Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Road construction / reconstruction

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar

Road construction / reconstruction

As you know I live in a tiny over-organized country, and though the tax system is probably the most organized and sneaky in the world, it's hard to show or even explain..

Our roads however are very visible and changing rapidly.

10 years ago no one had even heard of the word ecoduct, but now any square kilometer of forestland is connected over the highways with other square kilometers of forest. I bet Holland has more ecoducts now than the whole of Thailand has viaducts.. 55 The purpose, for those who wonder, is to allow foxes and rabbits to cross the highway without dying. The costs? You don't want to know! But we have the tax system that provides for the rabbits safe passage...

Road signaling systems do however work brilliantly! The way it works is that there are loops in the road that register average speed. If the speed in a section is low (bellow 70 km/h) it will automatically sign a speed limit in the section before that. And the newer systems even register a car standing on the hard shoulder and will close of a lane in the section before. Almost all of Holland is now covered with this system, and the biggest risk is when it does not exist on the road you are on, or if it is malfunctioning. Because I (and I assume many others) have come to rely on it, no need to slow down unless you see the blinking light ahead..

And now they are reconstructing all major highway intersections from the "Clover-leave" model to the "Clover-turbine" model.. Idea is not to have streams of cars weaving, but give each direction a lane with overpasses.
    This is the one closest to my home, before and after:

Newest thing, and what I really have difficulty adapting to is variable speed limits which many highways have now. Depending on the traffic, the number on lanes opened, the time of day, and some times because of weather conditions the maximum speed can be 50km/h, 70 km/h, 90 km/h, 100 km/h, 120 km/h or 130 km/h.. And because of the mentioned tax systems we have speed camera's, trajectory measuring systems and traffic cops on every highway..
    Now I don't want to speed, but I also don't want to be overtaken by everyone on the road, and I have somewhere to go and sometime to get there.. But half the time I am oblivious to what the maximum speed is.. and will have to look hard to find it.. 555

Do you have these things in your country? Do they function?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    LA was trying to put in an overpass for wildlife

They also have a pay line that you pay extra to avoid traffic, which seems mercenary to me
    Tingtong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    LA was trying to put in an overpass for wildlife

They also have a pay line that you pay extra to avoid traffic, which seems mercenary to me
    We still have a few toll bridges, but government is trying to buy those privately built things..
    France has a full private (toll) highway system, best road ever, but comes at a price..

Here we have bus lanes, soo frustrating.. A free and empty lane only used by a bus every 30 minutes... (now taxi's can use it too).

Smart motorways they call them here... also we have "average speed limits" for roadworks areas... but a lot of people don't seem to understand what "average" means... must be a big revenue earner!
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Australia has speed cameras, red light cameras, radar patrols on every highway and every means of raising revenue to spend on Government salaries and retirement packages ... bugger all goes back into road or traffic improvement. At least Rak can see where his taxes are spent.
    Tingtong and Cuzzy like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Australia has speed cameras, red light cameras, radar patrols on every highway and every means of raising revenue to spend on Government salaries and retirement packages ... bugger all goes back into road or traffic improvement. At least Rak can see where his taxes are spent.
    Hmm.. You think?

Any car here pays road tax, depending on the weight of the vehicle. Mine is a 1500kg diesel, and road tax works out about 120€ a month..
    Then we pay excise-duty (this is before VAT, so the actually charge VAT over the excise, which is ridiculous!), which is 0.77 euro per liter of petrol, 0.48 euro for diesel...
    My car insurance is 650€ per year, but that is with 85% no claim discount (20+ years without an insurance claim), so for most it will be considerably higher...

I'll take your fines, you can have our taxes! 555

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Hmm.. You think?

Any car here pays road tax, depending on the weight of the vehicle. Mine is a 1500kg diesel, and road tax works out about 120€ a month..
    Then we pay excise-duty (this is before VAT, so the actually charge VAT over the excise, which is ridiculous!), which is 0.77 euro per liter of petrol, 0.48 euro for diesel...
    My car insurance is 650€ per year, but that is with 85% no claim discount (20+ years without an insurance claim), so for most it will be considerably higher...

I'll take your fines, you can have our taxes! 555
    Australia has all those same taxes, Erik.

Speeding penalties are ludicrous. I understand 1kmph over the limit in some States, eg Victoria qualifies for a fine. Queensland penalties below:-
    Penalty set (km/h over speed limit) First offence Second offence (within a year)
    Demerit point penalty Monetary penalty Demerit point penalty Monetary penalty
    21-30km/h 4 points $420 8 points $420
    31-40km/h 6 points $588 12 points $588
    41km/h and above 8 points and 6 months suspension $1,177 16 points and 6 months suspension $1,177
    An elderly female acquaintance was pinged twice in one day passing a school long after kids had gone home, had forgotten about the time/speed restriction and paid $840 in fines which was bad enough but the 8 points loss was a severe blow to an otherwise safe and sedate driver.

No wonder many of my friends use radar detectors with laser jamming.

On topic though, successive State and Federal governments promise new and improved roads but usually fail to deliver. Or the delivery is so delayed it's a constant catch-up game.

Holland being small and flat obviously makes it easier to build new and improve roads but having seen what countries like Thailand can do makes Australia look like a 3rd world country in highway development.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    At least WAPOL see's it our way occasionally...apparently...

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/polic...-ng-b88531832z

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    nothing like that here ...

https://vimeo.com/225588785

So how did you get that to embed? ..55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    So how did you get that to embed? ..55
    just fixed my settings
    Quarky likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    Where I live the city council have been installing average speed cameras on many routes into the city. One set being fitted to a dual carriageway section close to my house. They have reduced the speed from 40 down to 30mph which seems painfully slow for a dual carriageway. You really have to concentrate to stay below the new limit. Anyway, after six months use it was revealed that nobody had ever received a fine, prompting suspicion that these camera have never been 'live'. So far the council have refused to confirm this. It just shows that these average speed cameras slow people down, whether they are switched on or not.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ camera signs on the 22 Udon Thani-Sakhon Nakhon have slowed traffic down too.

now places that i did 100 in and are posted 50 so have to cool it a bit even though it has become 4 lane dual carriage way recently.
    haven't seen a camera though,just the sign but....a "sign" of the times.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 23rd July 2017 at 17:57.
    Rockitt likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Invite Ian Forbes over for a couple of weeks. He'll sort out your rabbit problem.

No need for photos Ian, well use our imagination this time .
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Invite Ian Forbes over for a couple of weeks. He'll sort out your rabbit problem.

No need for photos Ian, well use our imagination this time .
    The Dutch foxes must be dumbfcks.
    The only ones who don't clean up the rabbits.
    Are they Liberals 555!
    Nomad likes this.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    The Dutch foxes must be dumbfcks.
    The only ones who don't clean up the rabbits.
    Are they Liberals 555!
    Not many left.. I think they all immigrated to Australia.. 55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Where I live we just have construction everywhere and you have to drive 4 kilometers out of your way just to go a few hundred meters. They plunk in those roundabouts with pretty flowers in the center, and then a month later tear it all up to put in a new sewer or water drain. The one that is currently being done near where I live has been going on for two months and it's not close to being finished. My taxes went up another $300 though, and if they weren't paid on time I would have been charged an additional $200.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    vlcsnap-2015-02-09-15h30m45s156.jpg

Rak;

I find your post fascinating as it relates to the type of work that I have been doing for almost 20 years now ...

Most of our open roads in Australia are far behind yours in the automated systems you describe ... our road tunnels (only about 20 in the entire country) and some of our Tollways probably come close with their variable speed limits and automatic incident detection systems and CCTV monitoring but of course, it is all a matter of scale and cost ...

The Main Roads traffic centre in Perth has cameras showing live traffic images from Bunbury and Karratha ... those towns are 1,700 km apart and no one thinks it is strange .... imagine the cost of installing the systems you describe between those two points alone ...

One of the stupidest things happening here in WA traffic wise at the moment is the push by the Government to introduce "Slow Mo" or slow movement laws that direct all traffic passing an emergency vehicle to slow to 25 kph if the emergency

vehicle is halted on the roadside with its emergency (blue and red) lights flashing .... NONE of the emergency services want this as it is ludicrously dangerous to have some - and it will be some - traffic travelling in adjoining lanes suddenly dropping their speed by up to 80 kph .... but the Government thinks it is a good idea and are pushing forward ... the laws already exist in Eastern States so must be a good idea .....
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I don't mind slowing to 25kph for an emergency vehicle provided that I get at least 5km notice, plus graded signed slowdowns every 1km and immediate advice following that the speed limit is lîfted.

Probably only take about 12 guys 5-6 hours apiece on overtime (I hope), to make sure each instance is done properly.... safety first.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    I don't mind slowing to 25kph for an emergency vehicle provided that I get at least 5km notice, plus graded signed slowdowns every 1km and immediate advice following that the speed limit is lîfted.

Probably only take about 12 guys 5-6 hours apiece on overtime (I hope), to make sure each instance is done properly.... safety first.
    C'mon - a tree branch on the road is all you'll get here to warn of an obstruction ahead555!
    kaptainrob, Ian Forbes and Cuzzy like this.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast