The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: My observation on Brake Lamps on Thai vehicles

My observation on Brake Lamps on Thai vehicles

Here's my observation with brake lamps on Thai vehicles. 65% of the vehicles have perfectly working brake lamps. 30% of the vehicles have broken, but still working brake lamps. And 5% of the vehicles have no working brake lamps.

Something to consider if you're driving in Thailand.

Platinum
    One of our thai friends told us
    that many motorbike riders took the tail light bulb out so they cannot be followed home by ghosts.

It was at the time that they closed Kamala school for a week because of ghosts. We were here so we know that is true.

Is there any truth to the tail light story?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    More likely so that the rear number plates of the boy racers can't be read.
    Changone and Ian Forbes like this.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

I saw a few vehicles with multi flashing brake lights, probably a boy racer add on.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Hate the Christmas tree lighting on many Thai vehicles at night, makes me nervous..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    The percentages are certainly higher than in NZ.

I'm a good judge of speed and time. Brake lights don't usually worry me.

What p1sses me off is the lack of functioning indicators. Or the people who use them to let you know they have just made a turn.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I like the ones driving on a rural road that indicate they are following its bends with appropriate left and right signals.
    So nice of them to let you know they don't intend to run off !
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I like the ones driving on a rural road that indicate they are following its bends with appropriate left and right signals.
    So nice of them to let you know they don't intend to run off !
    Indicate right, cannot overtake,
    indicate left, safe to overtake?

^ yep. That's another one.
    The one described above is fairly rare.
    truck driver last month seemed to have his own secret code for letting me know when I could or couldn't overtake. Took no notice of him in the end... bye bye
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    But, Lew, you've ridden enough in Thailand to understand the "system" and know that there is no fucking system.

I'm a far better driver/rider now in Canada after having ridden extensively in Thailand for the past 15 years or more. I pay attention to all visible vehicles 100% of the time. I always expect the unexpected. I always try to give myself an escape route. I seldom drive beyond my vision and my ability to stop. After a while you get a sixth sense when someone is going to turn in front of you. I don't tail gate unless I'm in very slow moving heavy traffic where everyone is jockeying for position. Then it just becomes a game that I kind of enjoy. I sometimes wish I could ride my motorbike in Canada the same way I do in Thailand. But, if I did, then some cop would give me a ticket. In Canada and the USA we actually have police that patrol the roads and do the job they are paid to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Here's my understanding of L/R signals used in Thailand

Indicator R R R = Will turn right/Cannot overtake
    Indicator L L L = Will turn left/Can overtake
    Indicator LR LR LR = Many Thai people use this as a signal to go straight at a cross junction.
    Indicator LRLRLRLRLR = Caution ahead/Do not overtake. The white vans and trucks use this signal often. I noticed that they do it when they decelerate their vehicle. Sort of like a pre-warning before they hit the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post
    Here's my understanding of L/R signals used in Thailand

Indicator R R R = Will turn right/Cannot overtake
    Indicator L L L = Will turn left/Can overtake
    Indicator LR LR LR = Many Thai people use this as a signal to go straight at a cross junction.
    Indicator LRLRLRLRLR = Caution ahead/Do not overtake. The white vans and trucks use this signal often. I noticed that they do it when they decelerate their vehicle. Sort of like a pre-warning before they hit the brakes.
    A flashing light that is being manually operated continuously tells you SOMETHING is going to happen and you better watch out. Same as an oncoming vehicle in your lane flashing his headlights... HE IS NOT GOING TO STOP FOR YOU! So get the hell out of his way!

Flashing headlights threw me at first in the UK... back in NZ it meant get out of my fucken way (Though that has slowly changed in the last twenty years) whereas in the UK it is a gesture that you could have right of way...
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    ^^^^

Means cops around in OZ.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

^ and in LOS....

And in UK... if you flash a lot.. 55

But people flash all the time here... almost too polite... 55
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    ^^^^

Means cops around in OZ.
    In Canada it means radar and cops, or it means trouble up ahead. But in Canada we very seldom have vehicles coming at you in the oncoming lane on blind corners. In Thailand that happens all the time. It happens so often when I'm riding a motorbike that I just expect it. A whole string of those silver vans will just flash there head lights at me to say get off the road. They are more important than me. In Thailand, might is right so fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Thai Road Law:

Section 38. In giving light signal, the driver of vehicle or motorcycle shall follow the instructions as follows:
    (1) when the driver wishes to stop conveyance, he or she must give red tail light signal;
    (2)11 when the driver wishes to turn conveyance, change the lane, or overtake other conveyance, he or she must give amber turn signal, or white or amber front or sidelight blinking signal and red or amber blinking rear light showing the direction of turning, changing lane, or overtaking other conveyance;
    (3) when the driver wishes allow other conveyance to overtake his or her conveyance, he or she must give amber turn signal, or red or amber blinking rear light on the left side of conveyance.

Section 44. The driver who wishes to overtake in order to pass other conveyance on the road which is not divided into lane must give light signal by blinking front light repeatedly, or give right turning light signal, or give sound signal which is sufficiently loud for the front conveyance to give a responding signal undersection 37 (3) or section 38 (3). Then after considering that no obstruction is made to other overtaking conveyance, he or she may overtake other conveyance.17
    The overtaking must be done by the right side leaving an appropriate space from the overtaken conveyance. Then after having sufficiently pass by, he or she may keep driving on the left edge of the road.

Section 45. No driver shall overtake other conveyance by the left side of the overtaken conveyance, except in the following cases:
    (1) the conveyance which is going to be overtaken is turning right, or gives right turning signal;
    (2) such road is divided into two or more lanes of the same direction. The overtaking by the left side of the overtaken conveyance under (1)
    or (2) may be done only when there is no other conveyance following behind.

Section 46. No driver shall overtake other conveyance in the following cases:
    (1) when driving up a steep slope, bridge, or in a curve, except there is a traffic sign permitting to do so;
    (2) within thirty meters before reaching a pedestrian crossing, junction, roundabout, man-made traffic island, or crossing railway road;

Section 47. No driver shall overtake or pass other conveyance by overlapping the median line of the road marked, or where there is a traffic sign indicating dangerous zone, or careful zone on the road.
    In the case where there is a traffic obstruction on the left side of the road and there is enough space on the right side, the driver may avoid the obstruction and overlap the median line of the road marked by the traffic officer if it is not obstruct the traffic of the oncoming conveyance.

Section 48. No driver shall overtake or pass other conveyance by overlapping the bus lane, except in case there is a traffic obstruction on the road ahead, or when complying the order of the traffic officer; provided that driving in the bus lane may be done only when it is necessary.

Section 49. Upon having a traffic signal from the conveyance behind requesting to overtake, the driver of slowly driving conveyance, or slower than other conveyance in the same direction must allow the faster to overtake by giving a responding signal under section 37 (3) or section 38 (3) when the road ahead is safe and there is no oncoming conveyance rushing. And he or she must slow down and drive at the edge of the road allowing the overtaking conveyance to pass safely.

http://www.krisdika.go.th/wps/wcm/co...529e8b4221fda7

Indicating left to allow another vehicle to pass is required by law, taught (it was in the book I read before doing my Thai driving licence) and sometimes observed.
    Last edited by Mick; 20th May 2017 at 11:27.
    GGrass likes this.

Be fkd if I'm gonna pass because a Thai says it's ok though.
    Had some on crests of hills and around blind corners indicate that they can see it's clear. ...no thanks.
    I'll trust my own vision and judgement in that case.
    Zablive, Ian Forbes and TLandHim like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Be fkd if I'm gonna pass because a Thai says it's ok though.
    Had some on crests of hills and around blind corners indicate that they can see it's clear. ...no thanks.
    I'll trust my own vision and judgement in that case.
    Ah, Lew, but you are still alive. 555
    Gazmac likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast