get to India, but then probably Bangladesh, Buma and on from there ... when he can't couch-surf he will be carrying a tent, he has options to fly over countries if he doesn't feel it right to go through

Yes his Mum doesn't want him to do this .. 555

He has done a massive amount of research, and there is still a lot of details to work out but this has being in his mind since he left India.

He arrived in Berlin 2 weeks back, and has already found accommodation, his original plan was to work in Berlin for 6 months and soak up up the music scene, but within 2 weeks, he has learnt its harder to get work without knowing German with very few English bars or restaurants to get a job with .... but his biggest thing is that itch to keep travelling. '

As a father ............. Holy fuck .. came as a bit of a surprise, but i have to support him and i believe he can pull this off.

He will keep the camera rolling.

Any advice or thoughts is very welcome at this point

Dears family and friends.
    As you know I recently moved to Berlin, and although it's an amazing city I can't help but want to continue to travel.
    Therefore I have decided to hitchhike my way home, I'll be leaving Berlin on June 1st and plan on hitchhiking from Europe through central Asia, India (again) and into South east Asia. From there I will fly back into Sydney most likely around Christmas or early January. It's gonna be crazzzyyy but so dam awesome. I'f you think our paths may cross flick me a message
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Alone? Would feel more comfortable if with a mate... and even more comfortable if he was heading west rather than east! ..55

It's unavoidable not to go through some pretty dodgy areas... good luck to him... I wouldn't fancy driving the route let alone hitchhiking.. but I'm risk-averse... 55

So via Russia or Turkey/ Iran? Either route would scare me... 55
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Very nice! I wouldn't be brave or social enough for that sort of thing. Plenty of young people do it though. I've read blogs by 20 something year old females that hitchhike their way across the world. As long as the research is done and care is taken all will be fine.

Just imagine what this will do for his confidence when he's back home. Employers also look very highly on this sort of experience.
    Sydney and Ian Forbes like this.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Alone? Would feel more comfortable if with a mate... and even more comfortable if he was heading west rather than east! ..55

It's unavoidable not to go through some pretty dodgy areas... good luck to him... I wouldn't fancy driving the route let alone hitchhiking.. but I'm risk-averse... 55

So via Russia or Turkey/ Iran? Either route would scare me... 55
    Alone

Turkey is first choice, rather than Russia, but he would probably have to fly from Istanbul into Kazakhstan to then cross into China, or into Pakistan for India

Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan are no go obviously

Kazakhstan is possible, it has open borders with China , but i am not sure if China was in his sights ..

Lahore is probably a better choice to get to India ... flights will be involved from turkey for sure

This part of the leg needs a lot of consideration

Actually Turkey Iran Pakistan India is probably possible, but time would be a issue
    Last edited by Sydney; 13th May 2017 at 19:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Alone

Turkey is first choice, rather than Russia, but he would probably have to fly from Istanbul into Kazakhstan to then cross into China, or into Pakistan for India

Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan are no go obviously

Kazakhstan is possible, it has open borders with China , but i am not sure if China was in his sights ..

Lahore is probably a better choice to get to India ... flights will be involved from turkey for sure

This part of the leg needs a lot of consideration

Actually Turkey Iran Pakistan India is probably possible, but time would be a issue
    OK if he is flying to avoid dodgy areas that would help... just looking at the map now trying to pick the safest route.... with half of the Ukraine out these days too... plus you'd want to avoid eastern Turkey.. Iran is ok, I'd be more worried about Afghanistan and Pakistan... maybe fly from Iran to India?... But does he want to go back to India?

OK if he is flying to avoid dodgy areas that would help... just looking at the map now trying to pick the safest route.... with half of the Ukraine out these days too... plus you'd want to avoid eastern Turkey.. Iran is ok, I'd be more worried about Afghanistan and Pakistan... maybe fly from Iran to India?... But does he want to go back to India?
    yeah he does ... he only did 5 weeks in India, to understand that country properly you need 12 months there ...5555

Iran would be so fascinating, looking on hitchwiki its definelty a go .... you just have to get the customs rights .... thumbs down not up as that is offensive ..555

Irans young population percentage wise is huge, they want to engage you .... you need to be careful, being invited back somewhere with underground internet can be a danger

and yeah Pakistani you need to be on a bus ... the police dont take to kindly to hitchhiking
    Last edited by Sydney; 13th May 2017 at 19:24.

I'd love to go to Iran too. And India is huge... did he get to the north this last time, up near Nepal?

I'd love to go to Iran too. And India is huge... did he get to the north this last time, up near Nepal?
    Didn't get to Nepal or Kashmir or anywhere near the Himalayas ... haven't you being watching his vids ? ..555

The problem with india is it takes soooooooooo long to get anywhere, thats why you need 12 months

People talk about Australia being huge and taking a day or two to drive places ... but thats the difference, you can rent a car and drive

India you have to spend a day booking your train or bus ticket, then you can spend another 12 hours on a train with bugger all sleep and not even get that far ...

Yes you can fly through India and see it all in 2 weeks, but have you seen it all ?

Zac fly into Dehi, but they wanted to make Gao for a reason, so went south, that kinda screwed with the most northern parts of india, but he knew he would be back .....
    Distantpeak likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Maybe he could look at going Instanbul or Pireus to India by ship?
    Loads of shipping companies looking for temp crew.. And quite and adventure..
    Distantpeak and Sydney like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Maybe he could look at going Instanbul or Pireus to India by ship?
    Loads of shipping companies looking for temp crew.. And quite and adventure..
    good call ... just finished reading about a french guy who did similar to skip countries and not pay for flights ....

He is looking at leaving in 2 weeks, plenty of time for more brainstorming .... i can see the next 6 months as another huge commitment in time on my behalf, i never expected over the last 3 odd months that i would be so involved in both of their travels through messenger, bouncing around ideas, liams health troubles etc ... but its all good, something i am enjoying alot ..

the help from this forum has also being invaluable

One trip that's always fascinated me is the trans Siberian rail journey.
    Stillearly likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    One trip that's always fascinated me is the trans Siberian rail journey.
    me too , on my list for retirement , travel across Europe first , then Russian - China - Thailand and then fly back

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    My son has decided to hitchhike home from Berlin ....

I decided to start a new thread here as Laims travels are over, and now Zacs trip has gone next level. Putting it on the open forum as it will include hitchhiking through thailand most likely.

At first it seemed like a radical plan, but in essence its way more clever than it looks. Travelling this way is true grass roots travelling, you can't get closer to the locals than this in any other from of travelling.

His plan is to hitchhike and couch-surf through Europe, central Asia, India and then into SE Asia ..... i am waiting on his exact route, but it will include the Balkans, Turkey, not sure how he will tip toe through central asia yet, to get to India, but then probably Bangladesh, Buma and on from there ... when he can't couch-surf he will be carrying a tent, he has options to fly over countries if he doesn't feel it right to go through

Yes his Mum doesn't want him to do this .. 555

He has done a massive amount of research, and there is still a lot of details to work out but this has being in his mind since he left India.

He arrived in Berlin 2 weeks back, and has already found accommodation, his original plan was to work in Berlin for 6 months and soak up up the music scene, but within 2 weeks, he has learnt its harder to get work without knowing German with very few English bars or restaurants to get a job with .... but his biggest thing is that itch to keep travelling. '

As a father ............. Holy fuck .. came as a bit of a surprise, but i have to support him and i believe he can pull this off.

He will keep the camera rolling.

Any advice or thoughts is very welcome at this point

Dears family and friends.
    As you know I recently moved to Berlin, and although it's an amazing city I can't help but want to continue to travel.
    Therefore I have decided to hitchhike my way home, I'll be leaving Berlin on June 1st and plan on hitchhiking from Europe through central Asia, India (again) and into South east Asia. From there I will fly back into Sydney most likely around Christmas or early January. It's gonna be crazzzyyy but so dam awesome. I'f you think our paths may cross flick me a message
    Can he fight - hard?
    He may need to ...
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Sydney
    Have you ever thought of joining him somewhere for a bit?

On one hand.... It would be a great experience for you both
    But you maybe just want him to do his own thing?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Sydney
    Have you ever thought of joining him somewhere for a bit?

On one hand.... It would be a great experience for you both
    But you maybe just want him to do his own thing?
    Be a good experience for JK too... running the business on her own for a while... 55

Not sure if anyone had being following Zac on YT, but his videos have being getting better the more he does.

He has reached Turkey now, so nearly 3 months to get from Berlin to Turkey, i think he has picked up about 45 rides, caught just a few short bus rides, mainly to get to decent hitchhiking spots, he has camped in some strange spots as well

Its being a hell of an adventure for him, the highs the lows are all part of it ...

Looking at it from his YT perceptive, i doubt i would have the balls to do it.

Albaina looks awesome ...

Moo Uaon and Stillearly like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar

Albaina looks awesome ...
    did some water skiing there one time. knew it was quite different when a navy gun ship came cruising by.
    quite a trip he's having.
    Sydney likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

He's doing well. Deserves way more subscribers, but that'll come with time I guess.
    Sydney likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast