The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How you carry your money

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar

How you carry your money

so we were having a conversation in a mates hotel/restaurant/bar the other night about how people organise the money they carry on them after one guy who was in our company stood up to go to the loo, dropped 2 x 1K baht notes on the floor and wandered off...

Of course being pisstaking Irishmen the money was put on the bar in clear view and when the guy came back no mention was made of it...until like 2 hours later when he went to pay and found that he had no cash on him...he retraced his steps back to the toilet and all the time my mean mates were staying schtum...it wasn't until he was getting quite flabbergasted that I suggested to him that he may have left it on the bar....and lo and behold...he actually let out a yell of excitement

which got us around to the topic...he said that he always just stuffs some dosh in his shorts before he heads out..but just 2 x 1K notes...other mates had money in their shirt pockets..one had a silver $ clip with maybe 10K in it...one had a wallet with money just crammed in..but when it came to me my wallet was snatched from me and inspected...as they know that I am usually quite "organised"....555

My wallet has 2 compartments..in the back one I keep 1K + 500 baht notes and the other 100s, 50s and 20s...plus my credit cards are all in their separate slots along with my drivers licence and a copy of my passport front page...well, didn't I get shit for this...it amused them all for hours on end 555

TBH I consider the way I organise my money in my wallet to be pretty ordinary...apart from the fact that I have all the notes with the same face showing in order...something they didn't notice or I would have been crucified...and I always put my money back after change the same way..no matter how mao I may get during a night out...

So I was just wondering..how do you guys sort out the money you carry on you?...wallets, clips, pockets, waistbands, bum bags???...what's your style

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I am 46yrs old, I just got my 1st wallet about 4 years ago

I used to just carry everything loose
    My mom tried to buy me a wallet for Xmas for like 15 years(BECAUSE I LOSE EVERYTHING!) but I returned it every year

Then Ao bought me a nice one(BECAUSE I LOSE EVERYTHING) and I tried it and like it
    Although I don't keep my money it, still out loose, but very organized, in my pocket

Also, I hate crinkled money
    I used to iron my bills when I was younger
    If at work, if I am going for lunch and someone gives me crinkled money to pay, I won't take it

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    When drinking, as I said many times I never take anything out with me I am not prepared to lose... so no phone, no credit cards,,, a cheap watch... only cash... in a cheap wallet... with a photocopy of my passport to identify me if I am found unconscious or dead... with my head rammed up a LB's arse. And a small amount in a pocket, in case I lose my wallet (which is likely when drunk.. 55)

So are we talking about cash carrying when sober or when drinking?
    Hatari likes this.
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    I always used to carry my wallet in my back-pocket, but the last few years it starts bothering me when sitting on it while driving..
    So I take it out and put it somewhere in the middle-console, and forget to put it back when I get out of my car.. So I do need a new way of organizing myself! 555

As a backpacker way back, I always carried $100 in my shoe as an emergency rescue, and I have used that money when I got robbed in a train from Belgrade to Budapest..!

In Thailand, I prefer to put my wallet in the handbag of my favorite lady of the moment, as nobody will steal a BG's handbag, assuming that there is nothing in there worth robbing..
    I do keep my credit cards in my hotel-room safe and just have one ATM card in on of the many pockets of my shorts...

Personally I don't like to carry anything I can't afford to lose so only take enough money for the day with a Bt3000 backup in a money belt.

As you all know it is a legal requirement in Thailand to carry your passport, but that is not practical so copy shops will copy your passport photo page and entry stamp onto a laminated business card sized document. (Bt200 from memory)

The cops are usually happy to accept that, and even if they don't it is only a moto taxi ride back to the hotel to get it back out of the room safe and maybe a few hundred Baht fine.

To cut a long story short, I lost my passport in LOS some years back and trust me, I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone.

It opens up a world of nightmares, inconvenience and cost to replace it (and a trip to Thai immigration & your embassy in Bangkok), so simply put, you are mad to carry it unless exchanging money or on your way to and from the airport.

Not to mention the wear and tear on your passport for simply carrying it in your pocket.

Also I had delays in immigration when returning to the kingdom on the first few subsequent trips as the 1st stamp in my 'NEW' passport was an overstay fine etc but not a big issue, only needed an immigration supervisor to approve my entry, nowadays I have no problems as there are shit loads of entry and exit stamps with no issues.
    Last edited by Scottie; 6th March 2018 at 06:01.
    Cheers

Scottie

Platinum
    On a night out 2-3000 baht in notes in wallet in back pocket

After first couple of trips, I had made in Phuket "travelling" trousers styled after some pants I saw in a German hunting catalogue with ordinary side pockets and a back pocket but two passport+ sized pockets on the outside of each leg (this before cargo pants became popular). Each pocket has a zip at the top and also, over that, a button down flap. Also an extra large fob pocket.

Now 20 years later I have had several made as I expanded and have shorts tailor made with exactly the same configuration and wear them everywhere. Ideal for on the bike etc.

I prefer to use cash in USA and Europe etc so sometimes the sums of cash get high, but plenty of places to spread them around so nothing obvious anywhere.

Platinum
    Minor point

at night I always have my 500 baht notes folded in half so I can easily identify them from 1000 and 100's.
    Some of the places are dim ly lit and the figures don't stand out to me too well

Wouldn't want to pull out a note for a 100 baht tip and hand over a 500 without noticing.

Cadet Gold
    I've never been mugged (have been drugged and robbed but not mugged) but whenever I'm abroad or in London I always split my money up into my four trouser pockets which serves a dual purpose in that, if I were mugged I would only lose the cash in one pocket (perhaps two, if he was a persistent mugger) but it also serves to remind me how much I might be (over)spending in that, if I've got say 2000Bt in each pocket and I empty my pockets clockwise, as each pocket is emptied I have a (sort of) running total on what I'm spending - regardless of how pissed I am. Pocket one gone means I'm now into 3 or 4kBt. Pocket 2 = am having a great time. But 3 gone means I've spent 6k and it's probably time I either went home or located a secure-looking ATM.

As for the passport, I never carry one.

I'm not obliged to carry ID at home and when abroad am still an Englishman, regardless. An innocent man until proved guilty. Carrying ID is an assumption of guilt. Guilty of what? Taking up the space I'm in? Breathing?

What's the worst they can do to me for not carrying a passport? Discomfort me for a couple of hours? I'd find it enlightening rather than discomorting. More gist to the mill.

Fuck 'em.
    Last edited by BunnyGee; 6th March 2018 at 06:59.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    I had made in Phuket "travelling" trousers styled after some pants I saw in a German hunting catalogue with ordinary side pockets and a back pocket but two passport+ sized pockets on the outside of each leg (this before cargo pants became popular). Each pocket has a zip at the top and also, over that, a button down flap. Also an extra large fob pocket.
    this catalogue?

functional but not for everyone!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    I'm with you Baccy and TLH.

Money in a billfold carried in a front pocket ever since I was almost pickpocketed by a gang of kids on Bugis Street decades ago.

Money folded in half and stowed in ascending order ever since a NY bartender gave me $100 change instead of $1 !
    It also doesn't "flash the cash" when you open the billfold.

Never carry a credit card when out and about and always a laminated PP/permission to stay stamp.
    If you get the wrong cop or military and try the "I'm an Englishman" crap you could be banged up until you have someone who can get your passport, bring it to you and pay the fine - it happens.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Wallet in front pocket.
    I go out with the money in order and come back with it in a mess.
    Generally the bigger notes still in order at the back.
    I do like the 1k and 500bht split.

Prefer CC in Aus.
    Count the damage the next day as it updates...
    $350 done on Saturday night 😣

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Was given a silver money clip for my 21st B'day , lost it the same night ...

carry a wallet , it's fairly organised when I go out , smaller notes at the front , in Thailand I normally take out 10k and no cards

only "lost" my wallet once in Patong , at the end of the night , gutted because the wallet was worth more than the contents, it was a Paul Smith brown Union Jack , wasn't able to get a replacement as they had stopped making that paticular design , now have one of his naked lady wallets. At home I have a dunhill as it has more room for cards , for travel I use a Bellroy passport sized wallet

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post

Never carry a credit card when out and about and always a laminated PP/permission to stay stamp.
    Not when travelling

But at home I can go virtually weeks without having a dollar of cash on me
    I just use my CC for everything

We have the Tap here also....so when shopping you just tap it
    So convenient

Actually I love the new Amazon grocery store
    No registers it registers your card that is still in your wallet and scans everything when you walk out the door

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Not when travelling

So convenient

No registers it registers your card that is still in your wallet and scans everything when you walk out the door
    Then Google floods you with ads for condoms 555!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Not when travelling

So convenient

Still a lot of places here only accept cash. Even my local butcher. Also cafes and all the local ma & pa shops... etc. Too many dodgy CCs around I guess... big chains stores can absorb the losses. Small family-owned outlets can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Still a lot of places here only accept cash. Even my local butcher. Also cafes and all the local ma & pa shops... etc. Too many dodgy CCs around I guess... big chains stores can absorb the losses. Small family-owned outlets can't.
    I think here in North America using your CC or debit card is so prevalent that places have to take them or they won't survive

It's almost weird to see someone paying with cash these days

Hell I get bullshit when someone in front of me doesn't have the Tap nowadays 555

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Then Google floods you with ads for condoms 555!
    With my spending patterns it would be more likely donut and beers ads 5555

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Options...

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I just carry a wallet.
    Has money in it.
    Seems to work for me.
    Copy passport inside, near the border there's fixed checkpoints, that and (expired) Thai licence have been ok so far

I think here in North America using your CC or debit card is so prevalent that places have to take them or they won't survive

It's almost weird to see someone paying with cash these days

Hell I get bullshit when someone in front of me doesn't have the Tap nowadays 555
    Was the same here for a while... but too much fraud has seen it go back the other way... so now you see signs in our local shops saying "we no longer accept credit cards, cash only". I don't blame them. My parent's shop in NZ found that fraudulent CCs was on the increase. Not bad enough to stop accepting them, though that was 7 years ago now. Back then the bank was taking the hit, but it was still a lot of hassle with paperwork etc they could do without. I wonder how bad it is back there now...

It tends to be smaller towns where this has become more prevalent. In the cities, I don't see cash-only shops at all. Probably higher turnover allows them to absorb it more easily.. that and less family run shops.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast