Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Are you a D.I.Y Guy

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Are you a D.I.Y Guy

Are you the do it yourself type? What projects to do enjoy or have done.

When I was younger I always did building projects then it turned to hotrods. As my business grew I didn't have the time so paid people.

But now with more time on my hands and not having the business income I have been doing things myself again. I been building a house at the moment and been very hands on working 5 days a week at it and having a blast. I enjoy doing some of the things myself and get a lot of satisfaction when seeing it done. Plus the money saved.
    Must say I'm over painting into my 4th week and got a few days to go.

So what have you done, enjoy doing or are you just a pay the dude type.

I cook and clean for myself.. does that count? ..55
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Ive always tried to have a go at fixing things Cars / home Etc , but i find its getting harder . New cars are too hard now , if I lift the Bonnet on my new car I cant recognize most of the shit under there except maybe the battery . even getting a jump start for a flat battery you do at your own peril .
    I live in a Town House so you technically not allowed to alter anything on the outside of your house , but I do fix , paint, re new things on the inside except any thing electrical .
    Ill have a go at fixing most stuff like my push bike, but even they are getting a bit high tech for this old f@cker . I really hate paying other people to do stuff that I might be able to do .
    I do get a feeling of job satisfaction at doing it myself I must say.
    Last edited by Tingtong; 2nd November 2017 at 11:08.
    OZZYGUY and Cuzzy like this.

Started re-building engines at 15 years, mainly Mini 850/1000cc, later jag 6 cyl, lotus 2L, nissan 3L TT. Also learnt basics of outboards and inboard diesels as a necessity of boating. Rebuilt many wrecked cars, bought at Turners auctions in AKL, my favourite being a Jensen Healy which had hit a pole, been rolled and came to rest against a fence post ... not many panels left unscathed!

Then I started renovating houses and in Qld, got into building at one stage so I did quite a few new homes for myself. Despite a love of boating and near whole life on or near the sea, I only did one yacht part-restoration, a 20 year old 45' ketch which I then cruised the east coast for 2 years.

Airlie Beach Fun Race 1999 - with crew aboard!

Strange coincidence was meeting the [helicopter] photographer here in Chiang Mai ... friend of Moo's, Ziggy? IIRC
    Quarky, Sydney, Chob and 3 others like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

My DIY Vegie Farm

Hydro Farm 01.jpg
    --
    Hydro Farm 02.jpg
    Quarky, Ian Forbes and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cuzzy's Avatar
    Used to do most things myself.

Engines, all things vehicular, house renos.

I'm with KR on the new bicycles..
    setting up a Shimano set is beyond me.

I limit myself to house stuff now although the right front cv joint on the Nissan needs replacing so I'm keen to get into that this weekend. Gotta buy a 34mm deep socket to do it, typically it's the size I don't have 555
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Experts : People who know more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Haha

I got a bookshelf delivered that needed to be assembled 3 months ago

Put it in the storage closet until my wife came and she put it together in about an hour.

She is the handy man in our relationship.....I know fuck all 555
    Quarky, PeteGill, OZZYGUY and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Haha

Put it in the storage closet until my wife came and she put it together in about an hour.

Some people simply don't wish to learn handyman skills, even semi-academic or lifestyle ones like cooking. I could not go through life without knowing how things work and started cooking [informally] aged 12, and pulling things like Dad's new Grundig stereo apart to see what made it work.

I learnt enough about cooking to manage restaurants, run a catering business and open a restaurant ... all without formal tuition. I'm still learning.

Modest electrics and electronic knowledge has helped me out of some sticky situations, one after an electrical fire in a new boat I was delivering, some 40nm offshore! I designed and built a simple comparator electronic Temperature Warning Device for Nissan 300zx's ... sold 100's of them but it evolved out of a need to safeguard my own engine.

Each to their own choice of skills, some are better at say languages, others mathematics ... I could never work as say, a surveyor, I found trigonometry beyond my comprehension. I did self-learn navigation, because of a need, and later breezed through maritime courses. No sextant or lunar tables used nowadays.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

KR a bit of topic , but have you ever seen or sailed a Mcgreggor 28' ?. I love them from what ive seen, and want to buy one . Only 2 things stop me , I cant sail and I dont have enough money 555. But look like a sick boat to me . Half sail boat , half motor boat and half carravan 55.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    KR a bit of topic , but have you ever seen or sailed a Mcgreggor 28' ?. I love them from what ive seen, and want to buy one . Only 2 things stop me , I cant sail and I dont have enough money 555. But look like a sick boat to me . Half sail boat , half motor boat and half carravan 55.
    Ideal first yacht to learn on by looks of it, very forgiving I'd say. Looks trailerable though perhaps oversize (?) especially for anything less than a V8 or diesel tow vehicle. If you can buy used you'll save heaps and keep in dry store to save on maintenance. All sailing clubs offer lessons and you'd probably be invited out to crew during events so it's easy to gain experience.

I sailed older style Jim Young designed sloops (~40') in NZ during my teens and went solo in my Carbineer ketch in Australian waters many years later. Everything in between were big diesel cruisers.
    Tingtong likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Not enough Sailing threads on this forum IMO .......... 5555

I also come form a sailing background, racing, pleasure, large and small craft ..

Have dipped in and out of buying a boat a lot recently, that has sails, rather than just a engine ....main thing that has stopped me each time is knowing i dont have the time to use it ..........

But there is nothing that beats that moment when you flick the key off and silence prevails bar the slight slapping of the sail ... that and waking up below to hear the water lapping against the boat at anchorage

I have never prescribed to the adage .. two happiest days of owning a boat are ........ bullocks, you are doing something wrong if you think that
    OZZYGUY and Tingtong like this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Ideal first yacht to learn on by looks of it, very forgiving I'd say. Looks trailerable though perhaps oversize (?) especially for anything less than a V8 or diesel tow vehicle. If you can buy used you'll save heaps and keep in dry store to save on maintenance. All sailing clubs offer lessons and you'd probably be invited out to crew during events so it's easy to gain experience.

I sailed older style Jim Young designed sloops (~40') in NZ during my teens and went solo in my Carbineer ketch in Australian waters many years later. Everything in between were big diesel cruisers.
    Yeah Ive read up about the mighty mcgregor and they are a trailer sailor and dont have a keel. They have balast tanks that you fill when sailing to keep them upright. When motoring you emply them. They can run a 60 horse motor and pull a skier . the thing I like is that if the wind is too strong or you need to get over a Bar to go out to sea you have the power to get there.
    IIRC they weigh about 1.200 kgs so very trailer able with a decent 4wd like you said , a v8 or similar.
    The first time I saw one was sitting on the beach at Watsons bay in Sydney and saw this yacht go past at about 40 ks an hour. WTF I had to research yachts to make sure I wasnt seeing things 55
    kaptainrob and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post

I also come form a sailing background, racing, pleasure, large and small craft ..

Have dipped in and out of buying a boat a lot recently, that has sails, rather than just a engine ....main thing that has stopped me each time is knowing i dont have the time to use it ..........

But there is nothing that beats that moment when you flick the key off and silence prevails bar the slight slapping of the sail ... that and waking up below to hear the water lapping against the boat at anchorage

I have never prescribed to the adage .. two happiest days of owning a boat are ........ bullocks, you are doing something wrong if you think that
    Yeah, sailing is fun!

Sydney and kaptainrob like this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post

"And sometimes think in all this world the saddest thing to be
    ...old Admirals who feel the wind are never put to sea ..."
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Jack of all trades master of none

You never really learn about something until you fk it up 555
    Quarky, kaptainrob, Dupree and 3 others like this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    D.I.Y, yes where I can. I remember when I was a lad and learning from an early age that patience is the key. I was fixing my first push bike puncture and I kept pinching the repaired tube I had vulcanized myself, well I got the shits after replacing the wheel to the bike after the third time, picked the bike up and threw it for all I was worth. Result, a bent frame after it hit the fence support.

Have been an owner builder on a few projects and done some major renovations over the years and learn something new everyday. Managing a farm these days (17 years) you learn to improvise and I have picked up a few skills.

The early years taught me to not always reach for a bigger hammer.
    Minder, OZZYGUY and Tingtong like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Some people simply don't wish to learn handyman skills, even semi-academic or lifestyle ones like cooking. I could not go through life without knowing how things work and started cooking [informally] aged 12, and pulling things like Dad's new Grundig stereo apart to see what made it work.

I learnt enough about cooking to manage restaurants, run a catering business and open a restaurant ... all without formal tuition. I'm still learning.

Modest electrics and electronic knowledge has helped me out of some sticky situations, one after an electrical fire in a new boat I was delivering, some 40nm offshore! I designed and built a simple comparator electronic Temperature Warning Device for Nissan 300zx's ... sold 100's of them but it evolved out of a need to safeguard my own engine.

Each to their own choice of skills, some are better at say languages, others mathematics ... I could never work as say, a surveyor, I found trigonometry beyond my comprehension. I did self-learn navigation, because of a need, and later breezed through maritime courses. No sextant or lunar tables used nowadays.
    I have a mental block when it comes to anything like that

I tried to assemble it and it all seems to be in some language that doesn't exist!

I also don't have the focus for it.

Even just down in Florida we had to help my BIL with a TV and mount
    Now Ao does that a lot when they work trade shows

But she didn't need to be involved but she has something where she needs to solve it.
    I don't!!

Beyond that, I am pretty self sufficient

DIY often a matter of necessity and economics for me in earlier days; basic maintenance and repairs on what then were basic motorbikes and cars; then technology took over, just about limited to air pressures and cleaning, buying new vehicles with warranties that ruled out any owner maintenance or were voided

Bought first house at 25, no choice but to do everything I could myself, my own labour was cheap. Removed all windows and replaced with aluminium joinery, painted, wallpapered, built balcony, fences, a 60m retaining wall, concreted paths, built a garage and separate shed/greenhouse using windows from house

Next house, bought in better/renovated condition, built a series of tiered retaining walls and a shed (had a new Harley now, needed its own secure room, carpets of course) about all for that one

And another, my last in NZ, low maintenance house bought at two-years old, house needed nothing but the section had never been properly landscaped, hill section with house sprawled over three levels. Completed fences, a real effort that was carrying sacks of concrete, posts etc up to the top, crowbar and spade to dig postholes in clay/rock. More terraced retaining walls (I'd had plenty of practice), a deck, raised gardens with fishpond ... developed second internal garage into something more interesting, lined and carpeted (a new Triumph this time), sound system, chairs, never got round to setting up a proper bar

Thailand, exterior renovation of a house, mainly preparation for re-staining the hardwood, checked/replaced all the shutter/window hinges, patched any damaged timber. I had audience participation, but not much help ... my efforts were viewed and reviewed daily by the neighbours, so many trips up and down my homebuilt 6m eucalyptus timber ladder. That was 2010, still looks good.

Leave vehicle maintenance to the dealer now; but I do mend my own puncturesnand change tyres on the bicycle ... I'm now low maintenance.
    Last edited by Hatari; 2nd November 2017 at 19:20.
    Quarky and OZZYGUY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Haha

My ex wife is the handy man in her relationship, her BF is a numbers guy can not do a thing......She has been doing all sorts of D.I.Y stuff from installing flat packed kitchens, retic in the garden to painting.

She keeps borrowing my tools and never brings them back...55

Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post

Have been an owner builder on a few projects The early years taught me to not always reach for a bigger hammer.
    This is my 3rd time as a owner builder and 9th build, I was taught many years ago "keep your wood as long as you can for as long as you can"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast