Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Bacon
  • 4 Post By bacwaan
  • 1 Post By wabbits

Thread: Different cultures at home

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Different cultures at home

I thought this would be a good discussion:

Now I don't know if other countries would be similar to the US because the US is so big.
    We all seem to have a love of experiencing new cultures, but usually in foreign countries.

Me and Dupree and another friend were in Portland, Oregon for a long weekend.
    And when thinking about it, Portland is as much a different culture than being in a different country, somewhat.
    Obviously there are a lot of similarities.
    But the people are vastly different than say NYC or Boston.

You can travel around the US and find vastly different cultures in different parts of the country.
    Different types of food, sometimes vastly different.
    And the people can be very different.

Again I don't know if that applies to other countries because of the size.

But it makes me want to get to a lot of different places in the US I haven't been:

I've been trying to plan a trip down South to Tennessee.
    My nephew now lives in Nashville.
    I'd love to combine a trip to Nashville with seeing Chattanooga TN, and Savannah Georgia.

I also really want to see more of Idaho and want to go to Montana.
    I can do this trip in a 5-6 day driving trip from Vancouver

PS..... I'm still so jealous of the guys who live in UK/Europe. They can travel to all these countries pretty easy. Hell they can travel 2 hours by train and be in a completely different country and culture.
    I'd be so poor I'd travel every weekend! 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    A couple of mates of mine were absolutely blown away by the US last year. Especially the friendliness and hospitality of the people. And this is one of the things they talked about. They said you go across state lines and it's like moving to a different country. Memphis Tennessee was one of the places they visited as well. They got killer BBQ apparently.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

As I understand it,

US is made up of many different culture. So it's not surprising to find cultural varieties within the US. But say... Australia. Almost as big as US in terms of land mass, but the cultural diversity is very little. Perhaps it's because Australia is found upon single source, the UK.

But if you look at smaller countries, such as Thailand, although it is also made from many different cultures, because of the proximity among different cultures, they integrate and become Thai culture.

Something like that. I don't know...

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Hmmmm..if you go around the various suburbs of Sydney you will find many and varied cultures all within its boundaries...

We have a very large Chinatown in Central Sydney where you will find Chinese people are the dominant race and their language is largely spoken...their food and culture is widely on display and loads of Australians come to visit to partake in that environment..there are millions of people in AUS of Chinese/Asian heritage

Just next door is ThaiTown which is smaller but still covers a few blocks...I love this area when I am back as I enjoy blowing the shopkeepers (and other Thai frequenters) away with my pretty rudimentary Thai...if you head out to Newtown you will find a large perecentage of Thais on the streets and living there as well

Head out to Cabramatta and you will find the Vietnamese with their own town and centre...around Auburn the Lebanese Centre of Sydney with their own mosques and restaurants/culture...near where I used to live in the Eastern Suburbs of Double Bay/Vaucluse/Bondi is the Jewish sector with Synagogues, Jewish schools cultural Halls etc etc....The Italians just about own Leichardt...and the list goes on for Croations, Serbs, Hungarians, Spanish, etc....we even have a "Little Korea" just for you Khun GG...555

Australia may have been originally settled by the Brits way back with the first fleet but in the 20th Century there was mass imigration from all around the world...it is truly and deeply a multi-cultural country these days
    Last edited by bacwaan; 16th August 2017 at 20:24.
    PeteGill, Zablive, OZZYGUY and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Hmmmm..if you go around the various suburbs of Sydney you will find many and varied cultures all within its boundaries...

We have a very large Chinatown in Central Sydney where you will find Chinese people are the dominant race and their language is largely spoken...their food and culture is widely on display and loads of Australians come to visit to partake in that environment..there are millions of people in AUS of Chinese/Asian heritage

Just next door is ThaiTown which is smaller but still covers a few blocks...I love this area when I am back as I enjoy blowing the shopkeepers (and other Thai frequenters) away with my pretty rudimentary Thai...if you head out to Newtown you will find a large perecentage of Thais on the streets and living there as well

Head out to Cabramatta and you will find the Vietnamese with their own town and centre...around Auburn the Lebanese Centre of Sydney with their own mosques and restaurants/culture...near where I used to live in the Eastern Suburbs of Double Bay/Vaucluse/Bondi is the Jewish sector with Synagogues, Jewish schools cultural Halls etc etc....The Italians just about own Leichardt...and the list goes on for Croations, Serbs, Hungarians, Spanish, etc....we even have a "Little Korea" just for you Khun GG...555

Australia may have been originally settled by the Brits way back with the first fleet but in the 20th Century there was mass imigration from all around the world...it is truly and deeply a multi-cultural country these days
    I was actually more referring to culture "amongst our own" sort of

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post

Coming from NZ in the middle 80s to Melbourne it was a culture shock and I soon realised how provincial we were the Greek,Italian, Chinese, Vietnamese were everywhere and the food...where were these amazing and strange things from.
    Dot sure if it is true but they say Melbourne is the largest Greek city outside of Athens.
    Last edited by wabbits; 17th August 2017 at 00:42.
    bacwaan likes this.

^ Melbourne has the largest Greek population of any city in the World - outside of Greece

[QUOTE=MarcTwoSix;336074]I was actually more referring to culture "amongst our own" sort of[/QUOTE ]

so what is "our own"....555

The the main differences in Cities/States in the USA is due to who/which country's emmigres settled there and the cuture they bought with them from my experience in my travels there...

i guess climate does play some role in that...so say Florida vs Minnesota...do we not count the Latinos and Jewish retirees when we think of Miami vs the Germanic sausage, cheese and beer roots of Wisconsin/Minesota?...I guess people were attracted to a similar climate in the USA as they had "back home"..but it is what they bought with them that has changed the "culture"

hard to tear them apart...
    Last edited by bacwaan; 17th August 2017 at 01:33.

[QUOTE=bacwaan;336085]
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I was actually more referring to culture "amongst our own" sort of[/QUOTE ]

so what is "our own"....555

The the main differences in Cities/States in the USA is due to who/which country's emmigres settled there and the cuture they bought with them from my experience in my travels there...

i guess climate does play some role in that...so say Florida vs Minnesota...do we not count the Latinos and Jewish retirees when we think of Miami vs the Germanic sausage, cheese and beer roots of Wisconsin/Minesota?...I guess people were attracted to a similar climate in the USA as they had "back home"..but it is what they bought with them that has changed the "culture"

hard to tear them apart...
    I guess I mean white people 5555

I certainly love all the different cultures but when I am in a Latino part of LA, I am not thinking of them as "my own" and I don't mean that in any negative way
    Same with being in a Chinatown anywhere

And you are correct that with how the US was built, a lot of cultures come from immigrants, all the culture comes from there

But for example
    I'm on Mississippi Ave in Portland, it feels I am around people of the same ethnicity
    Same with being down in white areas down south

But they are still vastly different than what I am used to, the people and at times, the food, just the overall general feel

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    . Especially the friendliness and hospitality of the people. And this is one of the things they talked about. .

When I did the US last year this was the biggest thing I was surprised by. Very nice people.

Oh and they drive on the wrong side of the road.