• 1 Post By bacwaan
  • 1 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 3 Post By MarcTwoSix
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY

Thread: Work expenses and fees

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Work expenses and fees

Whatís your thoughts on this?

My job is commission only however they get me doing some other jobs on a day rate plus expenses.

Once a month I travel from my place in the west coast to the east. Itís a 3.5 to 5hr flight pending location and Iím just over an hour out of the airport.

The last few trips I leave home about 2am, get the early flight and squeeze in a few meetings in the afternoon and charge the agreed day rate. But after a few days Iím totally stuffed, that early flight on the first day gets me and the 3hrs time difference.

So this trip Iím flying over today, Sunday. I got the launch time flight will chill out tonight and do my work tomorrow.

Should I charge the day rate today? No meetings just travel. Oh and also my expenses tonight like beers and stuff.

Whats your thoughts?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I don't think you are out of line at all to tell them you prefer to fly in the night before and also expensing it

I do that also
    There is red eye flights that I can take that get me in at

But I refuse to do that because, as you said, it stuffs you

I think you can be completely honest and tell them you just prefer to fly in the night before and be fresh for your meetings
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Thanks Paulie, do you charge everyting. Like beers, food, parking, etc...

I added the airport beers in the last invoice as "meals etc" felt a bit guilty....55

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Thanks Paulie, do you charge everyting. Like beers, food, parking, etc...

I added the airport beers in the last invoice as "meals etc" felt a bit guilty....55
    Yes I charge everything I feel is reasonable

I don't take advantage of my expense account so I feel if I am travelling for work and want a few beers with my meal I expense it

I eat a lot of small expenses just because I can't be aased to add them but feel it washes out in the end

Yeah, the last thing I want to do is take advantage, but also don’t want to short change myself.

Its different when it’s your own business, but I have never been in this situation and it’s a cracker of a job so don’t what to get off side.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Yeah, the last thing I want to do is take advantage, but also don’t want to short change myself.

Its different when it’s your own business, but I have never been in this situation and it’s a cracker of a job so don’t what to get off side.
    Just calculate the profit they gain from you against what they pay you.. 555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I fully agree with Paulie,

You are entitled to travel the day before so you are fresh and prepared, especially when going to an earlier time zone.

I can't remember the exact distance but for sales reps if they are 50 ?? klm from their home or office they are entitled to meal money and accomodation.
    There is an award set allowance. It used to be around the $45 mark but would be more now.

I would think if you are producing what they want then there will be no question on the expenses, unless you go crazy with it.

I would also be up front and talk to whoever is in charge of these things and explain your reason. i would point out there is every chance your production will be better if you are rested and fresh, also point out you are giving up your weekend without charging penalties.

The next step could be taking clients to dinner or lunch on the Sunday when you arrive so get a guide on what will be accepted.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Expenses YES...Day Rate NO..it's your choice to travel earlier and be fresh but I assume you will be able to fit more meetings in tomorrow so they should be glad to pay your travel/hotel/meals expenses for today/night (Sunday)
    Minder and OZZYGUY like this.

2 against 1 Nels.....55

Im still not convinced think I will talk with them about it.

The thing is landing the day before I can get more work done the first day too.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    IMO.........talk to your employer and ask what their views are in your situation.......red eye flights are for going home and relaxing 555
    Moo Uaon and OZZYGUY like this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Funny, when I was in sales, I used to be able to charge for meals, coffee, tea and using the gym against expenses (though hardly ever did as I prefer to go running) but wasn't allowed to charge alcohol on it. I don't drink alcohol very often anyway and only found out when on a business trip with my boss at the time, and he bought us a beer and asked the waiter of he could put coffees on the receipt... 55

Nowadays in our own business we are up front that we will only do certain meetings if accommodation and travel expenses are paid for... no one has refused yet... but only a day rate charge for the day of the meeting... and accommodation and travel costs (train/car/plane) the day/night before..
    Last edited by Quarky; 11th February 2018 at 21:08.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    As a consultant, I only charge hotels, taxis and flights; never food, drink or other expenses. I normally fly the night prior, and often similar cost...cheaper flight typically offsets hotel cost.

Your day rate arrangement sounds more akin to employment, and thus negotiable, particularly if it is regular and they are your only/primary client. If infrequent, then I see it as someone paying my travel costs to market my services in another city.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

2 against 1 Nels.....55

Im still not convinced think I will talk with them about it.

The thing is landing the day before I can get more work done the first day too.
    Yep..definitely talk to them about their expectations on this...and explain that you are too kanckered to do the job justice when you are leaving home at 2am..

But read the replies again Ash...I don't see anyone writing that you should claim for a days work for today (Sunday) as you have decided to travel on YOUR time...just that they all feel you are entitled to fair expenses for travel...accoomodation, meals, taxis etc

When I was an employer I would pay all reasonable expenses for my staff when they were travelling...and I didn't expect them to start their travels much earlier than their usual working hours...so about 7.30-8am to leave home...if they needed another day to wind up the Biz then fair enough...I do think you have made a bit of a rod for your own back here by starting out at 2am for a days work...I would never expect any of my employees to do that

If I were you I would leave home quite a bit later...take a plane at a reasonable hour on Monday and try to get a meeting in at the end of the day...even if it is just a dinner meeting...with the cost of that being met by the company...then I think you have grounds for charging your day rate as well...
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Expenses YES...Day Rate NO..it's your choice to travel earlier and be fresh but I assume you will be able to fit more meetings in tomorrow so they should be glad to pay your travel/hotel/meals expenses for today/night (Sunday)
    Agree... I did months of working Mon to Fri in Sydney from Perth a few years ago ... the bistro next to my hotel would put the two Crown lagers I had with dinner each night down as an Entree on the tab .... I'll never get paid for those Sunday travel hours ... mai bpen lai ...
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

I never had an issue with any of my staff claiming a few beers or glasses of wine with their meals when traveling on Biz for the company...they are giving up ther time to do business for you so deserve at least the comforts of home when away...my general rule if anyone asked me was have what you'd normally have at home but treat yourself a little without going crazy as well

When I was traveling on someone elses dime to go to Europe to furniture exhibitions I would pretty much always break my journey in BKK and have a weekend there...leave about mid afternoon Friday, get in about 10.30pm, quickly shpwer/shave etc and then hit the diso..I had Friday and Saturday nights in BKK and than take a plane onto Barcelona/Paris/Milan late Sunday night...these flights always got me in pretty fresh (I was usually in Biz Class) ready for the shows Monday Morning...of course I never charged expenses for my time in BKK...that was MY Time...however I put whatever I wanted on my hotel tab whilst there including champagne etc...we were all told to enjoy ourselves whislt there
    OZZYGUY likes this.

I travel a lot for business but my job seems a bit different than most in that I am not travelling to do a job
    My biz travel is almost 100% entertainment so I think I likely have a but more leeway than most

I went fishing Friday all day and that was an expense 5555

One thing is although I talk often about preferring 5 star/luxury hotels
    When I travel for business I try and keep my hotel expense down
    I use Priceline and Hotwire and often get 4-4.5 star hotels on the 150-250/my range and 250 is on the high side.....usually around 200/nt
    And if things look two expensive then I don't have an issue staying in a nice 3 star hotel

Another big thing is a lot of people don't want to go out for big dinners anymore. Just drinks for a couple hours.

So that helps a lot

I also set our annual expense budget
    OZZYGUY likes this.

This is my hotel in Florida that I am at now for a conference
    I'm not digging ditches 5555

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Quarky, bacwaan and OZZYGUY like this.

This is another thing..

I fly cattle class and stay mid class hotels around $150 AUD a night. Rent a small car. Eat at cheaper places normally Asian. Thats what I do if im paying so do the same and charge them.

Im a consultant but I report to the guy at the top end and work with the board. Its a public company and everyone in our team is at the pointy end of the company. They travel business and the expenses are at the top end. They dont seam to bother about costs to much its sharholders money.

Im happy traveling the way I do but they do get off cheap.
    Minder likes this.

This is another thing..

I fly cattle class and stay mid class hotels around $150 AUD a night. Rent a small car. Eat at cheaper places normally Asian. Thats what I do if im paying so do the same and charge them.

Im a consultant but I report to the guy at the top end and work with the board. Its a public company and everyone in our team is at the pointy end of the company. They travel business and the expenses are at the top end. They dont seam to bother about costs to much its sharholders money.

Im happy traveling the way I do but they do get off cheap.
    Yeah my old boss would only stay in Starwood hotels to get the miles
    Didn't matter if it was 400-500usd while I would find a hotel for 200usd

I definitely don't eat cheaply......I will eat at nice places even it's for my meal and not with clients

I also think you can look at how much that trip is making the firm

My weekend conference will end up being about 2500-2700cad

But the relationships strengthened and also new ones gained is work 100x that.....literally