Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree420Likes

Thread: Art + Architecture

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar

Art + Architecture

a recent thread which kind of got waylaid a bit onto the subject of museums got me thinking that we don't really have a thread rolling about BMs likes and dislikes of art + architecture

obviously with my background in architecture and design it is a pretty important part of my life...but does it capture the imagination of other BMs??...

I have been known to plan my holidays and business trips around my desire to see certain buildings, galleries and works of art...I once did a trip in the USA, mostly in the mid-west region where I saw at least one of Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings every day...another where I saw all of Bernini's Fountains in Rome in one day...and yet another where I visted MOMA, The Metropolitan Museum of Art and The Guggenheim in NYC all in one day as well

FLW is probably my favourite architect of all time...I loved how he was a pioneer in moving from classicism to modernity and just how human the scale of his work was....even on buildings like The Gugenhein in NYC

as far as art goes I am probably a bigger fan of modern abstract than of say the Impressionists, the Neoclassisists or The Renaissance..but I do love most periods

Do you guys enjoy art+architecture?...do you have a favourite building or painting/sculpture?...would you plan a holiday around visiting say Paris to take in The Louvre, The Eifel Tower, the mona lisa, Rodin's the thinker etc etc...

or is t just me...555

two of my favourites...albeit very different examples of modern architecture...both Guggenheim art museums....NYC Top and Bilbao (Spain below)

Ian Forbes and obes like this.

^Have you been to the Fallingwater house? For years I never believed it was real... 55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

would you prefer to see a painting like

THIS.....Boticelli's "The Birth of Venus"

OR

THIS...Jackson Pollock's "Blue Poles"

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    ^Have you been to the Fallingwater house? For years I never believed it was real... 55
    yes....many times...one of the buildings that made me fall in love with the work of FLW...it does have its issues with water ingress...but mostly from the ceiling...555

Quarky, Ian Forbes, obes and 1 others like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    would you prefer to see a painting like

.Boticelli's "The Birth"

OR

Jackson Pollock's "Blue poles?".
    I am a natural fan of classical art, have visited the Louvre and some lesser places.
    One thing you don't get from seeing these works on tv or online is their sheer size.
    That being said I'm equally impressed with the classical architecture on which some of these works are placed.
    Micealangelo's Sistine chapel works for example. Once again you marvel at his ability to create the work in situ.

When the Australian Government first bought "Blue Poles" I thought it was a waste of money, and what were they doing buying art anyway? It was probably one of the best investments any government has ever made.
    bacwaan likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    For me, art, architecture and design tells a tale of history and culture, and in that sense I love it.
    However, art merely for the sake of the art, with all the bla, bla that comes with it.. not so much is an understatement.

On my trips to Paris I tend to pass the Louvre (been once, and never a greater disappointment than seeing the Mona Lisa in real dimensions 555), but do enjoy walking the streets around the Sorbonne with the second hand bookshops and small cafe's..
    Or walking from Clichy to Pigalle and up to the sugar church on Montmartre, in 500 meters passing the Arab area, the sex area, the artists area to the ugliest church ever built.. So ugly that it is absolutely beautiful! 55 Especially late at night, when the park in front becomes the best bar in town!

Favorite artist would be da Vinci, not so much for his art art, but more for the rebel side and of course his anatomic drawings.
    Favorite building? Borobudur, prove that religions can unite in harmony..
    Quarky, bacwaan and Ian Forbes like this.

yes....many times...one of the buildings that made me fall in love with the work of FLW...it does have its issues with water ingress...but mostly from the ceiling...555
    Not a good roof then? I recently had my roof repaired.. damn easterly rain... 55

The pyramids at Giza always intrigued me... and when I saw them for real I have to say it blew me away more than any other man-made structure I have seen... just the shear magnitude and mystery of them... they must have been stunning when first built... would be impressive if built now, let alone then...

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post

Or walking from Clichy to Pigalle and up to the sugar church on Montmartre, in 500 meters passing the Arab area, the sex area, the artists area to the ugliest church ever built.. So ugly that it is absolutely beautiful! 55 Especially late at night, when the park in front becomes the best bar in town!
    Do you mean "Sacre Coeur" on Monmatre Khun Rak?....I have never heard it referred to as the "Sugar Church" before??....

have you been to "L'Orangerie" Art Museum in Paris built in an old train station...has a great collection of modern art from the Impressionists onwards and one of the best views back out to Montmatre/Sacre Coeur in all Paris

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    When the Australian Government first bought "Blue Poles" I thought it was a waste of money, and what were they doing buying art anyway? It was probably one of the best investments any government has ever made.
    One of the best Art Investments ever made....paid for itself many time over on admissions and loans alone...and the purchase price would have appreciated by a factor of tens over time..

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post

The pyramids at Giza always intrigued me... and when I saw them for real I have to say it blew me away more than any other man-made structure I have seen... just the shear magnitude and mystery of them... they must have been stunning when first built... would be impressive if built now, let alone then...
    yes...totally awe inspiring...along with The Valley of the Kings...

another favourite of mine from "ancient" times is Petra in Jordan...also mind blowing architecture..you just stand before it vin awe, scratching your head an wondering about the impossibility of it all and how man ever created such beauty

Quarky and Ian Forbes like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Do you mean "Sacre Coeur" on Monmatre Khun Rak?....I have never heard it referred to as the "Sugar Church" before??....

have you been to "L'Orangerie" Art Museum in Paris built in an old train station...has a great collection of modern art from the Impressionists onwards and one of the best views back out to Montmatre/Sacre Coeur in all Paris
    Yeah, I have heard it been called Sacre coeur.. 555

You mean Muse D'Orsay? Been there, like the contrast between the building (station, all practical in Bourbon style) and the impressionist paintings..

L'Orangerie was Marie-Antoinette's garden shed in the Tuileries.. It's now a museum, but never been..

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    You mean Muse D'Orsay? Been there, like the contrast between the building (station, all practical in Bourbon style) and the impressionist paintings..

L'Orangerie was Marie-Antoinette's garden shed in the Tuileries.. It's now a museum, but never been..
    ah yes I do Rak...funny thing is I have gotten those two joints mixed up before....and they are nothing alike....I think I webt to both in one day once...as is my want....555

ah...one more for the alzheimers thread...555
    RakThai likes this.

yes...totally awe inspiring...along with The Valley of the Kings...

another favourite of mine from "ancient" times is Petra in Jordan...also mind blowing architecture..you just stand before it vin awe, scratching your head an wondering about the impossibility of it all and how man ever created such beauty
    I have always wanted to go here too.... lets hope Jordan is never compromised like surrounding countries...
    bacwaan likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I am not really interested in Art but I do like old ruins.

I have been to Italy and Grease a few times back in 2007 to 2010 and loved it.

I really enjoyed my trip last year to Cambodia.

bacwaan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I am not really interested in Art but I do like old ruins.

I have been to Italy and Grease a few times back in 2007 to 2010 and loved it.

I really enjoyed my trip last year to Cambodia.

Angkor Wat is mind boggling when one looks at the scale - 180 sq/km's all up. And how was each stone (many tonnes) delivered on site?

Egypt's pyramids seem small in real life and left me disappointed compared with Angkor. Athens is a fascinating city of old and very ancient architecture dating back twice as far.
    Ian Forbes and OZZYGUY like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Its like standing on the great wall...Seen in pics and understand how long it is etc...But standing there is a completely different feeling that can only be experienced by being there.
    For me a cold winters day with a little haze and not a breath of wind. Standing on top of the rampart looking across the mountains all saw teeth and razor sharp while the great wall just meanders across the vista!
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Its like standing on the great wall...Seen in pics and understand how long it is etc...But standing there is a completely different feeling that can only be experienced by being there.
    For me a cold winters day with a little haze and not a breath of wind. Standing on top of the rampart looking across the mountains all saw teeth and razor sharp while the great wall just meanders across the vista!
    The great wall was awesome but even better was the terracotta solders in Xi'an. Actually China has some pretty cool stuff and history.
    wabbits likes this.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    The great wall was awesome but even better was the terracotta solders in Xi'an. Actually China has some pretty cool stuff and history.
    Would love to see them only if I had more time China is amazing.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Gaudi's Barcelona....what an amazing imagination....he has stamped his architectural signature all over Barcelona to a point where one cannot really imagine the city without thinking of one of his buildings...

OZZYGUY likes this.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast