Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Disastrous fire in Shepherds Bush hi-rise tower

Disastrous fire in Shepherds Bush hi-rise tower

Reports of people jumping and or climbing down bedsheets ... likely to be a massive loss of life.

Seems the landlord and associated local government agencies will be blamed > https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...ing-with-fire/
    Quarky and TLandHim like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

More photos and video here > https://twitter.com/Natalie_Oxford
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    ^^ Bloody terrible !

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    How the hell does a building burn that much??

I ignore the fire alarms in my building all the time, yikes

Horrendous. Aren't sprinkler systems supposed to stop this happening? Unless a huge gas explosion... hard to see why a fire should spread so quickly? Horrific to be stuck above the fire knowing you are fucked...

Apparently have been complaints about the fire risk at the building before this... I hope those responsible don't get away with it...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Platinum
    Sprinkler systems should control this and each floor should be fire sealed with fire proof doors.

We pay significant costs in apartment fees to have the sprinkler systems and pressures checked annually.

What a terrible thing to happen, can only hope everyone got out safely.

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Sprinkler systems should control this and each floor should be fire sealed with fire proof doors.

We pay significant costs in apartment fees to have the sprinkler systems and pressures checked annually.

What a terrible thing to happen, can only hope everyone got out safely.
    Read my link above and you'll realise the possible faults in these buildings include: passive ventilation to non-fire-rated stairwells instead of being sealed and pressurised with 2hr rated access doors, old wiring with inadequate load-handling, use of flammable materials in recent refurb and possibly no sprinkler system, certainly not one that worked.

In my last condo on the Gold Coast a Jap neighbour hung his shirts to dry in the lounge adjacent an open balcony door. He used the sprinkler head to hook the hangers on and wind activated the system. The volume of water discharged was phenomenal. His apartment had to be stripped and re-decorated.
    Cheers, Rob.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    A towering inferno, the firies would have their hands full with that.
    Lets just hope the stairwells were all accessible and that people got some kind of warning.

People seen jumping from the upper floors to save themselves. One witness on the radio was in the flat opposite where the fire started... on the 4th floor... he said in a kitchen in the flat which then spread out the window and set light to the outer cladding of the building...

The whole complex was recently re-furbished....

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Read my link above and you'll realise the possible faults in these buildings include: passive ventilation to non-fire-rated stairwells instead of being sealed and pressurised with 2hr rated access doors, old wiring with inadequate load-handling, use of flammable materials in recent refurb and possibly no sprinkler system, certainly not one that worked.

In my last condo on the Gold Coast a Jap neighbour hung his shirts to dry in the lounge adjacent an open balcony door. He used the sprinkler head to hook the hangers on and wind activated the system. The volume of water discharged was phenomenal. His apartment had to be stripped and re-decorated.
    Rob
    that link is astounding
    Now, lets see if there is justice and manslaughter charges laid

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Wasn't there a number of buildings recently identified in Melbourne, where the outer cladding (Cheap Chinese crap) was found to be highly flammable.

And yet, try getting a building/renovation permit as an average Joe !

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post

If like Vancouver where these corrupt developers throw up buildings so fast and cut corners, there is so much cheap material used in these buildings these days

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    A baby was caught by a member of the public after being dropped from a window as fire engulfed London's Grenfell Tower, a witness has said.
    Samira Lamrani said she saw a woman gesturing to the crowd below that she was about to drop her baby from "the ninth or 10th floor" of the building.
    A man ran forward and managed to catch the baby, she said.
    Six people have died in the blaze in north Kensington and police expect the numbers to rise.
    Ms Lamrani told the Press Association: "People were starting to appear at the windows, frantically banging and screaming.
    "The windows were slightly ajar - a woman was gesturing that she was about to throw her baby and if somebody could catch her baby.
    "Somebody did, a gentleman ran forward and managed to grab the baby."

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Looking at the aftermath, it's a miracle the building didn't collapse.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Reports right now are only 6 deaths, but considering the size of the building, how fast the fire turned into an inferno, and the time of day it started (most people home at the time), I would bet the death toll will be much, much higher. Smoke inhalation causes most deaths in major fires.

Building contractors are always looking for ways to cut corners, and lots of time it's easier to just pay off the building inspector. Add into the mix that reports are that the building was in an area of lower end accommodation for mixed ethnic minorities who don't always follow the rules, and you have a recipe for disaster. It's truly a tragic event.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Reports right now are only 6 deaths, but considering the size of the building, how fast the fire turned into an inferno, and the time of day it started (most people home at the time), I would bet the death toll will be much, much higher. Smoke inhalation causes most deaths in major fires.

Building contractors are always looking for ways to cut corners, and lots of time it's easier to just pay off the building inspector. Add into the mix that reports are that the building was in an area of lower end accommodation for mixed ethnic minorities who don't always follow the rules, and you have a recipe for disaster. It's truly a tragic event.
    12 at moment , but yes will be much higher

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Fuck me, London again. These poor people can't get a break.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

17 dead, 17 more critical and many still missing... some of them followed the standard advice to stay in their flat in the event of a fire....

London fire: Appeals for missing relatives - BBC News

The family of 66-year-old retired lorry driver Tony Disson told the BBC he lived on the 22nd floor of Grenfell Tower.
    Mr Disson, who has lived in the property for eight years, phoned his son at 03:30 BST and said he was being told to stay in his flat.

Sounds like it was a fridge fire. Fridge was next to an open window and the fire got outside onto the external cladding... the firemen put out the fridge fire and thought all was ok... they didn't realise it seems that the fire had already spread outside... until someone outside spotted it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast