Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Unloading some thoughts

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Just be glad all you lot who will be retired by then. 555
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Just be glad all you lot who will be retired by then. 555
    Retired? I can't get any more tired than I already am. I think I'll take a nap. 55

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Let's turn this around and assume you are right! There is no free will whatsoever.. and all the world is aware of this.

Then, should there be any laws? could people be accountable fro what they say or do? They have no choice in the first place, so will always will do what their driving force tells them to do..
    Should people "make an effort"? at anything? Since they do not control their own faith, why try?
    Of course this will quickly lead to the end of democracy and world-wide anarchy, but hey, that was always going to happen anyways..

So, what I am saying, is even when you are 100% right, I still don't like the taught of promoting this.
    And in my selfish life I need a reason for living, a purpose for getting up in the morning, some sort of cause to spent my day on..
    And I definitely need to be able to tell my children that they have choices in life! That they can create their own future!

So yes, I chose my ignorance happily and deliberately, because it improves the quality of my and my children's lives!
    You need to clarify what you mean by "choice"

Determinism (no free will) doesn't mean you don't have a choice (taking the simplest definition of choice); it's just that the choice depends upon prior causes. It doesn't make them any less important, and doesn't mean the future is predetermined.
    Last edited by phaisan; 8th January 2018 at 23:50.

Banned
    For myself I used the same in meditation for many years. Your "illusion of free-will" is almost without exception focused on the outcome, the effect.
    And in this perspective I agree, you can not control the outcome, you cannot control half of the causes. Many things, actions, conditions are predetermined without any influence from yourself.
    It is a waste of time to try and control these or even worry about them. They are simply out of your grasp.

In combination with meditation on Emptiness I reached a slippery slope..
    Where trying seemed not worthwhile anymore, because too much was out of control and the energy it took to even try didn't seem worthwhile..
    You call it determinism, I call it fatalism.. For this reason alone I stopped meditation for some time..
    Determinism and fatalism are 2 different things.

Determinism "the idea that every event is necessitated by antecedent events and conditions together with the laws of nature”

Where Fatalism is the idea that everything is fated to happen, and people have no control over their future, it has arbitrary power, and need not follow any causal or otherwise deterministic laws.

What I think you mean instead of fatalism is Nihilism, which basically means life has no meaning.

So yes, for me it was dangerous and not acceptable..
    And I refound myself in the notion that actions matter. That even though you can not determine the outcome or effect,
    You have the right and the obligation to create positive causes.
    And since there really is not limit to the extend of cause and effects, whatever causes you create are eternal.

Call me a fool or a romantic and I don't care.
    It is a very dangerous concept for most due to them not understanding it fully which can lead to both Fatalism and Nihilism. That's why Buddhist refer to understanding and acknowledging it completely as becoming enlightened or if you prefer Nietzsche "human creative abilities could fully blossom and humanity could begin to acknowledge the value of the world"

But I know for a fact that I could have posted a quick semi-witty response several hours ago that would have stirred some people up..
    Or I took some time and post a balances response and some people might even understand me..

Simple choice, better future!
    If we don’t have free will, all our actions are determined and we are assumed not to be free; on the other hand, if we do have free will, our actions are presumed to be random and as such we are not free because we had no part in controlling what happens.

So how can you make a free choice
    Quarky likes this.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314