Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By retdent
  • 1 Post By Chob
  • 1 Post By Chob
  • 1 Post By retdent
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob

Thread: Lazada - Asia's Amazon?

Lazada - Asia's Amazon?

Lazada was started in Asia by a German group, in 2011, and was designed to emulate Amazon. The company is now controlled by Alibaba, as major shareholder.

We've been buying items through Lazada for some years now, initially cosmetics for Jo which were bargain-priced compared with big retail. More recently larger items such as an espresso machine.

Lazada's prices are not always cheapest, it pays to check around, though their delivery and refund service is superb. We returned suitcase covers which did not fit the hardcase size as specified. One simply completes an online form and then drop off the item with generated return code at any 7-11.

A 2 year old KRUPS espresso machine we'd bought at HomePro had been repaired 4 times during warranty (2yrs). It blew up again, just out of warranty and the service centre wanted 2000 bt for (yet) another repair for the same recurring fault. I said, forget it, we'll buy another brand.

I researched all leading brands online and read reviews, nothing really excited me. We only wanted a simple machine for espresso with a steam wand, nothing fancy or automatic and didn't feel inclined to spend ~8,000 thb again. I had a look on Amazon US and found a Chinese cheapie for under US$100 which rated exceptionally high ... most reviewers had owned brand-name machines before and raved about how good the cheapie was.
    I found it's look-alike on Lazada, sold under the Asian brand name of Duchess, otherwise identical to the Amazon cheapie. We bought it online for ~2,500 thb and it was delivered 3 days later. Wow, best espresso ever, massive crema with each shot, and it's so much quicker and quieter than Krups! Miles cheaper too.

I would not hesitate to recommend Lazada. Their service and delivery network is excellent.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Ao says she bought her dress on the internet

I said on Amazon
    She said.....no my friend

Some TG buys dresses in bulk and advertises on Facebook
    She does a video "try-on" to see how the dress fits

Then sends it in the post for 20baht postage fee!

Sometimes Thailand is so add backwards and sometimes they make us all look stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Ao says she bought her dress on the internet

I said on Amazon
    She said.....no my friend

Some TG buys dresses in bulk and advertises on Facebook
    She does a video "try-on" to see how the dress fits

Then sends it in the post for 20baht postage fee!

Sometimes Thailand is so add backwards and sometimes they make us all look stupid!
    There's a massive online trade in garments shipped down the Mekong. Jo tested out a bulk order of polo shirts, the same ones you'll see in every shopping mall, and made good money on them but it was barely worth the effort.

Thaipost makes a fortune out of such online trade thru FB though not with Lazada who have their own network of contractor motorbikes and pickups.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

At about 2,500 baht they can be considered disposable. At that price, even lasting only a year, still beats buying at Amazon (coffee at PTT stations).
    kaptainrob likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    My neighbour Pinot and his missus are Lazada shopaholics.

But both products ( cheapos ) that my tg was enjoined to buy with Pinots wife were crap.
    Zablive likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    In fact there are so many products coming out of China that dont ever work , or work once or for a day , I marvel that they were ever made !

Screwdrivers that have heads that twist off first turn , an electric can opener that wouldnt pierce the tin , forks that bend on contact , toasters that smell of electrical fire when you turn them on ,,, the only thing many Chinese products are good for is landfill.
    Zablive likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Stainless steel and Titanium exhaust I got for my big Honda for $150 from China was top notch. 30k kms and was still going strong.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Cadet Gold
    Yeah, been shopping on Lazada a lot lately, quick delivery also and prices are mostly lower. Also have official stores so buyers know is from the real distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    In fact there are so many products coming out of China that dont ever work , or work once or for a day , I marvel that they were ever made !

Screwdrivers that have heads that twist off first turn , an electric can opener that wouldnt pierce the tin , forks that bend on contact , toasters that smell of electrical fire when you turn them on ,,, the only thing many Chinese products are good for is landfill.
    Very true, and the worst products end up here. Handyman tools are especially crap and even Stanley can't be trusted ... just grab a sampling of spirit levels and place all side by side on the floor ... you'll laugh your head off.

Lazada, as with any retailer, is just that .... a retailer. I did my research [due diligence] online before buying. Funny thing as it turns out, Retdent has same machine but a mate just spent 10k bt for a Mini Mex which makes crap coffee ... he now regrets not buying our Duchess, on Lazada.

I was looking at buying a bicycle on Lazada @ 6,200 bt but would not do so without a personal appraisal and trial spin. Off to local bike shop and they had the same quality LA model @ 6,500 which was happily discounted 300 bt anyway. I looked at some of the alternate choice brands (made in China, some cheaper by 1k bt) but the fittings, welds, general design and ride was very poor.
    Cheers, Rob.

My mate that Kaptain referred to put me onto the Duchess, he has had for over a year now. He purchased the new one on an impulse buy for his new entertaining area near the pool, so he now has two machines. He will stick with the Duchess, guests will get the crap; I'll just walk into his house and make my own, no crap for me (but plenty from me).
    kaptainrob likes this.

Cadet Gold
    I did have a look at the lazada site but it was in thai and couldnt find a way to change it to english as a vlogger i watch is always banging on about buying this from lazada and that there must have been a way as he is a pom i just couldnt work it out he rekons they are pretty good .

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    I did have a look at the lazada site but it was in thai and couldnt find a way to change it to english as a vlogger i watch is always banging on about buying this from lazada and that there must have been a way as he is a pom i just couldnt work it out he rekons they are pretty good .
    Top right hand corner of Lazada page, click for English.
    crispy likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Cadet Gold
    Yea i must have missed it or it was in thai it was when i was in bangkok at home by myself otherwise the girl would have directed me .