Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Unloading some thoughts

Unloading some thoughts

Have I ever told you about my 'translator career'?

You see, after I quit, I decided to try out as a freelance translator. I know there are always people who could use a good translator. So I sent my resume to some agencies about my ability to translate three languages freely, which I demonstrated by making my resume in three languages...

And within the first week, I got a call. It was a dinner meeting, between Thais and Koreans. I was to help them chit chat over dinner. They offered 3000, I asked for 4000, and we agreed.

On the day of the assignment, which was to take place in one of the 6 star hotel in Bangkok, I got a call from my client, requesting I wear suit for the job, which hinted me to be fully prepared.

I went to the meeting place 30 minutes earlier, to scout the place, and to my surprise, there were already people from client checking out the room. They were secretaries. Making seating arrangements, and dinner choices, etc etc. They've summoned the restaurant manager to prepare everything for the arrival of VIPs. And they briefed me on who's coming, and I was shocked to find that some very well known Thai politicians and high ranking government officers were coming to this meeting. The secretaries gave me a seating arrangement, which showed 10 Thais, 2 Koreans, and 1 'interpreter'. They put me right next to the Korean delegate, and right across the table from the Thai leader of the group. And busily the secretaries went about ordering various orders to the manager and the waitresses. As I watched them work, I felt like I became a secret agent. A body guard. Check out if there're any bombs under the table.

When the dinner began, the Thai leader gave the welcome speech, which I quickly translated to Korean. Then the Korean delegate offered a toast, and gave a speech, which I translated to Thai language, and everyone lifted their wine glasses in unison.

The first part of the dinner was very stiff, but thanks to both sides being able to speak English, they could converse between themselves without much need for interpreter. But for some parts which needed translation, I was right there to translate. And half way through the dinner, after 3-4 glasses of very expensive red wine, things got a lot lighter. Chit chat, jokes, stories broke out in groups, and suddenly the leader of Thai group asked me a question,

"Mr. Chang, I was wondering, who are you? I know you're the interpreter, but really, who are you?"

And I must admit, I was very shaken by the question, because for me, it is one of the most difficult question to answer. Who am I.

"I'm the interpreter, professor. I am a professional interpreter."

But the professor continued,

"Yes, I can see that, but when you're not translating, what do you do?"

I didn't want to make the professor impatient, so I replied,

"I'm actually running a small textile factory in Nakornpathom. But the business is boring so I decided to try out new career, as a translator. Actually this is my first day at work. I hope you are pleased with my service so far..."

And everyone on the table said,

"You're doing a good job, Mr. Chang!"
    "Your Thai is perfect. Like a native."

The Korean delegate also commented I was doing a good job. I took the moment to thank everyone for their kind interest, and apologized if I said anything wrong. Everyone said never mind.

And the professor said,

"If you do your job like this, I foresee you will have many clients in the future."

I thanked him with a polite wai and everyone was pleased.

Back to dinner, and when everything was finished, my assignment was complete, and I came off with 4000 Baht in my pocket.

--

During the dinner, there was a talk about a group of Thai lawyers, visiting Korea for educational purpose. The Korean delegate will invite the Thai lawyers and they will be given a tour/seminar regarding the Korean law system.

The talk has materialized, and now there is a group of Thai lawyers, who will be visiting Korea for 5 days. And they want me to go with them. On top of my daily service fee, they will give me 12,000 Baht per day, and they will give me 4 days' wage because 1 day was spent mostly on traveling. So with the total of 48000 Baht, I have to take care of my air ticket, hotel, and other personal expenses. Subways... taxis... etc.

My normal fee is 6000 Baht per day (8 hours). But that's when the job takes place in Bangkok or around Bangkok. If we have to go oversea, the price is higher. I'm thinking I should ask for at least 12,000 Baht per day. But I'm willing to go as low as 10,000. At least I come off with 40K after the job, I'll take it.

---

I don't know why I'm telling you all these... when it is nothing but hot air. Has not fully materialized. We need to finalize our talk. The client has not yet confirmed the assignment, it is in the process of being authorized.

The government... they do everything slow.
    Quarky, Moo Uaon and Ian Forbes like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Good for you Khun GG..it sounds like you may well have found a bright new lucrative career in this translator caper..I wish you well
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Sounds like a great opportunity. Put the garlic on hold.

Travel, mingle with interesting people and talk for a living? It's a no brainer.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ don't forget the hoochie coochie girls.!
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Sounds like a great opportunity. Put the garlic on hold.

Travel, mingle with interesting people and talk for a living? It's a no brainer.
    Hold on a sec Bacon!
    We haven't confirmed if GG will be working 12hrs a day and for his own business.........and mingling certainly doesn't count! Or you are a lazy c*nt! 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GGrass View Post

And they want me to go with them. On top of my daily service fee, they will give me 12,000 Baht per day, and they will give me 4 days' wage because 1 day was spent mostly on traveling. So with the total of 48000 Baht, I have to take care of my air ticket, hotel, and other personal expenses. Subways... taxis... etc.

My normal fee is 6000 Baht per day (8 hours). But that's when the job takes place in Bangkok or around Bangkok. If we have to go oversea, the price is higher. I'm thinking I should ask for at least 12,000 Baht per day. But I'm willing to go as low as 10,000. At least I come off with 40K after the job, I'll take it.

Your fees,

GG I started a new job a month ago, I was to work in Perth but as of last week they now want me to work Aust wide and they are talking maybe NZ.

I am discussing a new fee and my travel expenses will be on top of the fee at what ever it cost me. I would suggest this is how you may want to look at it.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Hold on a sec Bacon!
    We haven't confirmed if GG will be working 12hrs a day and for his own business.........and mingling certainly doesn't count! Or you are a lazy c*nt! 555
    Cross threading again.
    You don't get it and probably never will.
    Classic signs of a drug addict 555!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

The garlic idea will be the long term project. It will need at least few years of preparation before it materializes.

As for the translator act, it's immediate. It's something I can do to right now to support myself.
    Quarky, Zablive and Ian Forbes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Cross threading again.
    You don't get it and probably never will.
    Classic signs of a drug addict 555!
    Just a jealous old man who had to work 12hr days 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Just a jealous old man who had to work 12hr days 555
    My own business - my choice.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

I can imagine it's very different when it's your own business. I work 12 hour days as well, but it's still my choice cause I love working. I do feel the sting of making other fuckers rich, but my own fault for not having the balls to start my own venture.

I still do come across the old mindset of "you gotta bust your ass for god and country" stuff though. It has deep roots in serfdom which were later reinforced by the industrial revolution and both world wars, which essentially created slaves that whip themselves. Not a bad ideal at all though, absolutely commendable, but hard to uphold unless you're uneducated or socially unaware. When you look at all the heads in the trough, from fat, overpaid politicians and their insane spending, to the financial sector that's bleeding us dry. It's difficult enough to hold back the urge to smash the entire system, much less uphold it's hollow ideals.
    Last edited by Bacon; 13th August 2017 at 13:37.
    Zablive and Ian Forbes like this.

I hope he does. If you've lived to be Baz's age you've probably paid enough tax to support multiple families on the dole. The government would owe him big time.

He's still a grumpy old fecker though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I hope he does. If you've lived to be Baz's age you've probably paid enough tax to support multiple families on the dole. The government would owe him big time.
    Australia's welfare entitlement mentality is odd, maybe itís from the convict past?

Welfare even in Australia is meant to be a safety net for poor and disadvantage, the people who can't even help themselves, so the government steps in to help them.

I pity people who can't manage their own lives that they need the government to step in to do it for them.

Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    Australia's welfare entitlement mentality is odd, maybe it’s from the convict past?

Welfare even in Australia is meant to be a safety net for poor and disadvantage, the people who can't even help themselves, so the government steps in to help them.

I pity people who can't manage their own lives that they need the government to step in to do it for them.
    Isn't a pension the same as the US social security?
    So you would have paid into it to receive it at a later time.

That isn't welfare, that's getting your money back

Am I wrong on that?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar

Am I wrong on that?
    Don't know..
    But He's just trying to provoke Baz, that's for sure..

Am I wrong on that?
    an age pension in Australia is paid to Australian Citizens/retirees/people over 65 (it has increased recently to 67 iirc) who meet the criteria...it is means tested so you cannot be still wotrking, have lumps of cash in the bank. other investments etc, but you can own your own house to an unlimited value provided it is also your place of residence (many people who receive it have a house worth $millions) plus have other "personal" assets including expensive cars, jewellery etc and still meet the criteria...

It is not only available to people who have "paid in" like the US system...there is no paying in like a superannuation or insurance scheme...they are separate funds...it is paid out via general income received via the tax system earmarked for the social security budget...it is available to all who meet the criteria...even those who have been some form of welfare prior to reaching the conditions/age

I really don't see any stigma attached to it....it was set up to cater for people in their retirement before the Australian Superanuation schemes were introduced...and people paid their tax expecting to be able to take advantage of it upon their retirement
    Quarky, jontymate, Zablive and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    an age pension in Australia is paid to Australian Citizens/retirees/people over 65 (it has increased recently to 67 iirc) who meet the criteria...it is means tested so you cannot be still wotrking, have lumps of cash in the bank. other investments etc, but you can own your own house to an unlimited value provided it is also your place of residence (many people who receive it have a house worth $millions) plus have other "personal" assets including expensive cars, jewellery etc and still meet the criteria...

It is not only available to people who have "paid in" like the US system...there is no paying in like a superannuation or insurance scheme...they are separate funds...it is paid out via general income received via the tax system earmarked for the social security budget...it is available to all who meet the criteria...even those who have been some form of welfare prior to reaching the conditions/age

I really don't see any stigma attached to it....it was set up to cater for people in their retirement before the Australian Superanuation schemes were introduced...and people paid their tax expecting to be able to take advantage of it upon their retirement
    So it's not an exact tax, like out SS tax/contribution?

So if that's the case and it is means tested..... technically it is a welfare

I don't think there should be a stigma attached to it, but it is a welfare

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Apart from the technicalities, how would any of us feel when their income situation is discussed on an open forum?
    especially when words like "fraud" are included?

I for one think this is behavior beneath the lowest level of acceptance..
    Zablive and Ian Forbes like this.

^ TBH I don' think the majority of Australians see it as "welfare"....it is more seen as an entitlement you are given upon retirement...the means test, age increase and many of the other conditions have been added to it over time as the Superannuation Schemes have been introduced and grown in an attempt to phase the AP out...

For people 70+ now those super schemes did not really exist in their current format for most of their working lives..all they had was the Age Pension to rely upon in retirement..at present about 65% of people over 65 years of age receive some kind of pension from the Govt...the vast majority of those are Aged Pensioners...
    Last edited by bacwaan; 14th August 2017 at 07:08.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast