Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: The world is changing

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

The world is changing

The new Amazon Go grocery store

No check out lane.
    You just grab what you want and if you leave the store with it, your account gets charged

Amazing

It's such a double-edged sword.

I only use food delivery apps now to get food delivered. Everything is done on the app so when the delivery guy gets to your door, you barely speak to him .
    That's great and efficient but we are losing a lot of personal connection

At airports.....you barely need to interact with agents anymore for passport control

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/2...module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage

Seems like shops of the future you won't ever enter physically... which is a shame as I like to try on clothes.. and most of the food I buy these days I need to see and feel it to make sure it is fresh etc... will be sad when all that goes.. to be replaced by home delivery...

They are right... you'll be able to work, sleep, eat and shop from your own bedroom soon... never leave it... which sort of has an appeal... but sort of doesn't too... 55
    Cuzzy likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    I doubt it will ever go DP, people like to shop, but bricks and mortar stores will need to be hybrids to survive much like the. Bigger chains are already doing, some smaller specially stores be ok, but most won't be

Christmas time the stores are packed, you can't do it all online .

But more to m26's point many of the bigger stores it's already self checkout so no interaction needed
    Stillearly likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    I doubt it will ever go DP, people like to shop, but bricks and mortar stores will need to be hybrids to survive much like the. Bigger chains are already doing, some smaller specially stores be ok, but most won't be

Christmas time the stores are packed, you can't do it all online .

But more to m26's point many of the bigger stores it's already self checkout so no interaction needed
    I like a mix of both and hopefully that continues

I love small mom and pop stores
    I like interacting when I am out shopping

But man do I like not having to talk to anyone when I am home 5555

Wetherspoons (slightly lower end chain of bars ) allows you to order your beverages and food through an APP and it gets brought to your table by one of its lovely staff

Ive never used it as im not a frequent enough visitor or maybe an old fashioned person i guess , but it must just deduct your account like uber
    Quarky likes this.

I like the independently owned stores as well... especially old fashioned independent department stores unique to small towns.. they are almost all gone in the UK.. but the ones that are left.. I just love wandering around them.... though they hardly have any customers... makes me wonder how our local department store survives...

It astounds me when I go into a smaller store, let's take a shoe store for example, and let's take a Monday morning as that's when I do most my shopping when the place is empty and I have it all to myself ... 55 and the staff are standing there doing absolutely nothing but looking at their phones, and I ask if they have a online store knowing full well they haven't as there is no signs in there advertising it, I mean you could setup a small area out the back to pack and dispatch any orders purchased online over the weekend and give your staff something to do for the first couple of hours

Ok your prices aren't going to be as competitive as most of the other full online shoe stores but you can offer other advantages

However the other day my wonderment on this was answered in a fairly large surf clothing store that had all the major brands ... after asking them my usual question the owner said he wasn't allowed by the brand to sell online

So there you go. Another reason real stores will be around for a while longer

It astounds me when I go into a smaller store, let's take a shoe store for example, and let's take a Monday morning as that's when I do most my shopping when the place is empty and I have it all to myself ... 55 and the staff are standing there doing absolutely nothing but looking at their phones, and I ask if they have a online store knowing full well they haven't as there is no signs in there advertising it, I mean you could setup a small area out the back to pack and dispatch any orders purchased online over the weekend and give your staff something to do for the first couple of hours

Ok your prices aren't going to be as competitive as most of the other full online shoe stores but you can offer other advantages

However the other day my wonderment on this was answered in a fairly large surf clothing store that had all the major brands ... after asking them my usual question the owner said he wasn't allowed by the brand to sell online

My local dept store has an online presence.. but you can't buy anything via their website! I can't see them existing much longer sadly... but I love wandering around the store... it's like an old big house...

My Uncle owns his own shoe store.... and he said that last year 70% of their sales are now online...

Shoe stores and proper running shoe stores are something that adds huge value to a shopper

It makes a huge difference to have someone knowledagble selling your shoes/running shoes

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Shoe stores and proper running shoe stores are something that adds huge value to a shopper

It makes a huge difference to have someone knowledagble selling your shoes/running shoes
    True. Yet another reason why you need shops. Bugger not being able to try on the shoe that plan to run in 5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

The world is changing

Although online can be handy sometimes ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indeed... but then you go home and buy the exact running shoe you were trying on for 50% less online... and that is what is killing physical shops... everywhere....
    Minder likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Although online can be handy sometimes ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I can buy Super Bowl tickets online 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I can buy Super Bowl tickets online 555
    I'd wait a couple of hours before you do
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I'd wait a couple of hours before you do
    1st off.....
    Your original post was funny as fxuk

Now Obnoxious Pats fan post 555

20 years they been doing this

Nothing in my sports life will ever beat rooting for that QB

PS.....like that you are following it!
    Stillearly likes this.

Platinum
    True. Yet another reason why you need shops. Bugger not being able to try on the shoe that plan to run in 5555
    A lot of people go to the shop to try on shoes or clothes and then go home and order them online, I guess they will miss the shops when they are gone...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Quarky and Sydney like this.

1st off.....
    Your original post was funny as fxuk

Now Obnoxious Pats fan post 555

20 years they been doing this

Nothing in my sports life will ever beat rooting for that QB

PS.....like that you are following it!
    I tried to stay up for the last quarter... but I knew if I did, no magic would happen... the magic only happens when I sleep... 55

It never occurred to me that Australia didn't have access to Amazon until now. Had to buy via the US site until now. Guess free delivery was out?

Amazon's arrival set to shake up Australia's retail sector - BBC News

Amazon has made its long-awaited entry into Australia, in a move that could have ramifications for the country's A$300bn (171bn) retail sector.

Online shopping makes up a relatively small - but growing - proportion of retail sales in Australia.

Geography, poor infrastructure and firms slow to adapt to e-commerce have held the sector back.

Australia's retail industry association said Amazon would help local firms by providing a new sales platform.

Australian consumers could previously buy through Amazon's US site. From Tuesday they can buy locally, as the American retail giant has established a huge distribution warehouse on the outskirts of Melbourne on the country's east coast, home to most of the population.

The move should cut shipping costs and delivery times for Australian shoppers.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    ^^^ Whilst we see new trends around us and just assume that they will be the norm for everybody one day. Just keep in mind that large swathes of the planet do not have access to the internet or on-line shopping.

In 'shit hole' wherever people still go to shops, big and small and pay in cash. And that won't change any time soon.

Oops Just to add, not referring to Oz there 5555
    Hatari likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    I'm sure they could program these to ask the top 10 BG questions.

20161209_152622.jpg
    PeteGill likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast