Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: What did you learn travelling?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

What did you learn travelling?

I guess you take this two routes

What did you learn initially when you 1st started travelling or what the whole experience of travelling has taught you

First I don't consider my trips to the Caribeann when younger as "travelling"
    I was always with friends and we were just focused on humping girls

But when I first travelled solo and to much different parts of the world.

I learned not everyone loved America.
    Actually I learned a lot of people don't like America or have negative thoughts toward Americans and the country

That wasn't from arrogance, I genuinely really never gave any thought to it and not having really been exposed to many other people from different countries I never really formed an opinion of people from different countries

So I was a bit taken back when so many people would comment about me being American

I just never thought in the term of "your Australian and are this or "your German and your this "

I guess overall I learned every one has a story
    Some are full of shit and it's pretty easy to tell
    And some people have a fascinating story....a lot actually

Living away from home while at Uni prepared me for travel a lot. Would have been much harder/ daunting if I had not done that... living away from home and being responsible for everything is the biggest learning curve...

Driving through Europe, I found being a Kiwi was better than being mistaken for a German, Brit, or American. Think I mentioned before in Yugoslavia (present day Macedonia I think) we were stopped at gun point by police... and they only lowered their weapons when they saw our passports and saw NZ.. they changed from cold and aggressive, to laughing and casual. They said they thought we were Germans... and they really did not like Germans.

But in general there was an anti Brit/ American and German vibe (outside Germany) in Europe back in 1990... when I got to the tourist resorts I saw why!
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Living away from home while at Uni prepared me for travel a lot. Would have been much harder/ daunting if I had not done that... living away from home and being responsible for everything is the biggest learning curve...

Living at college was a 4year drunkfest.....it didn't prepare me for shit

Well it did make me want to not go back and live back home, and I never did 20+ years and running
    So I guess it prepared me to think differently
    So I guess it prepared me in that way

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Living at college was a 4year drunkfest.....it didn't prepare me for shit

Well it did make me want to not go back and live back home, and I never did 20+ years and running
    So I guess it prepared me to think differently
    So I guess it prepared me in that way
    Drunkfest lasted the first few weeks... maybe a couple of months... then only got drunk after footy on a Saturday night. But after first year living in a Halls of Residence, 2nd, 3rd and 4th years, had to find a flat and sort out bills, power, food rent etc. Learn to live with strangers in close proximity. All things you need to do anywhere in the world. Just generally organising yourself and being sensible... as well as organising flights back home 3x a year... then working during holidays to pay for college. How can it not prepare you?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Drunkfest lasted the first few weeks... maybe a couple of months... then only got drunk after footy on a Saturday night. But after first year living in a Halls of Residence, 2nd, 3rd and 4th years, had to find a flat and sort out bills, power, food rent etc. Learn to live with strangers in close proximity. All things you need to do anywhere in the world. Just generally organising yourself and being sensible... as well as organising flights back home 3x a year... then working during holidays to pay for college. How can it not prepare you?
    i thought Uni was normally three years , what did you study or were you just slow ? 555

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    i thought Uni was normally three years , what did you study or were you just slow ? 555
    My degree was a 4 year course. Being Sports Science they wanted to make doubly sure... 55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I was a late traveller, I went 11 years without a holiday when running my business just a week off over Christmas.

I was about to brake, my accountant and long-term friend convinced me the business will be fine without me and go on a holiday. So in 2008 I did 5 weeks in Europe including renting a sail boat in Grease for two weeks.

In the 5 weeks I had one email from my staff and made more money than when I was at the business. I had some travel catching up to do and haven’t stopped since that trip.

Now I feel I am now addicted to travel...

Banned
    My degree was a 4 year course. Being Sports Science they wanted to make doubly sure... 55
    Those are 4 years you will never get back 555 Sport Science 555 What field do you work in now?

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I started travelling young as my Grandparents lived in London and we lived in AUS...so every 2-3 years or so we would undertake the massive task of travelling back to see them...we went by ship once and that took weeks...mostly we went on the "Kangaroo Hop" flights which usualy involved 5 or 6 stops (2 of which were overnight) and took about 4 days iirc.. just remember thinking that it was an eternity..and that I would read about a dozen novels and tons of magazines each way..so I guess first up I became an avid reader...555

I don't think anyone could understand the mindblowing exotica of landing in Singapore, BKK, Cairo, Rome, London etc as a kid back in the 60's unless you had done it...there was only mags like National Geographic (of which I was a devotee) or other travel mags and brochures to prepare you for it...no web back then...this really made me realise that it was not just one world...there were many worlds out there and they were all different..and exciting...needles to say this fueled wanderlust in me for my whole life...I have been to more than 100 countries and travelled the world extensively...most probably due to having this fire lit in me as a kid
    OZZYGUY likes this.

BTW...my old man's work plus my work and studies took me plenty of places to live for a while as well..

I have lived in AUS for the main part but also London/UK, NZ and Thailand (atm) for almost 10 year chunks each..NYC and San Franciso for one plus year stints, Malaysia for a year as kid as my Dad had projects there...Japan and Hong Kong for 6 months stints for work projects of my own and quite a few Euro City stints for a few months at a time...Barcelona, Rome and Paris were the most memorable ones...

I think settling down in a city/country for a while teaches you much more about human nature and the way peope interreact than a tourist styled holiday ever would
    Rockitt and Zablive like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I started travelling young as my Grandparents lived in London and we lived in AUS...so every 2-3 years or so we would undertake the massive task of travelling back to see them...we went by ship once and that took weeks...mostly we went on the "Kangaroo Hop" flights which usualy involved 5 or 6 stops (2 of which were overnight) and took about 4 days iirc.. just remember thinking that it was an eternity..and that I would read about a dozen novels and tons of magazines each way..so I guess first up I became an avid reader...555

I don't think anyone could understand the mindblowing exotica of landing in Singapore, BKK, Cairo, Rome, London etc as a kid back in the 60's unless you had done it...there was only mags like National Geographic (of which I was a devotee) or other travel mags and brochures to prepare you for it...no web back then...this really made me realise that it was not just one world...there were many worlds out there and they were all different..and exciting...needles to say this fueled wanderlust in me for my whole life...I have been to more than 100 countries and travelled the world extensively...most probably due to having this fire lit in me as a kid
    Actually good point. I forgot I travelled to the UK and back a few times as a kid with my parents which certainly helped me when travelling on my own...

Also like you I was an avid reader as a kid. Couldn't stop reading books. Then sometime during my adulthood I lost my enthusiasm for books... these days the number of books I only half read or even 3/4 read and never finish... books seem to bore me as an adult, very few hold my attention... whereas as a kid any book excited me... actually thinking about it, it's about the same time as the internet started... or my access to it... around 1995... that book reading slowed right down... I wonder if related?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    ...we went by ship once and that took weeks...
    This ship........was it wood, black sails and the captain had a patch on his eye....55
    Quarky and bacwaan like this.

^ No..ours was skippered by Admiral Nelson?....555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

JAY
    I didnt start travelling until I was 31. Actually my first trip was to LOS during my R&R break from deployment to Iraq (US Army).
    It was definitely an eyeopener. To get to experience a different culture, met some great people, learned a lot. Of course, being on a break from a warzone I spent plenty of time drinking and partying as well
    After that trip, the bug was in and I havent stopped wanting to travel since.
    You finally realize the world is a lot bigger than you ever thought it was.
    I've been to a few different places, New Zealand(3 times), Australia, Antarctica (3 times working), Djibouti, South Africa (twice), Namibia and Cambodia.
    And there's so many more places I want to go to, the problem for me is getting enough time and money away from work to fund it all.
    Hopefully one day I can figure that part out.

Actually good point. I forgot I travelled to the UK and back a few times as a kid with my parents which certainly helped me when travelling on my own...

Also like you I was an avid reader as a kid. Couldn't stop reading books. Then sometime during my adulthood I lost my enthusiasm for books... these days the number of books I only half read or even 3/4 read and never finish... books seem to bore me as an adult, very few hold my attention... whereas as a kid any book excited me... actually thinking about it, it's about the same time as the internet started... or my access to it... around 1995... that book reading slowed right down... I wonder if related?
    I would die if I stopped reading
    To me it's like going to the gym
    When I stop for a while my mind goes to mush

That isn't really how it is in the US
    Mostly college is a 4yr vacation paid by your parents if you live away from school

I worked during the summers and holidays and the last couple years of school I worked on weekends

But for the most part it really is one big party

That isn't really how it is in the US
    Mostly college is a 4yr vacation paid by your parents if you live away from school

I worked during the summers and holidays and the last couple years of school I worked on weekends

But for the most part it really is one big party
    My life was sort of the same once I started working... party at weekends... work and sport during the week... similar to uni... I was too busy to drink every night! Though some tried... but they were a minority after the first term...55

I would die if I stopped reading
    To me it's like going to the gym
    When I stop for a while my mind goes to mush
    So you saying my head has been mush since 1995?

My life was sort of the same once I started working... party at weekends... work and sport during the week... similar to uni... I was too busy to drink every night! Though some tried... but they were a minority after the first term...55
    I think I have a had a pretty fun life........nothing even compares to the 4yrs at school
    Not even close

I think I have a had a pretty fun life........nothing even compares to the 4yrs at school
    Not even close
    Contiki Tour around Europe was like uni... except it was a party in a different city/ resort every night! You should have done one!
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast